• Dove

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.84

on 1 August 2013
Housewife Hillary, lives with her bullying husband Dermot, in a village on the west coast of Ireland. Hillary has had every shred of self esteem and confidence torn from her over the years by Dermot.

Unsurprisingly, Hillary is afraid of Dermot. He is a control freak and a mean drunk. Her marriage is loveless, a sham and she has no children. Hillary knows she is different, she also wants and needs love. But Dermot is not the person she's ever really wanted. Will she ever find someone to love her? Someone she can love back?

If it wasn't for Hillary's beautiful faithful dog, Timber, she wouldn't have any affection at all in her life. Hillary's only interest is her lovely garden. However, this is all about to change. Shortly after her thirty fifth birthday, an event occurs that will change Hillary's life forever.

On the whole, the story was reasonable, even though parts of it were a touch unbelievable. But, this is fiction after all. The story ambles along at a nice pace. It made a change to read a story set in Ireland with some nice scenic descriptions.

I found myself feeling sorry for Hillary and very angry with one of the other characters. Which, I suppose is what I was meant to feel. But at the same time, I couldn't help feeling that Hillary was too naive for her own good and too quick to forgive. I don't intend to put in any spoilers, so I won't expand on this any further. The story just seemed a bit contrived in parts.

There are a few typos and grammatical errors, not enough to pull me out of the story. But for the high price I paid for this 85 print length page novella, I expected perfection. Rain McAlistair has penned a fairly reasonable novella. But, I'm not willing to buy any more of her works at the price she's asking for them.
on 20 January 2012
I bought this as a kindle download which has no sleeve notes about the author so apologies for any points which are wide of the mark.

To start, this is an excellent book, I would recommend it to anyone. The writing style has an appealing naivety which I interpret as being a deliberately skilful touch from an experienced author but, at first I took it to be a first novel from a talented beginner.

The storyline is intriguing as a tale of love in the modern world full of e-mail, messenger etc: complications Jane Austin never needed to worry about!

The narrative switches to great effect and kept this reader engaged from start to finish without once putting it down.

I, for one, am looking forward to getting the follow-up from this enigmatic (new?) author.
on 17 December 2011
This is an interesting and entertaining book. The author has achieved something special in the way she has introduced the reader to her characters. There is a real sense of who these people are and you genuinely want to know what happens to them.

There is a satisfying feeling from the beginning of the story - where you are gently introduced to the main character Hillary and her situation then the story seems to unfurl, it is about 2 women who meet and fall in love, its just like real life - its complicated.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it.
on 4 January 2013
I read this book within a day as I could not put it down. I was always so intrigued to know what happens next. Not only does this book represent lesbianism but it is also a touching love story. Would highly recommend.
on 16 June 2013
I downloaded this book this morning and finished it tonight. It is a long time since I have found a book that I literally could not put down.