Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 December 2012
I was born a little over two decades after these guitar instrumentals from the late 1950s and early 1960s were recorded, but as a guitar player, I love this type of music. There's a good selection here, with some I know (such as those by The Shadows and Duane Eddy, and of course Tequila by The Champs), some I didn't know I knew (the wonderful Hawaiian guitar of Sleep Walk by Santo & Johnny, Hit and Miss by The John Barry Seven), and others I hadn't heard before. There's a few gimmicky tunes (Rockin' Goose, with its goose-sounding keyboard), but at least they always have tunes. (And Green Jeans is a rock'n'roll take on Greensleeves!)

One disappointment was track 30, Jefferies Rock (not by Various Artists, as Amazon list it, but The Intruders), which seems to have been taken off a wobbly record. The pitch varies noticeably, and it sounds awful! I found a YouTube upload of the original single, which sounded much better, so replaced the download version with that. This seems to be the only track with this problem, though. Pity, as it mars an otherwise good budget collection.
on 14 June 2012
A good selection of 50's and 60's guitar instrumentals at a very reasonable price. This should be compulsory listening for everyone who has ever considered picking up an electric guitar.
on 3 October 2012
As an ex group member from this era, I bought this as a nostalgia trip.It contains much that we used to play in those days, and as such was a useful addition to my collection.It does contain however, in addition to a load of big trans-atlantic hits already long available in various other albums, a lot of much less well known stuff which is o.k. for the completist collector, but not always that good, even allowing for the age and historical value of the tracks.You get a lot of useful stuff for your money, but do try before you buy.
44 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 August 2015
I enjoyed this collection of old instrumental rock guitar music. There are a lot of tracks - 50 - and I didn't like them all. The beauty of a digital collection is the ability to customise it - I deleted a few I didn't care for, and I like my final collection more now. A lot of instrumental guitar music seems too quiet and slow to me, so I was pleased this isn't the case with Shazam! To gauge whether or not you'll like this collection just listen to the title track, Shazam by Duane Eddy. If you like that you'll like this collection.
on 14 December 2013
if you years are spreading upwards, then you will be taken back to your youth in grand style, quite a few interesting titles that are pretty rare, a great CD to liven up your CD player., and a fabulous record label, check out the catalogue.
on 2 July 2013
Arrived in two days very pleased with service.As an old rocker it has taken me back to many memories of my younger days and as such I am tempted to blow the dust off my guitar and get playing again.
on 4 December 2012
This was an exercise from a purely nostalgic point of view.
Whilst good to recall the good old days of guitar, some tracks were a little too obscure. Enjoyable nonetheless.
on 7 December 2014
As it says - 50 Guitar Instrumentals - most are old favourites of mine - helps being old !! Some lesser known songs and artists but overall, quite a good buy.
on 25 May 2013
I LOVE INSTRUMENTALS, AND THERE ARE SME ON THIS 2CD I HAVE NOT GOT IN MY COLLECTION, SO I HAVE BOUGHT THIS GREST PRICE TOO, I RECOMMEND THIS DOUBLE CD TO ALL.
on 18 July 2013
I like Instrumentals, this disc has good old tunes and bad like all compilation discs. I missed out on most of these tunes as I was only about 10-13!!!!