on 18 August 2017
Arrived as described. Have half read this book as a grand parent to be before I will pass to my daughter. Jo gives full and frank practical advice and I am sure this book will prove invaluable. Would highly recommend..
on 4 July 2013
great book from jo has really helped me with getting to know my son and how i can bea better father
on 19 July 2012
Just as I would have expected of anything Jo Frost does, the book is a very easy read and provides mothers with very practical and useful information. As a first-time mother, her discourse leaves me more relaxed with an understanding for the unexpected and a sense of normality even if things seem to be going wrong. Thank you Jo... love your work!
on 16 May 2015
Read a few books when I was pregnant and when baby was tiny. This won hands down. I bough the kindle version so as I couldn't lend it to my cousin I got her a copy for her baby shower too and she's found it really helpful too.
on 24 March 2016
We had this book for our first child but had lost it. We use this book as a guide and has some great techniques. It does not force an opinion on you it allows you to make your own choices.
on 7 November 2016
I bought this book as I thought it would give me as a first time mum practical advice on caring for my new born, however was disappointed with the lack of advice for when u first bring baby home, I am now reading what to expect the first year which is way better. I think Jo Frost has some good ideas, but hasnt gone through childbirth and doesnt have kids so her perspective is limited to the times she has looked after someone elses baby.
on 20 December 2011
I am a first time mother. i bought this book when my baby was about 4 or 5 months old.
i remember reading other poor reviews of this book and thinking "but her tv programme is so good her methods seem to work....."
i think i was looking for what was normal in terms of behaviour my daughter was exhibiting and how i should respond to her, particularly with regard to feeding and sleeping and routine.
i breastfeed my baby and her information regarding breastfeeding was inaccurate at best. when my daughter was between 3&6 months old she would breastfeed between 4 & 7 minutes, not 40 mins.
i found that the information regarding naps was vague, i was looking at 3-6 months in her book and babies change so much in this time..... but none of this information was helpful or even seemed to relate to my child.
i wondered if i was being harsh and had an unusual child. i asked the mummies in my postnatal group and my nct group and the mummies at the surestart childrens centre at stay and play about their babies and described what i had read in the book, and none of these mummies could relate the information or advice to their children.
my advice is simple really, if you think this is the book that will guide you through motherhood with your beautiful baby, go and have a read of it in the library before you invest money and potentially dont find what you are looking for.
the only good thing about this book is the common sense advice about how to change nappies, basic first aid etc.....however i feel this is better presented and written in the baby book by william and martha sears - this book really helped me where supernanny left me to worry.
on 11 August 2013
We bought this about 3 weeks into parenthood as we were feeling a bit adrift in the world of Gina Ford and the Baby Whisperer - one seemed too strict for a very young breast feeding baby and the other offered very little guidance as to schedules to help keep me sane. Having watched the TV series I hoped Jo's book would offer the same common sense but caring approach to baby care as she shows in the series. Fulfils those requirements to a tee, nice emphasis on trusting your own instincts and more importantly for us gives real framework of when to expect baby to be able to cope with things so I can relax and accept my baby just needed hugs and cuddles til a certain point and she won't become an unmanageable monster if I don't have her in rigid regime by 1 month old.
Well laid out, good size to read whilst feeding baby and takes you through to a year of age. Perfect.
on 26 August 2013
This book really helped with a newborn baby - very easy to read and practical help for all situations. Would recommend.
on 20 November 2013
Nothing that isn't really common sense outlined in this book so very disappointed by this read. The book is short and doesn't go into much detail about key subjects and routines.