on 15 May 2017
This was an ok book. For me it wasn't amazing or life changing but also wasn't a struggle to read.
The book follows the child Ender who is being groomed to become to the world saviour in a war against Earths enemy, the Buggers. The problem is Ender is only 6 at the beginning of the book.

This is a hard book to really love, I feel, as the themes in raise some really hard questions for me. Is it acceptable to treat a child like this? Is it acceptable to sacrifice one for the sake of the world? Is war really the answer? How violent should children be allowed to become without censorship?

If the main characters in the book were older then I wouldn't have any quarms with this book at all. The action was great and at a good pace. The story built up well and the end had a few twists and turns to keep me guessing and interested. Saying that the borderline child abuse in this book really didn't do anything for me other than upset me and make me question a humanity that could agree and carry out the treatment that Ender received.

If you can not question themes and plots and just enjoy the story then this is a good book. But if, like me, books get you to thinking about the worlds and societies within them, this one will have you shaking your head and wishing you were not part of the same human race.
on 14 March 2017
I really loved this book, I bought it for my husband for Christmas and he was raving on about it so much that I gave it a read also.

It is a fascinating science fiction read, where the fate of the future is put in the hand of a super intelligent little boy. It is interesting the way you follow the main character- a little boy called Ender, through a few meagre years of military training in the form of games and sports while they groom him into their perfect weapon.

The ending, wow. I did not see that coming! Amazing book.
on 17 September 2015
This books is almost as old as I am yet managed to not feel dated at all, which can be a risk with 80s sci-fi. My only minor problem was the aliens being called "buggers" - maybe it's a UK vs US thing, but that word is reasonably commonly used over here in both either its literal or slang sense so it kind of made the aliens a bit less scary for me. Silly buggers!

That aside, I absolutely loved this book. What was most cleverly done was that through his time in Battle School and later on, Ender slowly learns that he's being used, and how and by who. The reader is taken along on that journey of discovery with him (whilst also getting glimpses behind the curtain with his superiors) so that we as the reader are completely confident that we understand what's happening. Then that all gets turned on its head. I absolutely did not see it coming, it was so well executed!

The sweet irony of the ending was the perfect way to wrap the story up, too. That a child could see all these things that the adults couldn't conceive of made the whole thing even more affecting.
on 13 January 2015
I enjoyed Ender's Game a lot - it was nicely plotted, beautifully paced, and had a great sense of tension until the last events at Battle School kinda robbed it of what it had so painstakingly built earlier. In certain respects, it suffers from having been read so late in my life - elements of it that might have been shocking and original if I had read it earlier seem somewhat trite. It doesn't have the sweeping, deep ideas of House of Suns or any of the Culture novels,which makes it very much dependent on the novelty of the plot to capture the reader's attention. In some minor ways it hasn't dated especially well - it feels a bit 80s, if that makes any sense. It also comes across in some places as a look into the somewhat bigoted mind of the author. I'm all for separating the art from the artist, but that's hard to do when certain neanderthal views and rhetoric is slipped into the text.

But what it does have going for it is a lot - the characters, save for Peter and Valentine, come across as real individuals with complex motivations. The children don't come across *as* children, but that's okay since it seems to be a conscious decision to treat them that way and fits entirely into the whole concept of the book. The plot, which time has rendered cliche, is well constructed and expertly executed. The main themes of the book - for example, the role of duty and the burden of informed consent are explored with considerable finesse. The book is in some ways an extended allegory of the Nietzschen concept of the Ubermensch, but deconstructed and inverted. In Ender's game, the Ubermensch isn't a product of his own transcendence of moral and societal conventions, but a product of the explicit engineering of the context in which he lives. Thus, he is a mix of nature, nurture, and the power of social context. None would be as effective without the others. It also hearkens back to the 'Great Men' theory, and reconciles both the classical and modern interpretations - yes, only a truly great person can shape history, but they only become that way through the explicit building of competence by a society that needs them to function as a tool. No-one attains significance in a vacuum. The experiences of Ender have deep implications for those who want to muse on the story once they're finished reading it.

Like the best kind of 'young adult' literature, Ender's Game is literature first and 'young adult' second. It doesn't patronise the reader, and leaves the critical and important themes as subtext without feeling the need to grab anyone by the brain and yell 'These are the things about the book you should be finding important!'. It's very highly recommended, but the poorly executed ending robs it of a fifth star. Consider it a 4.5 star book.
on 26 July 2015
This book starts with six year old Anderson ‘Ender’ Wiggins being taken off to battle school where he will be trained to fight in the war against the aliens nicknamed the ‘buggers’. He quickly excels and is brilliant, but he is chosen to lead the war and to be the one to end the war. This is less a book about war and fighting, and more one about the definition of good and evil, and what humanity is capable of.

One thing this book shows amazingly is the development of Ender over the years and how he is molded into who others believe he must be. Instead of having the thoughts and beliefs of others implanted into his head, his ability to be free thinking is portrayed in a way which you can see the constant conflict he has within himself. You are able to gain an emotional attachment to this character easily, and yet you are sometimes left in the dark on his thoughts and emotions, but this just adds to the suspense. And there is action, and violence, and drama, and has a great subplot. Basically it has everything but romance.

Overall this is something I highly recommend, especially since how amazingly well written it is.
on 22 May 2017
I read this book because it had great reviews but I'd already seen the film so I wasnt sure if that would spoil it. It was like reading silk, what a really well written novel! I've read so many books recently with obvious flaws, droops in the middle of the novel with too many characters and a lack of plot from preparing to milk a series dry, but this is just a lightning fast novel concentrating on essentially one character. Could read it in one sitting and would enjoy reading it again!
on 15 January 2017
Never before has a book left me totally speechless and as emotional as this.

Enders game follows the story of Young Andrew (Ender) Wiggin. His journey through school, home life, then to battle school and so on. Through Ender we get a sense of what it is like to feel the truest fears every one of us faces... Am I a good person? Or am I psychotic for thinking these thoughts? Am I loved? Or am I used? He feels the pressure of his duties and the isolation of being a genius, while all he really seeks is a friend, acceptance and love.

This book has shaken me to the core and truly changed how I feel about myself as a person and how I feel about my loved ones. At the core of each of us is the true desire to be loved and accepted for all our faults. Ender's story is brilliant, thought-provoking, heart-breaking and hopeful. I look forward to seeing what happens next in Ender's Story.
on 30 January 2014
This is one of the first books I remember reading when I was younger. I first read this about 10 years ago in school. It was a book I couldn't put down. I never realised that there were sequels to the book and promptly left the series alone. Now I noticed there is a movie out (which I haven't seen.) and that sparked my love again. I've bought the first two prequels for the book and the first sequel. After reading the first two sequels (the third and final coming out this year) I'm on to Ender's Game again and re-reading a LOT faster than I did 10 years ago! It's such an amazing book that reached to me through character development at such an early stage in my life. I'm aiming to read all of the Ender Saga, even the Shadow Series (they're in my wish list if you feel like being nice ;)) I don't want to spoil the book for anyone by trying to describe what goes on. If you like SF & you like the notion of children being strong and brave and taking on the world then this book is perfect for you. I would say this book definitely is aimed at younger people & rightly so.

As a conclusion, the book is amazing. The prequels are equally wonderful and I can't wait to start reading the first sequel either. Orson Scott Card, as a writer is a wonderful author. I don't agree with some of his personal views but thankfully that doesn't affect his writing abilities and he doesn't impose his views in his work. A definite buy for SF lovers.
on 30 November 2012
Well I brought this book for my Kindle a couple of months ago after it was recommended to me by a bin lid who had just read it. He said it's aimed toward older bin lids but still thought I might like it.

This book is awesome! I thoroughly enjoyed my time reading it and read it in only a few days. The story centres on a 6-year-old boy who is one of several highly intelligent kids who are sent to a battle school to learn how to become leaders and commanders in a world where intelligent kids are used to be the leaders in war. A hive-like collective of insectoid creatures are attacking the earth and it's up to the IF Marines lead by these kids to defeat them before they destroy mankind and takeover our planet. The book covers about 6 years of Ender's life during his time at the school. It is mildly brutal in places (though it's more implied rather than described) as Ender becomes the subject of bulling just because he is the best.

It's good clean reading, no swearing, no sex, no over-the-top gore.

I'd love to have a go of the fantasy game he plays in his spare time; it sounds awesome.

All in all a great read for young teenagers up to adults. I shall certainly be reading the sequel sometime soon

A note on the Kindle version: perfect. No proplems at all.
on 25 May 2013
If we ignore the authors very iffy political / religion beliefs and hate on human choice of sexuality....then we have a wonderful book which you will not regret buying.

The book is not as good as the author thinks and certainly not as important or as clever but it is still a great sci-fi novel up there with the best of them or maybe just behind them as the ending is a little weak.
Also ignore the foreword as the author actually says you should as you will be a little disappointed in the book after the puff piece he writes glorifying himself by being so reasonable.
Also once you finish it you have the choice to read more which is always nice but ofcourse every penny more this man has the more influential his views will become.

Ironically none of the vile things he has said in the media are in the book and you would have no idea that he hated gay people considering that the only kissing in the book is between young men.
I would give it an easy B for the story and ignore the other nonsense.

If it sounds like I am conflicted it is because I am, as when you love a story and the views in the story but hate the views the author has publicly stated it is a hard moral call to financially and publicly support.

Maybe the point is that the author has very strong views and these come out in the book loud ad clear so be prepared that OSC might be the devil but he tells a cracking good yarn!