on 28 October 2011
I was considering the Bose QC3's and purchased these instead. I wanted a smaller pair of noise cancelling headphones and only these and the QC3's were the right size for me.

They are of similar size and very comfortable, I recently used them on a 10hour flight with no problems and they helped greatly. Sound quality is excellent, without the warmness that is the signature of Bose, which you either love or don't. They are considerably more understated than the QC3s being a matt black instead of silver, but I like that, build quality is good, perhaps Bose have a slight edge.

Noise reduction is very good (being digital) and the 3 modes do seem to make a difference. A friend and I compared them with his QC3's and they had a different quality of reduction, not better or worse, just different. They pack down into a smaller package than the QC3's as the headphones hinge inwards, hinges seem sturdy enough so this is a nice advantage in terms of taking a little less space.

These use AAA batteries, whereas the QC3's have an elegant re-chargeable battery system. I prefer using AAAs as you can use your own re-chargeables (such as Eneloop) and you don't need to carry a charger as you can buy more if you run out (I carry two in my holder which is good for 40 hours).

One key advantage is that these work even if your battery runs out, without noise reduction of course.

So, if you are looking for a compact pair of noise reducing headphones, you would do well with these. They are not better than the QC3's, but are considerably cheaper. If you are unsure, I'd say take a look at both.
on 12 July 2013
I saw these at Dixons in Gatwick South Terminal, who (strangely enough) have up a sign saying they will match Amazon prices. But they had these priced at £179.99, when I looked on Amazon they were £99.99. Would they match it? Would they heck! As usual, there was some form of 'get out clause' in their offer and the most they offered was a further £10.00 discount. I wasn't that desperate so waited until I got home, ordered these and they arrived within 3 days. Very nicely packaged, with battery, relatively compact - but then I had seen them in Dixons. Good headphones, I find them comfortable and they certainly 'cut out' background noise. I've 'heard' better ones (in a specialist shop) but then those were nearly 4x the cost. For the money, these are very good.
on 27 May 2013
I got these headphones some weeks ago. They work really well in the home but are very impressive when used on a flight to Barcelona. However, lessons learnt, told my wife and ended up with her using them on the way home ! Planning to purchase a second pair before going to the states later this year.
on 16 February 2014
I've tried BOSE headphones on American Airlines and thought Bose was fantastic, BUT at Bose prices I was not prepared to buy.
A friend had these, I tried them at home, thought they were great.
Purchased to use on our regular holiday flights from Malaga - London - Barbados.
These are AMAZING Noise reducing headphones.
The 'ROAR' of the engines become a soft purr.
It will *NOT* reduce it to silence. This is physically impossible as your head (yep, true) will resonate and carry vibrations in the cabin though your skull, but these DO redure the engine noise by a long shot.

One thing I like about these headphones, is the cable is removable.
Great when you want to walk about the cabin, no trailing cable !
on 26 July 2013
I am a big fan of Sony products, and these work well enough, and at the price here, they were way cheaper than anywhere else, especially the Sony shop.
I don't think I'd spend hundreds of pounds on an alternative model or manufacturer.
Well built and compact when stored.
If I had a criticism, it is probaly that the lead isn't very long for using with my console / TV, but I doubt any other manufacturer is any different. I solved the problem by buying an extension lead from my local Maplins
on 13 January 2014
I did a lot of research before purchasing these, the spec was great and the reviews made them sound the best in its price range. The noise cancellation works ok but only tested at home at the minute. Great sound when tested with music, comfortable to wear too. paid £99.99 for these and since then have gone up to £169.99 !!
on 13 April 2013
OK, no noise cancelling headphones will block out all intrusive noise but these aren't as effective as earbuds. Have tried them on trains, planes and automobiles and they just don't cut the mustard. The noise cancellation feature does have an effect but nothing to shout about (excuse the pun).

Sound quality is good but they're not very comfortable - I struggle to wear them for more than 2-3h because the headband sits at an awkward angle which is uncomfortable.

Great to look at and come with a smart case but overall they're not worth the price (my £25 in ear buds are far better). Shame.
on 12 March 2014
This promises 98% reduction, sounds great! So I connected it to my mp3 player, pointed it to the source of noise a bunch of inconsiderate blabber mouths at work, press AI button, twice blink, and there it went.
Except that after several seconds the blink came back with a continuous hissing until I pressed AI again. And the cycle continuous.

I gave up, use my old MDR-NC60 over-ear 85% on the same mp3 player which still does the job. No idea why Sony discontinued this product.
on 6 September 2013
I did a lot of looking around for a good set of noise cancelling headphones. I was going to go for the Bose but read that these Sony phones were almost as good as the Bose and a fraction of the price. So I guess I purchased these as a result of the reviews I read. I certainly have no regrets. Used them a few times on long haul flights and they are superb.
on 31 July 2013
These headphones are a dream. I used them on four and half hour flights from Cyprus to UK and it was amazing. When you turn on the noise cancelling the difference in very very noticeable. I did have some from another company that cost about the same but they never worked as well as these Sony ones..