Customer reviews

Prokofiev: Peter And  Wolf [DVD] [2010] [NTSC]
Format: DVD|Change

on 16 March 2013
I bought this because the children were studying the work at school. What you get is a pin-sharp HD recording of a live ballet performance. The dance I know nothing about, but it looks highly competent and we all enjoyed it. The music is beautifully played but recorded quite distantly. On even a reasonable sound system, this adds a nice, realistic bloom to the acoustic. The necessarily mediocre sound from small speakers in a flat-screen TV do it no justice, and it comes out sounding a bit muddled and confused.

I like this recording and would recommend it, but for five stars I'd like the option of seeing the orchestra, particularly in this work where the narrator so carefully introduces the instruments; I'm sure this is partly the reason the school's music teacher chose this piece. Blu-ray is a technologically sophisticated medium, and it would be great if we could choose to see the instrumentalists at work. I'd actually prefer that to the seemingly obligatory "bonus feature" about making the recording, which I really can't be bothered to watch.
5 people found this helpful
on 11 January 2013
I bought this for my granddaughter who loves ballet and gymnastics. She was entranced from the very beginning. After she had seen it once she dragged her mother (who didn't know the work) to watch it with her. Before I gave it to her I had a sneak preview, just to make sure it would be something she would like. I thoroughly enjoyed it and now I'm looking forward to seeing it again with her.

The young cast make excellent animals and birds, especially the cat. The narration is excellent, the set simple and of course the music is so clear in its depiction of the animals the whole colourful presentation is a delight.
3 people found this helpful
on 14 May 2018
The dancers are generally students so this isn't as slick (or as expensive) as a usual RB DVD. However, if you watch the accompanying video, you can see just how young they are so allowances should be made.
on 11 January 2016
My four and a half year old LOVES this and so do all the adults and children who came to see us over the Christmas period (Father Christmas put the DVD in her stocking)...even though none have any special interest in dancing . Makes a change from the eternal Peppa Pig or Disney . It lasts just half an hour and then another ten minutes extra with the dancers telling us about the experience of putting on this show...which is a perfect TV time chill out length. I thought this a perfect extension DVD for my daughter who, at two, I put in front of the wonderful staging of Beatrix Potters tales instead of all the **** that everybody puts their kids in front of. I'm absolutely thrilled with this find.
on 22 January 2018
I bought this because Sergei Polunin stars as the lead role, and his performance is excellent, I've seen many of his performances (once live recently) and he is definitely the best dancer I have ever seen. The young dancers from the Royal Ballet School are also really good. Peter and the Wolf is enjoyable for children and adults. There is an extra feature showing rehearsals and short interviews.
on 22 May 2017
A very enjoyable interpretation of Peter & the Wolf
My granddaughter (just starting Ballet Classes ) is also enjoying watching this
on 25 July 2015
Great performance to an even greater composition.

The person in the audience with an annoying cough should have stayed at home or be hit on the head with a mallet. 😑
One person found this helpful
on 10 January 2016
A most enjoyable ballet production. Great to see young dancers being given a chance . I especially enjoyed te excellent footwork of Chisato Katsura as the cat .
on 10 September 2013
This a delightful disc that my 4 year old niece would not turn off! The whole thing is a delight and aimed at young ballet enthusiasts. The wolf might be a bit scary for the very young but otherwise this is a treat.
on 2 June 2016
Lovely version a little scary for younger viewers maybe