on 22 January 2013
I have given this item four stars, but would liked to have given five, since it works perfectly as a memory card reader. However, there are two things I had a problem with. My iPad has to be taken out of its leather case for the connecter to be pushed right home to connect; this may not be a problem with all cases of course. The other problem was with the tiny switch on the side of the connecter, which switches from USB to memory card. It is so stiff that I am reluctant to force it in case it breaks. As the switch is set for the memory card reading I leave well alone, as tranfer from the memory card is my main use for the connecter and it works well. Delivery service of the item was amazing. I ordered at 4.00pm one day and it arrived at 11.00am the next!

I am returning to this review because I'm puzzled by some of the reviews. I've come to the conclusion that some of the 185 reviews refer to the earlier 5in1 30pin connector, which incidentally worked fine on my iPad1. This item has the ridiculous 8 pin connector, which is in my opinion a retrograde step by Apple: it also made my other connection kits redundant! Good for Apple profits, bad for Apple customers, unless they are fortunate in finding third party items like this on Amazon. In hindsight I should have bought the iPad2. However, to repeat, this 8pin connector works fine on my iPad4 and Amazon should consider separating the earlier reviews from those of the new item to avoid confusion.
on 2 May 2012
A quarter of the price Apple wants you to pay, but does the job of transferring jpeg and RAW image files from camera (via USB cable included with your camera) or by plugging the SD card into the device. Effortless, really!

Build quality isn't as great as Apple (plastic casing feels thinner but isn't flimsy/doesn't 'flex' under pressure). But then what do you expect for the price. It also comes with a removable 'cover' to protect the connector when the device isn't in use.

Only two very insignificant quirks:

1. Your iPad will say "device not supported" if your camera doesn't save images to the (industry standard) "DCIM" folder in the SD card. As far as I am aware all manufactures now follow this naming practice, so you shouldn't have any issues.

2. The camera has to be connected to the device or the SD card inserted into the device before iPhoto will load i.e. plugging in the device to the iPad on its own will do nothing. However, if you do this you can then connect the camera/insert the SD card without having to first remove the device from the iPad. iPhoto will then load.

I haven't tried plugging a keyboard into the device yet, but then who wants to use a 'wired' keyboard with their iPad? You can buy a cheap bluetooth one which is much easier to carry on your travels.

You won't be disappointed with this device.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 November 2012
One thing missing from the iPad is an SD Card reader. Particularly as the iPad is an ideal medium for showing digital photos to friends. A quick trawl of the web revealed a number of devices available, at a range of prices, but then I looked at my old friend Amazon and found this device on offer for an unbelievable price of under a fiver delivered.

I have to be honest and say that at that price I wouldn't normally have touched it. Especially when I was going to connect it to a £500 iPad! But as it was offered through Amazon I knew that it would come with a cast iron guarantee that if it didn't do what it said it would, then Amazon would sort it out for me.

Arrived very promptly. Slightly uncertain connection at first as the adaptor doesn't mould to the iPad's case shape. A little firmness (put your SD card in first) and away it went. No problems. Marvellous.

And, like I said, amazing at this price!
One person found this helpful
on 8 January 2013
Have only just received this in the post to-day and initial experience indicates it does the job for which it was purchased. Confusingly the pictures appear to be saved in three different locations at the same time on my iPad mini and pictures / videos cannot be deleted from individual locations but only from all three at once (hence only 4 stars). That said it is very easy to use and downloading from the camera memory card was a "doddle"!

October 2013 - latest operating system downloaded from Apple has prevented this from working. I am surprised and disgusted that Apple can legally take retrospective action to force owners of iPads to spend excessive sums on their "own brand" attachments in order to continue to make full use of them: other manufacturers' charging cables too are no longer usable. I would advise anyone looking to purchase an iPad to think of this before making the decision!
on 1 December 2013
I. Had the old one that came in two parts. And it did not work I. Sent it back and they gave me my money back. I sent in a review and gave it a bit of a slating which I now take back , they phoned me and told me about the problems they had with the iOS 7 program and asked would I be prepared to try the new one which is just in one part Well it's brill just plug it into your iPad and your pictures are there ,so simple to use would recommend this to anyone that prefers to take pictures with a camera rather than your phone as I do. So Big Big apology for my last review I gave you and glad you took the trouble to get in touch with me. Recommend this seller they deserve a 10 star.
on 17 September 2012
What a shame that despite all the excellent reviews this little gadget didn't work on my iPad 2.
Perhaps it works on some and not others but sad to say I had to send it back.
Looking at some of the reviews I wonder if they are genuine as I can't think of Amazon having so many and in such glowing terms for a product.
Still I hope it works, even for some, as it's miles cheaper than Apple. I bought the Apple pair and they worked first time.
So grateful that Amazon refunded my return. In their usual way of refunds, if you have the time, it may be worth giving this gadget a try anyhow. It could work for you!
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 25 January 2013
My Lightning Adapter CameraConnection (sic) Kit arrived about 3 hours after an email from the supplier Vairocana (Shinntto TM) asking if I had received it. It was dispatched by amazon in the normal packing and I had been notified very soon after order that it had been dispatched, snail mail has lived up to it's name though.

Build quality is good.

I've had a couple of usage issues.

1 Not compatible with this device message when using memory card, I did some research and realised that the files on the card were ones that SWMBO had edited and were not in the normal folder, the IPAD seems to only recognize default file and folder settings that cameras save to. It works fine with a card taken straight from a camera.

2. Did not detect usb devices at all, I then noticed a little toggle switch, devices are now detected but I am now getting the IPAD Not Compatible message with a keyboard, mouse, mp3 player, and usb stick , I'll do more research.
on 16 August 2013
I bought this connector for my iPad Mini and it worked perfectly first time I used it. Very simple; connected the connector put in the memory card and all the photos were downloaded within in seconds.

My reason for giving a 4 star rating rather than 5 star was the connector was supplied with an adaptor to convert it from the old Apple fitting to the new fitting, which makes quite a long connector and I feel care would need to be taken to avoid knocking it and perhaps damaging the connection in the iPad.
on 2 October 2012
I bought this to get photos on my ipad quickly, whilst on the move after a photo job. Being so much cheaper I did not expect it to work perfectly but, apart from the well documented "this device does not work on the ipad" message that you have to click off, it really does work well. and quickly too, it imports quicker than my card-reader at home.

What I have to do is insert the card reader into the ipad and attach the mini USB to my camera (Nikon d700) at one end and the adapter on the ipad. After a couple of seconds the thumbnails load onto the ipad screen where you can tick or untick and then tap to import. The images go into an "imported" folder but can be moved around afterwards to other folders.

Unlike others, I had no issues with the connection. naturally it was a bit stiff at first but not excessively so.

One of my better purchases on amazon. I'd be happy if it lasted a year. the build quality is not bad but not to apple standards of course. And it's worth mentioning that the delivery was very fast, using ordinary post service (and I've had some nightmare scenarios with amazon purchases recently - carriers like Hermes and Fed-Ex who don't really bother to try to find you)
on 25 January 2014
The product is fair, it works but due to IOS restrictions you cannot view your photos from there, you have to copy them, making this product fairly useless because I don't want to copy it, not enough space and don't see the point in this. Also would have liked to listen to music from there. It doesn't see anything, only certain photo files - very limited. Would on the balance decide against it unless all you want it copy your photos from an SD card onto your iDevice.

See one answered question