on 4 April 2017
Bacheldre Mill 100 per cent extraction wholemeal flour retains all the bran and all the wheat germ for maximum taste and nourishment. However, the more bran a flour contains the more water is required for a satisfactory dough because the bran, given time, is more absorbent. If not given sufficient water and time, the bran fragments only wet on the outside, the inside remains dry.

‘Slow bread’ is the answer. Ideally, using a Kenwood mixer with the paddle attachment, start the dough in the evening by making a ‘batter’ or ‘sponge’. Change to the dough hook then leave overnight in the Kenwood bowl. Finish the mix in the morning. Leave to prove for a few hours. Place in a mould. Bake to perfection at 220 degrees for 50 minutes.

METHOD

PADDLE

Batter = 500g water + 3 pinches of fast action yeast (i.e. not more than 2g) + 400g wholemeal flour added gradually
Leave overnight for the yeast to develop.

HOOK

Add 10g salt to condition the yeast & make the dough more elastic (+10g caraway seed if desired) + 300g wholemeal flour added gradually & mixed thoroughly. Leave to stand in the mixer for an hour or so.

Give the mix a final stir with the hook then place the soft sticky dough in a 2 lb (9” x 4”) silicone loaf tin and leave to stand for another 2 or 3 hours. Covered with an upturned plastic bowl if possible. Because of the high bran content this dough will shrink a little during baking. The natural sweetness of this beautiful flour is enhanced when the bread is sliced and lightly toasted.

“It often seems that the only measure of flour quality that counts is loaf volume. . . . there is an inverse correlation between volume and nutritional value. The more white flour there is in a dough, the more gluten and hence the bigger the aggregate volume of all fermentation gases trapped in the dough structure. The bran layers and the wheat germ, where almost all the minerals and micronutrients reside, are not capable of holding gas: they act as a dead weight which must be ‘carried’ by the gluten structure. So any dough with an appreciable amount of bran and germ (e.g. made with a flour of 85 per cent extraction or higher) cannot be expected to expand to the volume of its all-white counterpart. . . . Let’s have a little less stress on structural engineering and a little more on flavour and nutrition. Bread is food after all.” Page 82 BREAD MATTERS Andrew Whitley.

“YEAST. If the dough is to be fermented slowly overnight, only 0.25% of flour weight, barely a gram per pound/500 gm is needed. (one gram still contains millions of yeast cells.) As a general rule, the less prepared yeast goes into the dough, and the longer dough is allowed to rise, the better the flavour of the finished bread. This is because the concentrated yeast has its own somewhat harsh flavour, and because the process of fermentation generates a variety of desirable flavour compounds.” Page 535 McGEE on FOOD & COOKING Harold McGee
review image
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2014
This is the second batch of flour I have bought from Bacheldre Mill and I am not disappointed. This is stoneground and quite a coarse flour, which I prefer to much of the finer ones on the market. On its own, it makes a dense loaf although not so tough as to make eating difficult and it has a good flavour. If you want a lighter loaf, mix up to 50% white flour - I use about 25%, but make a 5 seed loaf using only whole meal flour and enjoy both types equally. Using the Poolish method and preparing the dough 24 hours ahead, I make a loaf that I like and the rest of the family enjoy too. Not light and fluffy, it makes great toast and, thinly sliced, good sandwiches - absolutely made for strong cheese and thick soups.
on 6 December 2014
I always use wholemeal in bread at 60% or less as I find the bread too heavy with more wholemeal. Even using only 50% in my first attempts with this wholemeal I found it gave a sawdust texture to the bread, some people probably think this indicates its healthy properties. To me it means it is not a pleasure to eat and possible indigestion. Not wanting to throw away nearly 16Kg of flour I experimented. Using 50% of this and all the water of the recipe, mixing them together. After leaving for five minutes I add the rest of the flours 40% of strong white and 10% Kamut Khorasan wheat flour (you can not beat that flour for taste and although expensive at 10% it is not going to break the bank, look at the reviews). The soaking of the wholemeal softens it and takes away that woodfibre texture from the bread.
on 3 February 2013
I mix this 50:50 with their organic strong stone ground white flour for making bread rolls for my lunch at work. The rolls produced are fantastic, lovely and soft and very tasty.
I've subscribed to have the flour delivered at regular intervals as it works out cheaper and far excels the flour available from the supermarkets.
on 18 February 2015
I can't believe the difference this flour has made to my bread making. I've used the same bread making machine for years and had been using Dove Farm wholemeal flour, which was fine. I tried this flour because it was available through Subscribe and Save, but it will now be a permanent switch. The bread rises beautifully and the texture of the loaf is lighter. I add linseed and sunflower seeds to my bread mix and this flour copes really well with the added weight of the seeds.Obviously it's a big sack of flour that needs to be stored, but that's not too much of a downside when the product is so impressive.
on 1 January 2015
I have just purchased a Panasonic breadmaker, after over a decade without one. Back then, you only really had what was available at the supermarket, and the bread was always a bit yeasty and sticky.
What a pleasant surprise our first loaf was! I used just this flour, and substituted the butter with coconut oil. It rose perfectly, and is pretty light for a stoneground wholemeal loaf. Best of all, it tastes absolutely gorgeous. I will not be using any other flour, as I have already found perfection!
on 21 April 2018
This flour is very delicious and about for five times now would you recommend. I use it to make my sourdough and sometimes mix with the same make flour unbleaced white flour to make it lighter bread.
on 19 March 2014
a good wholesome full flavoured flour makes bread with a bit of "chew" I cant fault the flour but I was less than impressed with the very short bbe date(this is a fault of amazon and not the flour) if you are thinking of purchasing this I would suggest you email amazon the asin number and ask them to check the date apart from that happy baking
on 2 August 2015
Had a bag of this at the beginning of the year and it made fabulous tasty bread that rose as well as the strong Canadian flour we'd been using previously so would have given it 5 stars then. Ordered another bag a month ago and this has made terrible bread that doesn't rise or collapses during the baking process. I don't know if we have just been unlucky or if the newer crop of wheat has not been as good, but it is quite disappointing that we now need to look for another source of flour.
on 26 December 2014
Good quality wheat. Did have some non ground grains but hey, we can live with that! Makes excellent roti's, dough keeps fresh for a few days. Will order this on subscribe & save as more cost effective. Good delivery to the door for a heavy bag for elderly parents.