on 13 July 2012
Like many other reviews, I concur that these headphones are great, (and not just for the relatively low price). Lots of positives: eye-catching; great, punchy sound; good base; comfortable; novel build materials; pleasant company ethics even! BUT these little buggers have one design fault; (and your product is only as strong as its weakest point), namely: poorly secured wires!
After reading multiple reviews I can see how others were as perplexed as I was when, after a matter of months of fairly prudent and delicate use; keeping them in their little cotton case etc., one or both of the headphones cuts out. Upon further inspection I noticed that the only thing absorbing any naturally-occurring tugging on the wires is a little knot someone has tied in the cable just inside the perfectly-formed recycled, wooden casing, (presumably to stop it being pulled out of the earpiece), which, of course, is not secure enough and eventually means the wires slowly work themselves out of the back of the casing over time and eventually the connecting end tears from the soldering points at the back of the speaker!

Fail.
77 Comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 21 November 2011
Style: Lily|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These in ear earphones produced by the House of Marley make a fantastic addition to my regular commute. They look great - the cord is fashioned in Jamaican/Rastafarian colours and best of all, it doesn't get tangled in my bag - there's also a cute little pouch to store them in. The wooden sustainable buds are also stylish and eco-friendly. The earphone jack is L-shaped and as a result works ergonomically with my phone. They also come complete with two extra pairs of rubber ear pads to suit most ear sizes and shapes; my pair were pink but you can buy other colours to suit the buyer's personal taste.

The only slight downside and it's very much a personal thing is that they have a rather base-y sound; obviously I could ferret around in my phone to find the graphic equalizer to amend this but it's worth considering if you're not a fan of such sound.

In conclusion: a great product at an attractive price, I think they're great and if they help others via the Marley Family's 'One Love' Foundation, so much the better.
on 7 August 2012
It's such a shame I can't give a better review to these. I want to give them four stars, but they're barely getting two. I've owned a pair of these since mid June 2012. Yesterday only early August 2012, they stopped supplying sound to the left ear unless I waggle the jack in the socket of my iPod into a very precise position. I've tried different headphones and they work fine with the iPod so I think its the headphones.

I liked:
* The material on the cables is just so good at not getting tangled, I don't know why it's the norm for other makes to still use sticky rubber cable coating
* The buds are comfortable and you get a few different sizes to experiment with. I could wear them on long journeys and they didn't hurt.
* They were good noise cancellers, meaning I could clearly hear the spoken word from podcasts and audiobooks in even the noisiest environments
* They were good insulators, meaning they shielded others from the noises I was listening to, especially when I sat next to someone on public transport or the office
* They were admirably unusual in colour, design and materials. So many people commented on them when they saw me use them.

I didn't like:
* Despite taking good care of them, with no careless tugs/jerks/manhandling, after not even two months, the left headphone has stopped working unless I jiggle the jack in my iPod. Then when I start moving around, the sound goes again.

Having searched around on the internet, it seems I'm not alone in experiencing this problem. Sudden unexplained loss of sound to one earphone appears to be relatively common. I am tempted to chalk this up to a bad batch and try and just get a new pair. Up until yesterday I thought they were great, and they're not expensive. But I don't want to be burned twice. I'm now also considering a replacement brand.
on 13 April 2012
These are very good for the money but the vocals let them down a bit but have great bass sound. I had to change my iPhone equaliser to voical to enhance vocals and it does even out a bit but for the price these are good earphones.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 November 2011
Style: Lily|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I admit, I have never understood how people can part with so much money for earphones. There is a market out there where you can (should you choose) pay £100 for a set of earphones!!!However, having said that I certainly don't like cheap earphones that fall apart and only end up with one ear working. It seems to me that these little bad boys are for people like me who are in the middle. They are reasonably priced and do the job. Not only do they do the job, they do it well and have the added bonus of being nice and brioght in colour. There is an added advantage of having three different sized ear tips for the perfect fit for everybody. They are a slightly strage feeling, following the standard pair I had, but once I got used to them they were very comfortable. In my opinion, well worth the reasonable price tag!
VINE VOICEon 21 November 2011
Style: Lily|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was slightly surprised and confused when I saw these were branded with Bob Marley, a feeling enhanced when I actually received them to find next to no relevance to Marley whatsoever - seems more like trying to sell something off a name rather than make it appropriately relevant.

But onto the actual product:

The first that that strikes you is the colour - in this case bright pink which isn't too much of an issue for me but if you don't like bright colours these certainly aren't the earphones for you. These come with 3 different buds to fit your ears and whilst they do cover the usual little, medium, large categories, the material seemed to be slightly less flexible than my other JVC and Sennheiser buds which makes getting the perfect fit slightly more difficult. I also found it slightly difficult to get the rubber on/off as it is a very snug fit which, whilst good for not losing them, also makes it a bit of a pain trying to swap the sizes around.

The cords is a nice black wire which does have a premium feel to it, although it was slightly too stiff for my liking as I prefer to tuck the wires away whilst listening and with these I could still feel them. The connections seem rugid enough for every day use when commuting and they also come with a convenient and well made carry bag which I always tend to use to keep them in good condition. I do, however, think that even not using this carry bag, the connections should survive quite well if you just throw them into your bag/pocket when commuting.

In terms of sound quality, I found these adequate but not fantastic. Compared to my other earphones these offer little more than my £12 JVC and when tested on both my phone and MP3 player, they were outperformed by my Sennheiser which were only a couple of pounds more expensive. The lower end works fine, but too often the higher-end sounds didn't make it through and I was left with a lot of bass and not enought treble across a whole range of music, from Mozart to Eminem (yes, I have an eclectic taste in music!). And this wasn't improved by playing with the equalisers on the devices either - they just seem to be a bit too bass heavy.

All-in-all these are a decent set of earphones which feel quality but struggle to deliver sound quality. I'm sure the eco-friendly marketing will appeal to some, but if you are looking for perfomance these struggle to match some of the competition in the same price bracket.

***EDIT - Having used these for a couple of months now, mainly on commute with the volume turned up to counteract the poor noise cancellation, I'm afraid they have stopped working properly. Even on the commute, I take good care of my earphones and have had a pair for well over a year that have worked perfectly. Unfortunately the left earphone has just completely stopped working and I can get no sound whatsoever. The right one still works fine but what is the point of having earphones with only one working. I don't know exactly what has caused this problem and the cord and earphones appear to be in perfect condition from the outside but the left bud doesn't work. It is very disappointing and whilst I may have just got a dodgy one it seems slightly odd that a product proclaiming eco-friendly nature essentially will be discarded after only a couple of months use.***
44 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 April 2012
Great sounding headphones which are guaranteed to fail on you. I'm on my second set which have just failed in the same way as the first, the electrical connection inside the earphones fail with only careful, normal use. This is a real manufacturers design issue.
on 15 October 2012
I needed a new pair of earphones, reasonably affordable and worth the price. I read some reviews on these Earphones then ordered a pair then decided to read on further reviews. Many reviews state that these earphones lasted them a week or two, other reviews only stated the music experience that these earphones provided them but nothing on the durability of the earphones. I thought surely if I buy these earphones and take care of them they'll last me at least a few months... Sadly not.

I was heavily considering cancelling the order but by the time I was about to cancel the order it had already been dispatched.

Very nice looking earphones which came in impressive packaging, attractive bright colours and fabric wires which to me feels a bit cheap but I didn't expect anything better from an earphone for this price which is fine because it really didn't bother me that much. Many other reviews may argue otherwise but the wires did tangle very easily for me and were always kinked which drives me mad with earphone wires. The wires may have annoyed me a little bit but I still loved the earphones and was amazed by the price of them. Bass lovers will absolutely adore these earphones because they do provide punchy deep bass and the vocals sound absolutely fine through them. Noise isolating from these earphones were good, isolated noise as supposed to.

Anyway moving on to the sad truth of the review...

As much as I love these affordable, attractive and very comfortable earphones which by the price I am amazed by the quality I am sad to admit in all honesty that these earphones only lasted literally 2 days. Not fully broken, both earphones work however the left earphone needs to be pressed and angled in a certain way after me having to adjust the wire position for a few minutes which now got me to personally understand why these earphones have a reputation of breaking easily.

As much as I love these earphones I think it's absolutely ridiculous that these only lasted 2 days which kind of made me chuckle a little bit from how it could be manufactured so poorly. Of course this review was from a personal view, I'm not stopping anyone from buying these earphones but take this review as a massive warning, you might get very lucky but sadly and personally I wouldn't risk it, go look for better quality earphones, pay a little more for maybe People Get Ready earphones but please take my words into consideration as I'm planning to get a refund.

Finally a note to House Of Marley, please fix this issue.
on 6 September 2012
Hey I bought these headphones round about a month ago and they where brilliant! But then then the trouble started.
First the left headphone stopped working and I believe the wire inside has loosened. Then a few weeks later the right headphone died too, now they only work on the odd occasion after some intense wiggling of the wire.
Over all the headphones are Excellent in design love the whole eco-friendly theme going on like the wood.
But the length of time I've had them was very disappointing.
If anybody has had the same problem could you please comment on my review thanks. :)
Jack.
on 3 October 2012
I bought these earphones as a present for a family member who was really pleased with the quality of the product and found the fact that they were eco friendly very appealing. After less than a month, however, they broke, with a fuzzing sound in the left earbud before they both became silent. I was sent a replacement but in even less time the exact same thing happened again. Not sure if it was a bad batch but I am very disappointed at having to return two pairs but the overall quality was good for the low cost, will try another pair some time in the future when a new batch may have been ordered in.

See one answered question