on 16 September 2011
Having read I Am Number Four quite a while ago and having mixed feelings about it I was a bit apprehensive when I picked up the next in the series. What actually happened is that this turned out to be a lot better than the first in the series. There was a lot less wordiness in this book, and the action starts from page one, probably because, as a second book, there's no need for the introductions and preamble needed in the first book. Before I go into detail, here's a brief synopsis for you, as told from the the POV of Number Seven:

"I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me . . . he's one of us.

Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us--if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio--and failed.

I am Number Seven. One of six still alive.

And I'm ready to fight"

I'm glad this was told from a couple of different points of few as it meant as a reader, I didn't have to wonder what was happening to John and Co whereas I was also able to learn what was happening with Number Seven and Co. This particular style of writing, in my experience, can either work really well or it can fail. The danger being that the plot becomes confusing. This wasn't the case however, and each character and setting was so distinct that it wouldn't have been possible to confuse them, even if you tried too.

I have to admit, the events with Number Six, John and Sam were probably a lot more exciting and heart-pounding than Number seven's story, but I love a change of scene and hearing the story develop from Number Seven's point of view was fascinating. Plus, one of the biggest twists in the story happens around Seven and I could never have seen it coming even if I had tried to think of the most weird and impossible twist ever.
Back with John, Sam and Six, there was also some back-story for Number Six which was awesome because she was always a bit of an enigma in I Am Number Four, so it was fascinating to hear about how she came to be where she was and what she went through to get there.

I can't really say much about the events throughout the novel without spoiling things, but I will say that there's a lot of new people, the story comes together more and there's enough fighting in this to make action fans bounce in their chairs while reading. For the romance lovers out there, there's a quite a bit of love going on, and not where you might thing either, as well as some heartbreaking potential betrayal that will leave you stunned and a little sad.
I will let slip that there's a lot more insight into the Mogadorians lair and I can definitely say that if it were real, I would not be going there, not even if you paid me.

The ending is, as always, a wonderful cliffhanger that will leave you dying to read book number three. Much to my annoyance, I have no idea when this is released. So I shall have to wait along with the rest of the world. I'm pretty certain it'll be worth the wait.
on 8 September 2011
This is the sequel to 'I am Number Four' and the narration begins with a new 'number'.Marina, is number seven, and she is coming into all of her legacies (powers) all on her own, and not because her guardian has been murdered like Six's was, but because her guardian wants to believe that they are safe and can choose not to be involved in the fight against the 'Mog'. Her frustration with her guardian, Adelina, comes across very well.

The narration switches between Marina's and that of John (Number 4), who is now on the run with Six and his bestfriend, Sam. There were a couple of times I got engrossed with the action and then missed the switch from John's narrative, to Marina's; that marked down the writing style for me.

As a character who hasn't yet taken the lead, Six, steals the limelight whenever she appears. John, starts to have feelings for Six, which is confusing because he loves Sarah, and he knows Sam likes Six too. This love triangle isn't made overly dramatic and works really well.

I am so thankful that the flirtation in this book is not of the John-Sarah variety of the first book. The love scenes in the first book made me cringe, and her the love triangle/ square comes across a lot more realistic. The dialogue flowed naturally and built up both the characters and plot.

Action packed from start to finish; I liked the way the story progressed from the first book and this one too lends itself well to screen adaptation.

The end to this book is a real cliffhanger, as by the end of it we are introduced to more numbers, but have to wonder how they will meet up. The main characters are distinctive and likeable in their own way, so the introduction of new characters didn't get confusing. John gains a new ally, who is actually less level-headed than he is (and that's saying something) and has a huge new mess to sort out.

Plot: 5
Dialogue: 4
Characters: 5
Writing Style: 3
Overall: 4

If you liked the first (I am Number Four), I think you'll like this one.
VINE VOICEon 15 August 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
After reading I Am Number Four, I'd virtually consigned the series to the 'not worth bothering' pile. But whilst the first one is clunky, awkward, predictable - albeit strangely likeable - the second rounds off these corners and adds a little polish. It picks up where the first one left off; John Smith, our alien teenage hero, his human best friend Sam and the mysterious (also Loric / alien) Number Six are fleeing the small town of Paradise after battling a horde of (and I can now read this without cringing) evil Mogadorians, the race which is hunting them down. Six knows the whereabouts of another of the Loric refugees in Spain and wants to pursue them, but there are other clues to follow as well.

Meanwhile in Spain, we meet Marina, settled into a monastic life - but keenly aware that she needs to keep moving. It's not that simple; her Cepan guard has 'gone native' and seems to have renounced her guardian ways. The Power of Six is much, much less clunky than the first in the series. It's still slightly predictable and clearly written for the screen, but the characters are eminently likeable, the plot much less awkward and the pace more or less perfect. More or less, because it's not a long book - compared to it's contemporaries (although I haven't quite figured out which level it's pitched at) there isn't a lot which happens, and the plot isn't terribly complex - but it is very pacey. The book starts off with a few hitches and challenges for our characters and builds to a frenetic climax.

I've got to admit, I think that if this is indicative of the rest of the series, then I'll be waiting for the next one - and re-reading the first one. There are a number of interesting developments, a few hooks to keep you engrossed, and I enjoyed it so much I read it within a few days. Well worth picking up - I could have kept reading once I'd finished it and will be eagerly awaiting the sequel. And given my scepticism on the first, that's quite an achievement.
on 7 September 2011
I really enjoyed this book and cannot wait for the next book to come out. I said in the review of the first book I did not think the author brought anything new to the Sci-Fi genre, but the book was a good read. This book contains many revelations and answers many questions left from the first book. This story is based as much on faith and prophecy as it is on science. The book is written as a diary account by Number 4 and Number 7. The part that lets the book down for me is number 4 himself. All the other characters seem to have grown since the last book, espically Sam who manages to single handed kill 3 mogs with their own knives. I am not including the other 100 he kills with guns. Number 4 by comparison seems to still be the love struck teenager thinking more about himself than anything else, luckily for him this usually leads him to do something useful. This is a Empires Strikes Back type of ending so the minute I finished the book I went online looking for the next book. Can't wait.
on 19 March 2012
"I am Number Four" was always a mixed book for me; although well imagined it never felt polished, and the execution lacked a certain... punch. This second book picks up the series where it was left off, but immediately ramps up the tension and conflict by introducing new characters and new ideas.

A key new character is Marina, living in a Spanish monastery, whose Cepan has turned away from their Lorien ancestry and to religion. This conflict is very well detailed and Marina is both a convincing and sympathetic character - easily the most compelling one in the book.

The love triangle (or square, I don't know) between all of the existing characters risked becoming overcomplicated and distracting - but as a constant focus it simply becomes the secondary storyline, one that is then effortlessly tied back into the main story. We have love, lust and apparent betrayal all around - from characters who really do only want the best for each other.

Although the book progresses the character's stories, and we find out more about their Lorien ancestry, many aspects remain a mystery. Particularly the Mogadorians; almost every interaction with them introduces more mystery and intrigue. We learned their basic story in the first book, and little is added to it.

But this mystery seems natural - it keeps the book interesting. Without a Cepan to further their story the characters must piece together the parts of what they know and, in Fours case, see in visions. The slow piecing together of their history and legacy sits nicely against the relentless pursuit by the Mogs (and human police).

This story moves quickly for most of the book, but slows down as needed to treat with more detail. Sadly it is very short - it would have been nice to see some of the scenes developed in greater detail, and the characters explored in more depth.

But all in all is has pace, it has character and the plot is compelling.
on 18 August 2013
This, the second in the series, is better than the first and much better paced. It also benefits from not focusing on the rather wooden John Smith as much as the first one, which was, of course, mostly about him. Very readable and well paced l liked the device of using different typefaces to distinguish the two plot lines. I just get a bit concerned that the 'heroes' seem to be able to get out of the most impossible situations with some rather cringworthy devices, almost 'with one leap he (or she) was free!' Almost like they are already being written for the CGI and movie already. Also l am beginning to wish the bad guys get John's 'love interest' as soon as poosible so he can get on with falling properly for one of his own species! But l'm hooked and look forward to reading the next one. Yes l'm just a big kid really!
on 19 May 2013
I love the lorien books. In number 4 we met John Smith aka number 4 and learned that he was not really John smith but an alien from another planet sent to earth along with 9 other children and their cepians (protectors) after their own planet was destroyed in the hope that one day they would rise up and save their race and ours. the power of 6 carries on this story telling of this story and introduces some of the other children now teenagers. But their is one big twist in this new book about what really happened the day the children left lorien its touched upon in I am number 4 but what the twist is you will need to read the book to find out
on 10 September 2011
After reading I am number four I doubted whether or not to buy this book.
I read a bunch of amazon-reviews and most of them said this was a book worth purchasing.
So I did.
Is it better than I am number four? Yes.
Is it therefore good? Not really ( in my opinion )

It has many of the same flaws I am number four had.
For instance in many of the action-packed-sequences the author just doesn't know when to slow down and in other parts of the book I wish I could just fast forward.
Which ruins the 'flow' of the book.
I did however like that as a reader we got to switch between stories here.
One moment we're reading the story of seven and then we switch back to Four, Six and Sam.
I liked learning a little bit about Six, sadly we don't learn that much.
Which is a bummer since I find her to be a much more interesting character than Four/John.
The addition of the Sam character seems pretty useless to me, unless to create some sort of lame love-triangle (which I wish people would stop doing!)
Perhaps his importance will become clear in the next book.
Will I read the next book? Probably.
Why? Because I'm persistent and hope these books will actually become better since the basic story doesn't suck.

I enjoy reading YA-fiction because it's such an easy read ( usually ) in that aspect this book works.
If you're into this genre of books but didn't really like I am number four? Then don't waste your money.
Some of it's problems have been corrected but mostly it's the same type of book.

I could however recommend you the book Divergent by Veronica Roth.( It also has a character named Four and is pretty awesome.)
on 6 November 2014
Once upon a time there was a film called the power of four. I watched it and thought it was great take on the whole superman theory, with nine instead of one. Now this film was based on a book it seems. And the power of six is part two of the great adventure. A grand series with lots of battles to keep the bloodthirsty happy and plenty of feisty females not wearing bust enhancers and tight corsets to act as superwoman. What's not to like?
on 15 September 2011
THE POWER OF SIX wasn't quite as good as I AM NUMBER FOUR, but it was still massively enjoyable in every way! It was just brilliant! The action was shockingly intense with some real shockers towards the end. The storyline was original and added a twist to the sci-fi genre. The characters were brilliant. There were lots of them but you remember every one of them. As we find out more and more about Four, Six, Sam and Sarah, Pitaccus Lore delivers fun, gore and plenty of twists and action in THE POWER OF SIX. I eagerly await the third installment in the series. Six books are planned. AWESOME! 10/10!