on 2 February 2013
Firstly many people know about the problems in the past of the sole peeling away on these boots (Google it for more info). Mine have not peeled but the sole has worn far more in 6 months use than it ought to have.
However the issue of durability is not my main concern with this boot. My main issue is the way they perform during demanding use, a purpose that any boot in this price range should excel at.
Yes they are waterproof, yes they are reasonably comfortable staight from the box, yes they look good and yes the sole rolls beautifully during level walking. Unfortunately that same sole forgets to grip when wet, particularly on rock.
Now whichever way you look at it in any walking boot poor performance on wet rock is a flaw, but in a high end boot like this it is inexcusable. The surface you are treading on does not even need to be wet, I have put my foot in a shallow stream then slipped on dry rock because the boot was wet.
Add to this that the boot feels cumbersome when it is on, the ankle support is poor for a boot of this stiffness and the sole does not bite into the hillside enough when contouring on steep slopes, you may find yourself like I did thinking you have misinterpreted what the boot was meant to be used for.
I have had to replace my pair of Mt.Trail because at best they were causing me confidence issues due to constant slipping even on the approach to an ascent, particularly when using cloughs or gulleys, but in worse case scenario they have been dangerous (bad traction at the top of a 25ft waterfall which I had gone around and not, I haisten to add, attempted to climb).
I know conditions and terrain play a big part in boot performance but the Mt Trail have been consitently bad culminating with me slipping and hitting my fist into a dry stone wall (only one winner there!) and my previous (cheaper) boots performed much better in the same environment.
To top it all the boot I have replaced the Mt Trail with is the Scarpa SL Activ and the Scarpas are in a completely different league, better grip, more precise foot placement, real ankle support, the list goes on, and yes personal preferece plays its part when saying what one person likes better in one make of boot compared with another but when two types of boots are so close in price and intended purpose as the Mammut and the Scarpas I'm afraid that when only the Scarpas are fully usable for that intended purpose it leaves a damning indictment on the Mammuts whatever your personal preference.
on 8 December 2012
Had these about 5 months now. Go Outdoors let me wear them for 60 days and if I didn't like them I could take them back for a full refund! They were new and so stiff at first then quite quickly just moulded onto my feet. I couldn't take them back as they became part of me!
I have never paid nearly £200 for a pair of boots but out of frustration of buying £100 Waterproof boots and being let down year after year, I gave it a go. I do expect these will last as they are so tough. Great 100% waterproof indestructible real leather boot.

Updated: Well Ive had these boots for 4 years now and worn a lot every week in dry and very wet terrains. Ive noticed that the sole is now coming away from the rest of the boot.
My feet now get wet in these. I thought I had these for a couple of years but surprised that they lasted 4 years.
I loved these boots but am I wrong to think they should last longer? That's £50 of boot wear a year. You do the maths.
on 19 June 2015
I've had lots of walking boots in the past few years and none lasted very long before falling apart and none stayed waterproof for very long. Admittedly I haven't had these long, so I don't yet know how long they'll remain intact or waterprood, but they fit perfectely and are really comfortable. The first time I wore them they were on all day and didn't rub at all. Highly recommended
on 25 October 2014
I bought a pair about four or five years ago and these are the best boots I have ever had. I've worn them for walks, across muddy fields when beating on shoots, at the beach when sea fishing. The only care I have given them is a wash down when caked in mud and change the laces. They also offer great support.
on 2 January 2015
Had these a couple of years now - and they get an outing in the pennines at least twice a week in all weathers, plus the odd week in the lake district. Absolutely waterproof, not one blister, comfortable with a 'firm' feedback - your feet dont slop about, nor are they 'pinched' - nice rolling action when you walk. No problems with sole peeling or wearing badly.

Grip; I havnt noticed any problems on rock, snow, ice or wet grass. But I do use a pair of walking poles which give extra stability in anyway.

TRY before you buy, the sizes are about 1 size smaller. I wear size 8 shoes, my boots are 'size 9' and I still only have room for thin socks.

Only snag is that the solid durability and quality build, makes for a heavy boot. Fine if you are just doing a sunday 8 miler, but these are just too heavy if you are intending to do a whole week of walking. Ideal for winter on the mountains, not suitable for a hot summer coast walk.
on 21 May 2014
I can't understand how the sole which is likely the same (vibram) rubber on other top line boots, could be slippery while the Scarpa boots are not? So the sole can either be durable or less slippery - not both? I don't know any boots that are not slippery on wet rocks - maybe you need felt soled fishing boots? I am a professional geologist and took this to Argentina and scrambled for 5 days and never regretted buying this boots. The Scarpa SL3 are also nice these fit me better. Durable with full rand, no seems, reasonable weight, good padding inside and snug fit. Not a hill-walking boot as these are made for rocky off-trails.
on 6 February 2015
I recently switched to these Mammut Trail GTX boots from the Zamberlan Voiz GTX which I found just a bit too small on the front width and was giving me blisters to the side of my big toe after a days hiking. For instant comfort I find the Zamberlan boots have the edge but the Mammut boots feel comfortable after a days use and no blisters as they are just bit wider.
on 13 January 2015
good fit very comfortable
on 12 June 2014
Great boots. The only boots my husband will wear and he wears them every day for everything!! Can highly recommend them and they were delivered within a few days.
on 1 August 2016