on 5 July 2015
An excellent book covering the practicalities of taking your electronic manuscript from keystroke to kindle. It applies to 'non fiction' (which is the trickiest area) and also to fiction. As a first time author I referred to it extensively.
on 11 August 2015
This is a great book for learning how to format word documents into Kindle format. It will teach you all you need to know in an easy to follow format.
on 4 June 2015
very handy guide to formatting manuscripts for use on Kindle.
on 21 November 2011
While I've loved his other books on self publishing and found them to be invaluable, this felt like a joke. Less than a dozen pages long, it doesn't go into any of the detail his previous books have, which is what made them so useful for a first time self publisher like me. There he took you step by step through all the processes, and it worked. Here, I basically gave up and bought another book, which did the trick.

Up shot - even at the price, I wouldn't recommend it, especially since so much on kindle is so cheap, so it's not even particularly good value considering the market it's in.

I'd recommend 'Self-Printed - the sane person's guide to self publishing' by Catherine Ryan Howard to get you through the frustration of formatting your book for Kindle for the first time. The one tip Shepard gave about indents, which Kindle doesn't deal with well, I found didn't work. So, in all, 2 stars because in the past he's been so good, but only 1 for this publication.
1010 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2015
This book was incredibly good value. I had tried several packages to help me convert Word files to Kindle format. and all of them produced appalling results. Now I know why - it's all to do with how you format your Word document in the first place. Not only did this book teach me how to do that in a step-by-step manner, but I even learned things about Word I didn't know, as well as what happens when Word gets interpreted by the Amazon conversion software. (For example, you learn how to make your eBook look like a proper book with no extra spaces between the paragraphs.) But if you think you need a piece of software to convert your Word document to an eBook, forget it. All you need is to set up your Word document properly. I literally read the book straight through with my Word document in front of me, making the suggested changes as I went and, at the end of the process, I submitted, tested and published the book to Amazon. I was truly astonished as my efforts to do this using Calibre and all other kinds of costly packages had failed and caused a lot of frustration. Not only that, but the book tells you how to make your eBook look REALLY GOOD. And you end up with a Word document that it's easy to convert to other eBook formats too, and not just Kindle. Hats off to Aaron Shepard. For 99p this was incredible value.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 November 2013
Well, actually I probably could have, but it would have taken me a LOT longer, with all that fumbling trial and error. I needed to publish something on Kindle, and an expeditious time frame was important, and Aaron Shephard's title described exactly what I wanted to do: take my book which I had written in Microsoft Word and have it published on Kindle.

Although I have a reasonable strong background in Information Technology, in terms of Microsoft Word itself, I would rate myself at an elementary level - I never really need to use 90-95% of its functions. So...when Shephard gives his warning at the beginning that says the book is for "intermediate" to "advanced" users, it is not necessarily so, with that caveat that one has had other experience in the IT field.

The main benefit I obtained from his work was being forced to consider all the various factors that needed to be reviewed for a proper-looking publication, such as the character, paragraph and page formats, as well as a table of contents. I had never used the "bookmark" and "hyperlink" features inside Word, and Shephard provided reasonable explanations, and they really do provide a much more professional looking, and functional book, particularly if there is a complexity of issues. I was also able to insert a number of pictures into the book, with the help of another publication of his, as well as a niece who had experience "tweaking" pictures in Photoshop, and the streamlined version works just fine.

I found his "version history" at the back of the book most interesting. He updated the book 13 times, sometimes within a week of each other. The last update, however, is in September, 2012, in "tech time," before the First World War. Despite various "raps" against Amazon, they really do continue to make immense improvements which facilitate publications by writers without all the leaden and lengthy waits one used to experience if the "high priests" of publishing in Manhattan become involved. Thus, as some other reviewers have indicated, certain information is obsolete. He suggested Courier as a font style, or Georgia, but I found Verdana or Calibri preferable. And in terms of style, he prefers paragraph indents, and no space between paragraphs, and as this review indicates, I prefer exactly the opposite. It is only 33 pages, and at the current price of 1 cent, it is crazy not to have it in any publisher's library. 4-stars
VINE VOICEon 4 September 2014
A year ago Social Services asked me to put together a set of notes on the progressive development of my wife's dementia. They were well received and, apparently, quickly became part of an interview procedure for prospective social workers. If, having read those notes, the candidate was still dry-eyed, the considered opinion was that they should reconsider their career path.

Once my wife moved into permanent residential care it was logical for those notes, written in Word 2010, to be turned into something more comprehensive and made available as a Kindle book. In order to add `something' to the book I decided to include a number of - mostly family - photos relevant to the story. Unfortunately, when it comes to formatting images for a Kindle platform, Word insists on reducing them to a thumbnail size. Aaron Shepard's book Pictures on Kindle showed me exactly - and elegantly - how to overcome this problem and also pointed me in the direction of his companion book `From Word to Kindle'.

Aaron's advice on formatting the text proved absolutely invaluable and made sure the final book avoided all sorts of minor, but visually infuriating, errors including splitting strings such as `July 19, 2014' or `working‍/‍middle‌-‍class' across two lines. Other problems such as lists, tables, web and internal links, tables of contents and menu items are dealt with in a clear and extremely helpful manner. Plus, of course, everything involved in exporting the finished text into the HTML format to be submitted to Amazon KDP for conversion into the final Kindle book.

It's an invaluable book and, like Pictures on Kindle, easily merits six stars.
on 29 September 2013
Note: This book is for intermediate to advanced users of Word.

Aaron's advice is solid. It'll help anyone confused by the formatting issues caused by Word, html idiosyncrasies, or various versions of the Kindle reader. I learned a few things I didn't know, and I highlighted them for future reference. Although I watched for typos as I read, I couldn't find many.

I disagree on a couple of minor points - a matter of personal preference. And I don't like Aaron's use of typographic devices or his practice of moving the table of contents to the very front of the book. He does present a convincing argument for both techniques. However, they produce a book that, in my opinion, doesn't look as professional as it could.
on 7 November 2012
This book took you through precise steps to converting a Word doc into a Kindle E-book. I'm an advanced Word user so this book was perfect for me. Thank you Aaron!
on 25 April 2014
I wasn't sure what I was going to find when I decided to get this. I downloaded it to my PC Kindle account rather than to the Kindle portable book that I have. It's a very useful piece of work and well worth browsing through. Reads well on screen. It's really the little touches the author gives to simple things, like for example using the em dash or advice about the line of dots ..., that make it very useful. i haven't tried to get published[ on my own] on Kindle and my publisher took all the strain out of that but now I'm encouraged that I might indeed create my masterpiece and unleash it onto the world in a near perfect format for Kindle without any interference from anyone. There are so many pitfalls in self-publishing ebooks and I have the feeling that following the sensible advice given in "From Word to Kindle" I shall at least avoid falling into the major elephant or animal traps. Mind you that will leave a lot of hungry tigers out there as competitors anxious to to sink their teeth into my buttocks so maybe I should just whisper...Get it [shush]