Customer reviews

Colour: Black/White|Change

on 20 July 2012
Liked the look of this watch when first saw it. Auto time set up and solar powered NO MORE BATTERIES. If I could change one thing, it would be to illuminate the whole face when the light is operated, it only does the digital display which is a bit small (especially in the small hours of the morning!!!!!).On the plus side, the hands are 'glow in the dark' All in all I would recommend this as a good everyday watch
33 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 May 2014
I always think that first impressions are important and my first impression of this watch as I unpacked it were very positive. I could easily believe it carried a price tag double or triple what Amazon are selling it for.

I bought it to replace a Casio G-Shock which I've had for over 20 years and had finally started falling to bits. Only this time around I was on a much tighter budget so had to find a cheaper option, but still wanted a solar powered model, as I've been using Eco drive Citizens for a few years now and will never again buy a watch that needs the battery changing!

The body of the watch is surprisingly slimline and light. The strap has a soft, rubbery feel and is also light and when you're wearing the watch it's quite easy to forget it's there.

The face is slightly bigger than I expected and because the bevel around the face isn't as deep and chunky as on my old G-Shock I believe the face will be a little more vulnerable to damage when I'm rock climbing. For this reason I nearly gave it 4 instead of 5 stars but stuck with 5 because, after all, it isn't the watch's fault I chose it and plan to wear it when climbing.

I know that many previous reviewers struggled to set the watch up but I have to say that I found it relatively straight forward. Maybe it's because I already own a Casio, I don't know, but as long as you read the manual it's fine.

It has a lot of functions. I'll probably use most of them at some time in the future but, in my view, it's better to have them and not need them rather than wish you had them. Unless, of course, you are paying a premium for them, which you are surely not in this case! The alarms and other various beeps are a little on the quiet side, don't know if that will be an issue in the future.

All in all, this is a fabulous watch for the price and, if I was that way inclined, I could easily pass this off as a much more expensive watch.
on 11 January 2016
A great watch! I ordered this watch on Saturday morning and it arrived Monday morning! I couldn't believe that the it arrived so quickly. The packaging was very good. I had read previous reviews of this product where people said it was hard to set up. I didn't have this trouble at all. In fact, all you need to do is tell it which country you live in and the hands magically sweep to the correct time automatically. Very satisfying. Yes, agreed, the light is very dim and only illuminates the digital display, but what do you expect from a solar powered watch! I have a wrist which is quite slim for a man, but the face is still a great size for me and I still have two more holes on the strap just in case my wrist was even smaller. The face is very easy to read, the hands are glow in the dark and the whole thing is water resist to 100 metres, so you can clean it under the tap. Let's hope it lasts 15 years like my previous Casio watch!
on 27 February 2014
This belongs to my ten-year-old son, who is delighted with it. The strap is comfortable without shortening on his wrist, while still fitting my rather larger one - a trick some more prestigious watch makers would do well to imitate.

He mastered the controls in a couple of days. It helps hugely that the Casio system is consistent from product to product and is familiar within our household, but the manual is clear (if small) and a new user should have no trouble if prepared to devote half an hour to working through it. The important features - alarm, countdown, stopwatch, second time zone - are all there and easy to get to.

Solar power on a watch at this price is a bonus, and a big one. Considering many high-street jewellers now charge £10 to replace a £1.50 battery, it should give this watch a useful extension to its economic life.
on 31 May 2017
Overall, I like the easy to read analogue display and decent sized hands and the fact that it is solar powered. It seems to require very little light every day to keep it topped up. I like the World Time, Stopwatch and Timer functionality and it might be a bit sad but I like the second step display that shows the seconds as they tick by to the right of the main digital display.

Obviously, as a resin-cased watch it isn't the most classy looking piece of kit but it does the job. As other reviewers have mentioned, the strap is a little long for my wrist but that isn't a big problem.

Loses one star in my opinion as the digital display is a bit quirky. In Timekeeping mode it can show the time as h:mm:ss in 12- or 24-hour format (which seems reasonable); Day Name and Seconds (e.g. WED 45, WED 46... for the day of this review) as the seconds tick by, which seems a bit bizarre; or Month.Day in US date format with seconds ticking by (e.g. 5.31 55, 5.31 56...). You cannot change the Month and Day display to any format other than US as far as I can see from reading the manual . I'd give 5 stars if you could set the date to show the year as well plus change format (e.g.31-05-17 for the UK) or day and date (e.g. WED 31 for today) so you could have a view of either time (analogue) with full date (digital) or time (analogue) and Day Name and Day of Month (digital). However, this display format seems to be common across many Casio analogue / digital watches.
on 19 September 2015
Great time peace and wonderful price for a solar powered unit. Not having had many sunny days I was expecting some promblems. However the luminescence of the incandescent low power light bulbs is absolutely fine. The watch is extremely light and I was worried it might be a little small for myself. I offered it to my fairer other half and luckily she refused it, because the mor I wore it the more I liked the style. The LCD display is rather small, so it takes a bit of getting used to. Accuracy so far is < 1 second.
on 2 June 2015
I have always had casio g shock watches but thought I would try a cheaper watch this time after my old solar Casio display started failing badly and only after just a few years. its replacement was a pretty watch but it's not very functional as minute hand obliterates the tiny digital read out between 20 past and twenty to the hour , so very difficult to tell time at night and made worse by poor quality small illuminating digital display that only becomes clear enough to read at night after fiddling around finding a very precise angle when all becomes in focus, too much trouble for me to bother with in the middle of the night, forget the hands , I sent it back for a more expensive new digital G shock watch I'm afraid!
on 4 March 2016
What a pleasant surprise this watch was. A technological wonder wrapped up in resin / plastic. I can no longer wear my metal strapped watches as they feel uncomfortable relative to this resin marvel. So, this is now my sport watch and I have bought a reasonably luxurious leather strapped automatic watch for office / casual wear. I see no need for another watch. But a Chr Ward watch has caught my eye.

So, I wear this watch in bed, whilst weight training, mountain biking and in the shower. The Lume is good enough to tell time in the dark. At 33g it is incredibly light.
on 4 June 2014
Ok let me start by saying that this is the coolest watch I've ever had. It's not a watch for party and fine occasions but for everyday use and work it's perfect. Comfort is good and better than many other more expensive G-shocks. I cannot believe the price of this item. This is bang for your bucks.

Now to the fun or sad. As you know this watch charges itself on solar. So I thought I would charge the s*** out of it. So I put it on the roof of my little black toyota aygo but I was dumb enough to forget about so the next morning Im driving to work and suddenly it hits me. It should be illegal to be this dumb/unlucky. So my old watch is laying somewhere on a highway in Denmark but dont panic I just bought another one! Highly recommended but be aware where you put it when you want to charge it hehe..

Good day!
on 13 June 2014
Chose this one because of price, brand and functionality, also the solar solution seemed interesting so I decided to give it a go.Well made, simple to read. The digital display is very simple but useful - all the useful functions are there. You can illuminate the digital bit. Don't have to worry about the power - as long as you move around, go outside twice a day and don't live in a dungeon - It will say "HI" in the power level display menu. Downsides? None really, very cool and yet simple watch. My minutes arm seem to be +/- 20 secs behind so I guess more attention to mechanical detail should have been paid.So far quite happy with this buy.