on 25 April 2014
I originally read this and the remaining three books in the 1980's. Having now re-read the first I still think this series is probably the best thing I've ever read. I have no hesitation in recommending the series to anyone who loves good literature, excellent writing and first class story telling. In addition numerous memorable characters and unforgettable sub plots. I have the hard back copy, the four paperbacks and now The Jewel in the Crown on my KIndle ! Three more to follow.
on 20 February 2015
A masterpiece. Paul Scott's Raj Quartet should be up there with the great classics. He has George Elliott's genius in interweaving plots.
A sure ear for dialogue that makes the first person accounts totally believable - even those written by women. One tiny comment - I feel Brigadier Reid's section in The Jewel and the Crown is a tad too long. But then I'm not a fast reader.
on 31 December 2012
The Jewel in the Crown was one of my favourite TV series and the books don't disappoint - reading this one was wonderful, especially while travelling through India. Treating myself to a kindle and downloading books while away was a dream - but the frustration of bad spelling, terrible grammar and typos and errors all the way through The Jewel in the Crown were beyond frustrating. If this was a hard copy book I could take it back. Kindle needs to sort this out please!
on 29 February 2016
Marvelous! Brilliant novel about the British Raj time.
on 16 November 2013
A good tale of the last days of the Raj. It captures the people, attitudes. prejudices,smells and nuances of British India. Should be read by any traveller to that vast and intriguing sub-continent
on 8 September 2016
I fabulous book to read and recommend.
on 13 February 2014
The beginning of Paul Scott's epic novels about the decline of The British Empire in India.
Wonderful writing and very accurate historically. A major work which gave us huge enjoyment.
on 31 May 2015
I have seldom enjoyed a literary work as much as the Raj Quartet. It is heaven from start to finish.
on 25 August 2015
A fascinating insight into the India's transition to Independence.
on 2 December 2015