on 7 February 2015
Series 1 excellent and genuinely funny with one liners and antics we would come to expect and relate to from a fellow mancunian. Season 2 , The locations and cultural highlights were great but I feel that karl was kind of put on a leash and didn't really look like he was discovering and enjoying the experience in the same way which is why most of the comments and lines were kind of petty and forced as if he needed to say something despite not having much to say over a series of scenes. I don't think the two clowns really helped to be honest by giving him ridiculous and tedious tasks which were never really funny or entertaining to do and watch and I think karls attitude to half of them and lack of involvement also summed up how he thought about it , Karl only really started getting back to his normal self towards the end of season 2. Overall it was an interesting watch and funny mostly because of season 1 but season 2 loses novelty quickly and doesn't do anything to be worth a watch again.
on 18 February 2014
An idiot abroad is a fantastically funny series, so funny in fact, I ordered it for my parents and my parents in law. The only downside was the delivery from Zoverstocks. In the past. As with Amazon, deliveries have been faultless and on time, but since the beginning of 2014, I have found Amazon and Zovetsocks have been awful, with things taking far longer than they should, Amazon logistics playing knock and run and thins item not arriving at all. Upon re ordering this same item, then another a week later, it was only when I enquired it's whereabouts when I believe that it was dispatched, as it arrived on the same day as the second item, ordered some time later. Be aware when ordering this brilliant box set, that you may be waiting some time for it to arrive, if at all and totally disregard "dispatched" emails.
5 star dvd. 1 star service.
on 22 April 2013
Idiot Abroad has got to be the funniest documentary I have ever seen in my entire life. I have yet to meet anyone that doesn't end up crying with laughter at Karl and his One-liners.
My personal favourite episodes are when he treks the gorillas (Watch out for when Karl falls down a hill..'Oh f***in' ell! Argh ya tw**! Don't talk to me, just don't talk to me!!' or when he visits Rio and is looking around Celso's kitchen 'Right I'm cooking, I'm cooking. I need a garlic, an onion - is it the fridge? No it's on the floor WITH A COCKROACH NEXT TO IT.'
I'm actually chuckling as I type this, I bought the dvd box set for my dad as I watched the entire series on Sky but now I think I shall purchase the dvd box set for myself. FYI - series 3 is no where near as funny as Warwick spoils it and Karl comes across as a grumpy old man who isn't humerous.
One person found this helpful
on 6 August 2012
I'll begin by stressing: As with every comedian's DVD, please watch a few clips on you-tube before buying and subsequently down-rating this DVD. This particular humour is not for everyone.

I personally loved every minute of this, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who asked. I very rarely buy a DVD (or a book) unless I absolutely adore it and believe the producer deserves the (invariably) large amount of money requested, opting instead to rent them out/borrow from friends. Had I seen all of these on Sky I would still have gone out and bought it, purely to give these guys some well deserved money. As an aside, I thought this was very nicely priced for what it is, though that is almost certainly because it had been on TV already and people may not have been willing to part with more.

For the record I believe that Karl does at times exaggerate his stupidity for effect, but most of the time it's actually him. And that's what makes him so loveable!
3 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2015
If you can cope with a sometimes quite high cringe-factor (Ricky Gervais is involved after all),
this is some of the funniest viewing available.
i was given the first series as a gift, having heard nothing about it;
i couldn't stop watching and had one of the most laughter-filled evenings of my life.
the star, Karl Pilkington is put through a series of experiences that for the most part he is completely averse to and therein lies the humour.
i have to say i have come away from this viewing experience with a lot of respect for Karl Pilkington, and when Ricky Gervais exclaims that (essentially) Karl is his (Ricky's) gift to the world; he is not wrong!.
on 7 March 2012
I bought the first season of an idiot abroad on DVD after watching the Ricky Gervais show and getting my first taste of Karl Pilkington, you soon come to realise that whether intentional or not every single word that comes out of Karl's mouth is absolutely hilarious and its not selective comedy everybody can enjoy it, my mum my Nan my girlfriend and all work colleagues agree. when the second season came out (I don't have sky so I'm a bit behind from my colleagues) I knew it was going to be worth owning at home, since buying the first season I invested in a Blu Ray player and 47" Flat screen HD TV so I bought this Blu ray box set instead, I started watching the second season last night when it arrived, complete laugh fest literally had to turn it off to stop my ribs hurting anymore, the views of the landscape are honestly breath taking for example the first episode has a shot where they flew over a volcano with a zoomed in shot on the swirling lava was amazing, but what really made HD Blu Ray worth it for me was truly being able to see the fear in Karl's eyes, so much that I actually felt like I was there the tension builds and you can feel the fear like a man about to lose control.. Truly amazing, if you haven't watched or/and bought this yet do it now.. You won't be disappointed.

Some comedians are funny on stage and make a good living being funny but in real life, in reality, they just aren't that funny, Karl is simply funny all the time, if you like/d this also check out The Ricky Gervais Show Season 1 and his multiple publications.
on 5 January 2013
Karl Pilkington says the things that most people would think in the situations he is put into by the the real two UK idiots.
This series will have you holding your sides time after time and just from KP's natural reactions.
It isn't for those offended by bad language (whatever that is) but when he comes out with the expletives it just makes you laugh because it sums up the situations.
Enjoyed this series but don't screen it in front of young kids, it is adult stuff.
Ricky Gervais always makes me think that he forces the laugh but KP is a natural.
on 17 January 2012
We bought this for my partner's aunt for christmas 2011 as she's been watching them on Sky + but had missed most of the first series and she really loved it. After we watched one with her I decided I wanted to see it too and now I've watched both series it really is a must see.
Karl Pilkington is very funny and he's not even trying to be. He's typically British and some of the things he comes out with will have you laughing out loud. Alongside it being a comedy programme it's also informative in a strange way, I learnt a lot of things about the places that he visited that I didn't know before and a lot of the time it makes you wonder how they managed to arrange for him to do the things that he has to do over there. You do feel very sorry for Karl, they're so unnecessarily mean to him and you feel especially sorry for him by the end of series 1 he's absolutely shattered and is not very enthusiastic when he's asked about the possibility of a second series!

I just can't put it into words how good this is. Don't hesitate to buy it just do it you won't regret it!
One person found this helpful
on 28 February 2013
I hadn't seen this on Sky but had heard about it. Someone bought me the book from the first series a while back, which I didn't think was very good. Unsure why I actually bothered to get the DVDs at all to be honest but I am SO GLAD that I did. Both series are full of real laugh out loud moments. We watched both series over one weekend.

There's quite a bit of swearing in it so perhaps not one to get for your Granny.

Final verdict: If you haven't seen this then you need to buy it. Totally recommend it.
on 25 November 2012
Simply the easiest review I have ever done. Totally billiant Karl is a complete legend the funniest man on t.v. The blu ray quality is amazing and the replay value is beyond reproach. I have watched this over and over again and still not bored. Both seasons are really really good and the extras are funny as hell. If you have not seen Karl in action buy it now you wont regret it.