on 19 September 2017
I have now read all of D C's books and this one doesn't disappointment. I love the way she links characters and themes together but also keeps back little surprises throughout her stories. This book is a delight to read albeit it is based on the reality of how tough life becomes following tragedy. I, like many reviewers do not want to give the story away so will simply say - like all of her novels, it is a must read. Please DC - keep writing.
on 4 October 2017
The problem with buying books for a kindle is choosing good ones. I don't know why I don't just stick with Diane Chamberlain books! Few other authors possess her skill. The shadow wife is another great story. I kept reading 'just a little more' until sadly I have reached the end!
VINE VOICEon 9 September 2014
Another enjoyable read from this author. The dilemma is set up well; it's difficult to see the way out for Liam and Joelle, and their story is sensitively told. Diane Chamberlain is fast becoming a favourite on my bookshelf.
I was just very disappointed with the kindle formatting for this book - there were many paragraph breaks missing, which meant for example that conversations were sometimes very hard to follow, without the conventions of a new paragraph for each change of speaker. I would expect more from a professionally published book!
on 2 September 2017
Diane Chamberlain is such a good story teller. She often runs 2 time lines through the book and can keep the reader interested in both. This story is a page turner although some of the characters I didn't warm to, such as Liam and some of the plots weren't that realistic when I thought them through but on the whole I would recommend it.
on 28 January 2017
A readable, light weight story. Not memorable - I had to go back to the synopsis to remind myself what it was all about before writing this review.
I prefer books with more depth and substance, so will not go back to this author.
on 3 February 2017
A gripping read from beginning to end. The subject of alternative healing is often hard to write about without it seeming farfetched but somehow Chamberlain did it. A must read for anyone wanting a novel to escape into.
on 2 January 2017
What a fantastic story, not just for how it's been written but last year I actuality visited California and road highway 1 on a harley and stopped off at all the places mentioned in this book. It brought back some fantastic memories for me even having my picture taken on the Bixby bridge. I'm now off to purchase her next book and hope it lives up to the last.
on 25 September 2013
This story is about a women who works with her best friend's husband. Unfortunately her best friend has brain damage and no longer able to function normally. The story is also about a healer who saves this woman's life at birth. The action goes back and forth between them and they meet up in the present when the healer is an old lady. The dilemma's the people face seem real and the story unfolds so keeps the interest throughout. Recommended.
on 13 February 2013
This was the second book that I have read by this author and I really enjoyed it, in fact I couldn't put it down. There are two main stories that are being told (with a few minor ones in the back ground), one in the present day and one starting in the 1960's, that eventually come together. It is the story of the traumatic birth of Joelle on a commune in 1967 and how she was 'brought back to life' by a healer called Carlynn. We then jump forward to the present day and the life of the adult Joelle, who's best friend Mara suffered an aneurysm whilst giving birth leaving her brain dead. Mara's husband Liam and Joelle are devastated and whilst consoling each other end up spending the night together and Joelle becomes pregnant.

The story goes back and forth between Joelle's birth and present and introduces you to many likable characters and tells the stories of not only Joelle, but Carlynn the healer, Liam and Joelle's parents. There a few twists and turns along the way with a great twist at the end!

I found this to be a great read and couldn't put it down! Would happily recommend this book
on 26 May 2018
An easy read and it was good to return to Diane Chamberlain for a break from my more usual choice of reading.