on 28 May 2017
Got three quarters of the way through this and then finally gave up when something better arrived. The story line doesn't really work as it depends upon the main character giving up his recently acquired Roman Citizenship to help a Celtic woman and her children, who he finds under a bush after a battle on the River Medway. He could easily have given them some assistance and sent them on their way without having to desert the Legions and go wandering off through hostile and nasty Britannia. Linguistically, the text is amateurishly constructed and some of the character names just make me giggle. I put the book down following the episode where the heroine's acolyte somehow manages to replace her own red hair with the long blonde hair of said heroine to get herself sacrificed by the evil Druidic chieftain Lapwing! Interestingly, he didn't recognise her on the sacrificial altar, even though the two of them had indulged in regular sex sessions together on the very same spot! Don't think I'll go back and finish this any time soon and I'll not be adding the rest of the trilogy to my Christmas list either.
on 23 August 2016
Paper-thin characters and the author seems more interested in feeding us the minutest details of what everyone ate, wore and fought with in that period than providing a coherent story.

And as for that plot twist near the end, to quote one of the characters when it was revealed to him ‘This is too far a stretch for my imagination, the coincidence is too great.’

The only thing that stopped me abandoning the book whilst still only a few chapters in was that I bought all three books in the trilogy at once as they were on offer, so I kept hoping it would improve enough to make me want to read the next two.
on 23 July 2017
I really enjoyed this story of the Roman legions and how the author portrays the way the invasion was carried out. The use of advanced scout parties and the Roman battle formations fascinated me.
The story follows two Roman soldiers, one privileged born, the other an ex slave who has been given his freedom. It also follows a warrior and a young girl from a Britannia tribe.
Some battle scenes are very violent and not for the squeamish. But if you don't mind this I would recommend this book
on 24 March 2014
A reasonably interesting storyline but confusing in some of the detail. For instance, I doubt that Romans or Britons understood the concept of time in minutes. In one chapter 500 Roman cavalry are slaughtered by the Britons, but later, casualties are reported as 60 cavalry killed. This made the storyline difficult to follow and affected its credibility.
on 3 December 2011
After reading the many reviews as you do i decided it was worth a read, the price didn't hurt either. I now feel i have cheated the author as i would have happily paid more. I can only speak from my own point of view but i have found it an engrossing story, exactly what a fiction book should be really. And i really dont get some of the anal comments about this book, it delivers a fast paced story with good action and i really enjoyed it.
on 10 May 2016
The beginning was so promising but the author then fumbles around in a totally disjointed fashion with some ridiculously badly conceived plotlines. The story leaps around all over the place, getting gradually more & more preposterous until the end where all of a sudden somehow it all stumbles to a close.
on 14 May 2017
At last. Someone who realises that prydain Is'nt called England. As good à story as his medival series. Well donne.
on 7 December 2017
Like historical fiction based on fact
Good fast pace storey
Would recommend to all who enjoy this kind of book
on 5 August 2017
Enjoyable and promising first novel despite the occasional faux pas such as imagining Numidians to be black. I will certainly be trying a few more of
Mr. Ashman's books.
on 13 September 2017
This historical fiction is right up my street, a good story line with appealing caricatures to make the storyline interesting.