Customer reviews

1,243
Turtle Beach X12 Amplified Stereo Gaming Headset - PC and Xbox 360
Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on 24 June 2017
After about 5 years of using Creative Fatal1ty I though to change the headphones. Looking on the reviews and comparisons I was quite attracted to Turtle Beach X12 taking in consideration the price as well. Coming from Creative background I can tell a few differences. The Creative Fatal1ty sound was a little more clear however the bass wasn`t that good as is on the Turtle Beach X12. The bass adjustment scroll button is just amazing and you can actually set the bass level which suits you on the game or just by listening music. Another good side of the Turtle Beach X12 is that is very loud on max volume. If the bass is on max as well you will literally feel the headphones vibrating on your ears. The other good point which I would like to say is that the wire is very long (about 3m). The only down side which i could find is the background noise which is constantly there especially when you don`t play anything you`ll hear the "background noise" .All in one is very good quality for the money considering that this headphones are not the premium class.
on 31 March 2016
First can I recommend the XBOX 360 Optical RCA Audio Adapters Cable HDMI Cable GA82 just in case you need it and don't already have the required cables. I didn't, and I bought this with the headset. I'm glad I did.

I've been an online gamer for a while, mainly since I started playing Borderlands2. While I have played multiplayer and joined public games I've never used a headset before. One day someone randomly joined my game, and he was using a headset. Have you ever tried to coordinate gameplay when one player has a mic, and the other doesn't? It was hilarious how we tried to communicate: he'd ask me things and I'd basically nod and shake my head! Over time we played together quite a bit and eventually I decided I was going to treat myself to a headset; it would certainly make co-op a lot easier, and a lot more fun! But I didn't know which one to get. I asked this guy his opinion and he immediately recommended the Turtle Beach X12, since they were what he was using. Eventually I decided to throw caution to the wind and order a pair.

I have to say I was impressed; they do exactly what they're supposed to. You have three controls: chat volume, game volume, and bass control. These give you complete control over audio and allow you to find the right balance when chatting and gaming. The bass control is there to enhance game sounds and the overall audio experience in-game. It also has a mute button, which is self-explanatory! The mic itself is nice and flexible so you can put it in any position you need. The headset itself *is* comfortable, although like with all headphones if you wear them for hours on end they can start to hurt your ears.

Overall I'd give the Turtle Beach X12 headset 9/10. If you're looking for your first gaming headset (they can be used on PC too though I can't remember if you need additional connectors/cables for this) then I highly recommend these. Just remember to plug the chat cable from the headset into the controller - I didn't do that and it took me a while to figure out why chat wasn't working!
on 12 May 2017
love them bought many headphones for gaming and these are the best so far for budget headset
sounds awesome good for hearing footsteps (PUBG) and gun fire direction
LOVE the feature of hearing your self slightly with no delay so you dont end up shouting
had no complaints about mic and it picks up my voice from far away from mouth so no nose or mouth sounds (breathing)
LOVE the feature to turn up or down bass/chat/game volume separately

only drawback is same as any budget and somtimes expensive headset is usb for power brings feedback in ears but simple fix was plugging into a mains socket/wallsocket/extension easly done with a phone charger these days(i got a usb extender) some people have said usb hubs work is well but i have not tried
on 28 February 2014
I purchased these headphones as my original headset died. I decided that I might as well go for headphones which route all sounds through them over chat functions only, to spare others in the house...

The set up is a little complicated. I decided to not purchase the adaptor which many people seem to require as I have so many cables I thought I'd be able to sort something out. As it turns out, the red and white SCART ports which I have on the TV didn't work, they must be input only or dedicated for some SCART source. My TV, however, does have a headphone jack which the headphones work with. I'd urge everyone to check this themselves first, as I'm sure many TV's do have this!

Negatives first:
1) When I plugged in the mic to my controller, the static noise was overwhelming. The reason for this is that I had my play and charge kit plugged in, which interferes with the signal. It's a little irritating, but just one of those things you have to deal with. I don't have it plugged in often so it's no real worry.

2) Outside of the play and charge kit, there is an audible hiss in the headphones. It's not too loud, but it is there.To be honest, I've not played a game yet which is quiet enough for it to be heard over the gameplay, although I can imagine it being noticeable in quieter games with more vocals over action noise.

However, there is one main positive and it's a big one - the sound is fantastic. Playing GTA it is possible to hear the click of gears as you change up and, when getting out of a car, you can hear the tick of the engine cooling down. These are things which I never noticed when playing the audio through the TV and is indicative of the quality of the output. I was really impressed that headphones which are not that expensive would output such crisp audio.

The mic is also good, with voice seemingly transmitted clearly and audibly (according to others). It's a really useful feature to be able to control chat and in game volume separately. The bass booster is also a great inclusion and really makes an impact; it's a setting which I change from game to game.

The headphones themselves are comfortable and fit even my slightly large head. I could wear them for extended periods with no discomfort.

All in all, really impressed. The sound is fantastic for the price and the additional features of separate voice and game volumes, as well as a bass booster, are appreciated. Loses one star for that hiss in quieter moments, but it really is negligible.
on 31 December 2015
Headset itself is pretty good... mostly in the fact it has such superior sound quality considering how little you have to pay for the headset!

the build quality, granted they made slight improvements is still not enough. it can easily snap if you pull both ear cups away from each other at a reasonable distance... not only that the internal build quality (granted they made improvements there as well) still sucks ass. ive owned 3 X12's in the past 3-4 years or so and the problem is always the same.. the wire gets severed at the left ear cup... it snaps at the extendable part above the ear cups... or the wires erode somewhere within the cable

if you want fantastic sound quality for such a low price... then this is the headset for you!

however dont count or rely on it always being in working condition.. max time ive had one of these headsets is for 1 year 6 months!

Build Quality 5/10 (Mediocre at best)
Sound Quality 9/10 (Superb)
headset only works with PC and 360.. so its pretty crap in terms of how versatile it is with other platforms
on 15 August 2016
I got these for my son, he was super happy with them. I will say though they were the second pair I got, having got the first ones from game at a much higher price, they went wrong within a couple of days, but I think my sons may have been a bit heavy handed with them (of course I didn’t tell game that). However, after a stern talking too, he has taken care with these and has many happy (and not so happy) games on his Xbox, chatting, yelling, laughing and wailing away from his pit. No complaints from him on the quality or sound. Obviously I’m not a gamer and he’s only 12 so not into his sound quality, but he can hear his mates, he can hear what he’s doing.
on 6 April 2016
I bought these because my current headphones gave me an earache after about an hour because they are quite heavy and tight on my head. These ones are a dream to wear, I can have them on for many hours whilst gaming with no problem. The sound quality is good, obviously not as good as more expensive audiophile ones but adequate for gaming and listening to MP3's. The variable bass boost is good because you can adjust it to different levels for music listening and gaming. The microphone is good as far as I know, I've had no complaints in TeamSpeak and people say my voice is crisp and clear. The chat volume does not seem to work or I cannot get it to work. I use a PC. Overall for the price I am very happy with them and have suggested them to a few people on the forum I frequent, One person has bought a pair on my recommendation and loves them.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 April 2014
I purchased this for my Xbox 360, and it works a treat. I've heard noises in game which I've never heard before using my TV speakers! I hope this tells you how good it is!

If you play action games such as Call of Duty, this allows you to hear the enemies a lot more clearly so you know someone is near you.

It looks stunning too. The microphone rotates so you can store it in smaller places. You can also bend the microphone so it is closer to your mouth so others can hear you a lot more clearly.

You can adjust the volumes for the game and the chat separately. Interestingly, you can also adjust the bass boost! I've had headsets before where they make the bass boost so high that all you can hear is vibrations, so for them to allow you to adjust this is great!

The only downside, and this is not a headset limitation but rather an Xbox limitation is that there's a lot of wires. The wires have a long length so you can sit far away from your TV with no problems.

Overall, it's a brilliant headset and I highly recommend it.
on 31 August 2017
When they first arrived, they fit so tight around my head that it hurt to wear them even when I extended them fully. I had to constantly bend the top part straight for a week so that it would be loose enough for me to wear.

Sound output quality is average, there is a buzzing sound that is very noticeable when the volume is high (but considering its price i was willing to accept this). But the sound coming out of your headphones can easily feedback to the mic, having the volume above 50% or any high pitch sounds will certainly come through.
I think its because not only that the headset is not very soundproof but also that sound feedbacks internally. Even when my mic is muted, the input level on my mic would randomly go up.

After the 3 weeks of use, cracks started appearing on the connection from the earphones and the top, the part that slides in and out to adjust the headset. The outer shell had cracked, the actual sliding mechanism is just a thin strip of plastic on the underside that would easily break (especially now because of the cracks).

Sure enough, 2 months after my purchase, the right side snapped after the outer shell fell apart (left side shell also has cracks now).
It is now held together with tape and paper clips while I wait for another headset to arrive.

Just to be clear, I take good care of my headsets. My last headset before this was the Plantronics Gamecom 388 which was similarly priced. After 3+ years of use, there was only 2 problems with it: the mute mic switch sometimes did not work and that the ear comforters were worn out.
I was very disappointed at this Turtle Beach headset after such a good experience with my previous one.

There are definitely better headsets out there with this price, i would not recommend this headset to anyone.
on 11 August 2017
On to my 4th pair now as they always seem to be something wrong but now Argos has discontinued them I seen a pair for just under £20 on here from DealBerry and the delivery was free (and fast too! arrived a day earlier than scheduled and it was tracked) which I was pleased about, the headset looks completely new and is still in its sealed wrapper along with the manual and adapter provided, which I am highly pleased about. This headset is perfect for PC gamers, the mic quality is amazing and the headset itself is overear so you can block out all the background noise, and the volume is overwhelming too, and with bass control it sounds amazing to listen to music. Thanks again DealBerry I will be sure to buy from you again!
review image review image review image