on 9 December 2011
"I never thought I would live to be this old. All my life I was taught how to die as a Christian, but no one ever taught me how I ought to live in the years before I die. I wish they had because I am an old man now, and believe me, it's not easy." So begins what is, to my knowledge, a unique book by one of the best known Christians of our day, Billy Graham.

Now in his 90s, Graham takes a practical, personal and biblical look at a variety of issues related to old age; things like declining health, financial concerns, retirement and leaving a spiritual legacy for your children. Only someone at his stage of life could have written this and although the last phrase of the above quoted introduction might suggest otherwise, there is absolutely no self-pity or complaining in this book. It is realistic but also extremely warm and pastoral, written by a man who is committed to finishing well a race he has, in my opinion, run well.

The book is sprinkled with lots of biblical references and anecdotes from personal experience and friends and the last few chapters move seamlessly into some clear and very winsome exhortations aimed at both believers and unbelievers to make sure they understand, respond to and live by the sure foundation of the Gospel of Christ.

Obviously aimed at the retired and those approaching that stage in life, this would make a great discussion resource for those in that group and a very useful pastoral resource for those in ministry and counselling. I can see sensitivity issues if you were to think of giving it someone as a present (!), but I unreservedly commend this volume which may well prove to be Billy Graham's literary legacy.

For the purpose of review, I received a complimentary copy of the book from the Publishers. I was under no obligation to write a positive review.
on 3 January 2012
When it comes to inspirational older Christians not many names come to mind as easily as Billy Graham's, so I was excited to read the wisdom he'd gathered for the 200-ish pages of this great book. Without wanting to sound morbid it's essentially Billy Graham's well thought-through last words captured in ten easy-to-read chapters.

On the whole the book's written well - it doesn't minimise the difficulties, frustrations and limitations of growing old, but also doesn't minimise the continued responsibilities of older people, particularly around things like retiring. The lessons delivered in the book are not ground-breaking by any means but they're all worthwhile repeating and re-stressing, at any stage of life. Billy Graham has alread lived my lifetime several times over but a lot of the biblical ideas he presents are instantly applicable to my life as well as someone in their 90s.

But that brings me to my only potentialy criticism of this book (and it's only potential!) - I can't put my finger on exactly who I'd recommend this book to. Certain paragraphs and chapters relate to how to live as an older Christian, so I'd recommend them to retired people. Others relate to lessons Billy Graham's learnt so are really around preparing for old age; I'd have to recommend them to younger people because someone in their 80s or 90s may feel it's too late, for example, to start saving money for their old age! Others are timeless truths and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone, Christian or not.

So if you're looking for some good wisdom this is certainly a decent book, but I think because of the subject matter it's a really personal thing whether you'll find the contents encouraging, challenging, uplifting or frustrating.

I got this book for free from BookSneeze.com. I'm not required to give a positive review.
on 6 February 2012
Billy Graham has been a very dedicated preacher of the gospel for so many years and has reached so many people all over the world with his crusades. Now he is looking at the inevitable time when we must all leave the present world. This book gives his thoughts about this in a very sensitive way. Very worth reading.
on 12 February 2012
This is a wonderful book written with great feeling by an esteemed elderly preacher, with the wisdom of his years, yet with the clarity of thought of a person half his age. He gives very sound advice for us all. Nearing Home - Thoughts on Life, Faith and Finishing Well
on 2 January 2012
Nearing Home by Billy Graham

Subtitled `Life, Faith and Finishing Well', this is an excellent book by the author now in his nineties and obviously ready for his last journey. Billy quotes a person who said "The gift of old age is remembrance" and I like the way he mentions that his last few years have brought the gift of observation and reflection. As you would imagine, this book contains a lot of Scripture quotes to be applied to living in retirement - we don't retire from life! We can still bear fruit in old age as the Psalmist said. We need to plan for our `Golden' years, for the practical aspects, such as making a will and discussing our affairs with our children. We can have influence on future generations by passing on our faith and teaching them to build on the sure foundation that is Jesus Christ. How often do we hear old people saying "All I can do is pray"? Billy's reply is "God bless you for doing the most important thing".
Billy may not be able to preach to crowds any more, but even from his chair, he is able to speak to individuals through this book. I would recommend it to all age groups as not everyone will reach old age before being called home, but we should all be prepared.
(I was given a complimentary copy of this book by Thomas Nelson, but this in no way influenced my review)
on 22 March 2012
Never have I given growing old so much thought as I have in the past two weeks. I guess I thought I would live forever with the perfect health that I currently enjoy. Growing old was something I feared in many ways but paid very little attention to. It just seemed so far ahead that it almost seemed silly to start thinking about it now!

Well, I was wrong! Billy Graham's book, Nearing Home, is an honest look at his life and his struggle with the aging process. Now in his 90s, he tells the truth and holds nothing back. Growing old is not easy and Billy shares many of his pains, sorrows and struggles. He also delves into practical things such as retirement planning, financial matters and ministry issues. I can't begin to tell you how highly I recommend this book to both the young and old.

* Nearing Home was provided to me for free by Thomas Nelson for my honest review.
on 30 January 2012
wonderful book,and its from a wonderful christian. He is a great inspiration to everyone. Hope he is still with us for a long time to come. He would be sorely missed.
on 1 December 2011
pleased with preliminary ordering procedure ie pr-order, delivery, cost, packaging etc was superb. The book itself is everything I would expect from Dr Billy Graham. A treasure that will allow 'continual sipping into' over the coming days.
on 8 September 2012
Dr. Billy Graham has once again demonstrated in writing this book his skill not only as an author but even in his nineties still has a ministry of God's word. The book is well written and easy to read and has a message for everybody, whether just starting out in retirement or "nearing home".
on 14 August 2012
Billy Graham writes lucidly at the December end of his long life reminiscent of St Paul, having fought the good fight and urging undaunted faithfulness to his Saviour. He clearly misses Ruth his wife dearly which is very moving, but does not dwell overmuch on past events or controversies. Having heard him in Manchester in 1962, his message to keep the faith is unchanged and never self-centred. This is a stirring easily read but profound book for older Christians primarily, including me.