on 17 May 2017
The most wonderful story about a boy who is spoilt materially, but totally lacking in the understanding of, and time with his parents. Empowering to kids, reminds them what the really important things in life are. I've bought lots of copies for presents and have read it twice to both my kids.
on 24 April 2018
This was a gift for somebody else.
on 31 December 2012
I bought this book to read to my little cousins and I must admit I wouldn't mind a copy of it myself. The age recommendation says 8+ but use your intuition and knowledge of the child. It's a great story for those with pets and does well the help them see things from an animals points of view - especially if they tend to torment them! Plus it's just a great tale that is wonderfully written by an excellent author. The illustration on the front it great as well. I would definitely recommend.
on 13 April 2018
Love this book thanks
on 20 February 2016
Finally, I have found a book that my 9 year old can read (and enjoy!) that is written in straightforward, modern, plain English. Among the old fashioned classics written in out-of-date English, and the modern "books" (... Mr Gum, Diary of Loser etc etc) that make a complete shambles of our language, this book is a real treasure.
on 14 October 2016
A wonderful book which will warm every child's heart that has ever longed for a dog. My grandchildren loved it as did other
children that I have given it to.
on 11 March 2013
An excellent book by Eva ibbotson probably the best one yet although I would recommend The Abominables. To write a book as amazing as this one would take years of experience. Which of course Eva ibbotson has [with writing all these books] the saddest part of this story is finishing it because apart from the books I missed out on on which I will soon fill myself in on. There will be no more Eva ibbotson books. And it is so hard to find a talented author such as Eva but I mean her books are outstanding their better than Narnia. So now a need a new book to read. It's so irritating trying to pick out the perfect book to read.
on 12 July 2016
Such a lovely story for young and old....got totally caught up in it and I'm 57!
on 8 February 2018
Great read for upper school children. So many different areas of the curriculum can be taught with the children fully engaged in their learning and asking to read on.
on 28 September 2014
This was an interesting book and not like many book I have recently read that just drag on & on about the same old thing but at last I have found a good one.I think that this book is suitable for ages 9-12 . The he only reason I did not push that down to 7 & 8 year olds is because of the swearing that is also why I did not rate 5 stars
One person found this helpful