Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 January 2015
Well based on the price I got this for (just over £30) it was an absolute bargain. So 20 of Miles Davis's best albums for such a price what's not to like? I admit that as a bit of a Jazz novice I took a bit of a punt after buying 2 or 3 of the albums already, not much of a risk at that price. But I see the price has gone up now, so unless this is re-issued I guess it no longer seems good value and you will be better off sourcing the albums from the era you prefer. It contains 20 of his better know works and is a great introduction to the most famous man of jazz. It is well packaged and presented with a lovely glossy booklet that describes each album briefly. I have added some photos so you get a feel of how this set is presented.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 1 January 2012
I've bought it because the price was right and I didn't have 4 or 5 titles from this set. As it turned out the sound quality of this edition is so good, life-like, that the box replaced my older records too. The covers are mini-vinyl replicas and the whole collection fits in a small handy box. Surprisingly good buy.
on 21 August 2012
I bought this mainly for the 2 disc version of We Want Miles,a fabulous '70's comeback.I saw a performance from this band broadcast on TV and couldn't wait to get it from the shops--we're talking vinyl days--I loved it then,and continue to do so now.The Japanese 2cd version is awfully costly,and having had it once,I found the sound disappointing,however these selections from the Complete Columbia have the sound I remember from my old LP's(or maybe my new Naim CD player is giving me far more accuracy of sound than my old one than I could believe)...all in all,a really good buy for £28.49(I had to search around for the cheapest deal,but it's so much more satisfying to get a bargain,and there are people asking £55 for this).In sum,the one disc I really wanted paid for the box,and at around £1.42 per title(£1.29 per cd)it is an outstanding buy.You also get bonus tracks included in the latest releases of the cd's,and whilst this may not be "Perfect"as a collection,it is darn good.I'd rather have had Agharta and Pangea than,say Star People or Decoy,but how can anyone complain?Just one question,if the 70 cd complete set sells for nearly £400,how can this be sold at less than a tenth of the price?Surely the 70 cd set should be about £100/125? I'll never understand the economics of this kind of thing,but will most definitely recommend this set to anyone,and at the price,you'd be fool to miss it,even if you have a lot of the discs already.As I say,for me the We Want Miles is enough of a temptation to get the whole package.
77 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2016
This is an AMAZING package - especially at this price. The box itself is very sturdy and the CD cases are printed in good-quality colour on good-quality card, (compared to a 5 CD box of Thelonius Monk, whose colour was a bit "grey-ed").
Some of the CDs are a bit short (even with alternative takes) BUT that is so much better than having, say, 1 1/2 LPs per CD. Best be true to the original format.
The booklet is very neat and colourful. Worth pointing out, however, that it is BILINGUAL - English/French. This cuts the amount of text in half - which is further reduced by some lovely photos. So the background info is shorter than expected. All the CD cases include the original notes: but these feel more like advertising - of historical interest only. So buy the excellent biography by Ian Carr for solid background.

This is the best value and quality box set I have bought since I got the complete Brilliant Classics BACH for £40 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 2 March 2013
I am predominantly a rock music fan. Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springsteen, Alter Bridge, Lacuna Coil, Toto...all bands I know and love, and this list is just the tip of the iceberg.

I also appreciate classical music, I love the works of Stravinsky and bits and pieces beyond that.

So the point I am trying to make? I am not a jazz fan. Never liked the stuff, never desired to try. But one day when I was about 17 my best friend (who at the time was all about heavy metal) played me Kind Of Blue. I remember thinking immediately that I didn't dislike it. And for years, shards of that album lingered in my mind. I thought nothing serious of him, or the album, but I immediately felt that he was somebody to be admired.

A few years later I was bored of the music I embraced wholeheartedly in my teens. To this date, only two bands from my school days linger with me: Khoma and Lacuna Coil. So I went on Amazon with the intention of broadening my horizons. I bought a copy of Kind Of Blue that also featured Asvenseur Pour Le Chaud (or something along those lines) and Something Else. All those albums blue my mind! Over the next couple of years I would go on to replay those albums a lot, and my appetite for more was whet!

So I debated on what to get next. I purchased a couple of compilations, but they were not enough! So when I shopped around for a copy of Bitches Brew and others, the cost just skyrocketed! And then I found this box set...

Now, immediately I noticed that in a box set of 20albums, a host of bonus tracks were supplied as well as a good quality booklet. Most of the albums I wanted were included, as well as many more. I bought it for about £30 and I'm still getting through it slowly.

Sketches Of Spain, Porgy And Bess, Bitches Brew, 1958 Miles...o my goodness this man worked wonders! I just cannot believe how great this man is! I'm still not sure exactly how much I like jazz yet as a genre, but Miles Davis himself is a musician I have come to greatly admire! I haven't warmed to everything, but some of the stuff I have grown to love, if I bought them separately, would ultimately have come to a much higher price than what I payed just for this item!

Everything about this is quality. It doesn't have everything I want, I really wish his set contained the Prestige albums, but on the whole I cannot fault what is featured.

In short, my best purchase of 2013 so far. If anyone had any further recommendations on other Miles Davis works or other notable jazz artists, please let me know by leaving a couple of comments!

19/08/13 EDIT: Now i have spent more time with this boxset, i am happy to announce i have my very own personal favourite: Nefertiti. it is simply wonderful, and it feels intense and quite dark in comparison to the rest of his work. a real gem and a personal favourite in my collection of music. i might never have heard it had i not paid for this box set!

and in a silent way is another, gentler masterpiece. i love that too!
on 19 January 2014
This box set is great value for people that want to explore Miles Davis' legacy. It collects almost all of Miles Davis' studio albums for Columbia (but we aware that Miles Davis recorded with a number of labels for about a decade before he signed with Columbia and he left Columbia and signed with Warner at the end of his career, so this box set does not span his entire career). All of his significant Columbia studio albums are included in this box set.

The box set does not include many of his live albums but you can use this set to determine which period of his career you are most interested in, and then buy some of the live albums and deluxe editions that Sony has released from that phase of his career.

The CDs come in cardboard sleeves. All of the sleeves and CDs arrived in excellent condition.
on 7 April 2012
Never quite sure who something like this box set is aimed at. Chances are most Miles or Jazz fans will have quite a number of these albums. For someone who doesn't, shelling out £40 might be too much and 20 albums is a bit overwhelming anyway. Nonetheless it does represent excellent value. If you just have a couple of Miles's albums like Sketches of Spain or Kind of Blue, this collection would be worth getting for other great records like Miles Smiles, Nefertiti and Filles de Kilimanjaro. But there isn't an album in the whole collection one wouldn't want to play.

Just one other comment. The emphasis is on Miles's middle and later albums. Fair enough, but, personally, I love the Prestige records and a truly 'perfect' collection would include more of these works.
on 10 November 2015
Like many I grew up with rock music and was always aware of Miles but had never listened until now
Wow what an amazing collection this truly is and an absolute bargain to boot
Here you have music from.each era of miles music the 50's Bebop and first 2 bands then onto the electric period and then into the funk era
Some seminal albums here too including a kind of blue, in a silent way and bitches brew and also
We want miles
This is a terrific starting point but be warned this will take a hold of you and you will want more of Miles Davis output and I'd also recommend Ian Carer's excellent bookies Davis the definitive biography which will help it all make sense
Are you ready for the most amazing musical journey ...then what are you waiting for ...
on 28 February 2016
There are many in depth reviews of the music, so refer to them if you are in doubt about what to expect from the genius of Miles Davis. I'll just say what I felt about the set itself. The sleeves are made of a strong cardboard, not always the way with some sets, The book, as with all these Sony box sets, is informative and concise. Plus it is the only way to check on the track listings as the discs are full of extra tracks. The discs themselves sound very good and while no expert seem well remastered. I picked up this set from Amazon for £25 so that made it a great bargain. As with most things to do with Amazon patience is a virtue.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2015
Great value for money. This box contains most of the great Columbia Davis studio albums, which include his finest works. BUT...be warned, there are three important albums, and one lesser, missing. 'Milestones' was the second Columbia album by the Coltrane group, the first with Cannonball Adderley on it; 'Sorcerer' and 'Miles In The Sky' are two of the five and a half albums by the sixties quintet with Shorter and Hancock. These albums are pretty much critical to the Davis catalogue. The Gil Evans collaboration 'Quiet Nights' is less of an omission. Also missing are a number of excellent live albums from the period. For any newcomer to Miles' music, this would make a great starter complimented by a few individual CD's. Shame about the main 3 missing, though.