Customer reviews

CITY OF JOY (1992) [IMPORT]
Format: DVD|Change

on 7 April 2013
Reasonable film but if you liked the book as I did you may be disappointed as the 'storyline' is nothing like it. The sound quality was also poor and I could not turn the French subtitles off. This proved a bonus as my basic French filled in the gaps that I struggled with on the soundtrack. Worth persevering with though.
on 10 February 2013
Didn't realise this was a french copy English but with french sub titles was a bit off putting but watchable
on 28 November 2013
This another exciting story, it fits all ages, all our family loved it, and yours will do the same, great
on 6 February 2014
This was a Christmas present. Settled down to watch it the other night and found it impossible to watch. On closer inspection I found the DVD (supposedly new) to be very badly scratched over most of surface area, thus making it stop, start,stop,start making it impossible to watch. Wouldn't trust the seller.
on 20 May 2010
one of my all time favorite p.s. films shame it is a canadian import I can only play on my computer.
on 9 March 2014
I remember watching this when I was younger and really loved it.

Dr Max is a man running from not only his mistakes but the shadow of his Father. He comes to India seeking something even he doesn't know and ends up fighting in the slums of india not for himself but for the people and family he has come to love. along the way Max is helped by the local free clinic's nurse (Saint) Joan Bethel and Hazari Pal and his family, who have come to the city looking for work and a better life.

Max learns what it's like to live in the slums of india and what it takes to survive and in doing so helps to save himself.

The film is gritty, it doesn't sugar coat things for you but it will make you think.

I enjoyed it, at the end not everything was alright but things were a bit better in the city of joy and life continued on for the people who lived there.
on 12 August 2013
This is either French or English with French subtitles which is fine. Differing from the book slightly but fantastic none the less. The actors are perfectly chosen and the story is so so true of this beautiful place. It tells a sad tale but leaves you feeling you just must visit.
on 16 December 2012
Great film ,great actors, I read the book and the story not quite the same but recommending to buy the dodo as it is a little gem especially if you know India in the late 50's highly recommended to have on your shelves for visitors
on 11 February 2014
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET THIS ON DVD FOR YEARS . THE SOUNDTRACK IS IN ENGLISH & SUBTITLES CAN BE TURNED OFF. THE PICTURE & SOUND ARE GOOD. THIS IS A GOOD STORY, WHICH SHOWS WHAT LIFE IS REALY LIKE FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE IN INDIA
on 17 August 2012
This DVD was very good quality, although not compatible with my current DVD player being Region 2 - however a friend sorted this out for me and I was able to watch the film....great!