Format: Blu-ray|Change

The story opens in a South American city in the 1800s, where young telegraph operator Florentino (Javier Bardem) sees the lovely Fermina and instantly falls in love. Her father forbids it, the two are parted, and the years pass. Fermina meets a sophisticated doctor (Benjamin Bratt) who is more to her father's liking, while Florentino pines away for his lost love, finding solace in the arms of other women.

I haven't read the novel, so I was able to thoroughly enjoy the movie on its own. It is beautifully photographed in Colombia with a multi-national cast. Bardem plays the innocent, lovestruck Florentino so convincingly I could hardly believe he was the sadistic killer in No Country For Old Men. The movie spans 50 years, and he ages well, tugging at our heartstrings the whole time. The same cannot be said of co-star Giovanna Mezzogiorno, however; she plays the teenage Fermina well, but still looks fairly young at the end of the movie and lacks energy and intensity.

The long-distance love story plays out as the city ages, going through cholera epidemics, civil wars, the coming of the automobile, and evolving wardrobe styles. This is quite a lavishly movie with a simple romantic theme; can unrequited love really last 50 years? Highly recommended.
Having just read the book and being impressed by it's beauty and rich detail, it has to be said that the film of `Love in the Time of Cholera' left me feeling very disappointed. It is a very flat portrayal of the story and although it is relatively faithful to the book (with a few omissions), you would be hard pressed to follow certain events and recognise their relevance, unless you had some previous awareness of the plot. Javier Bardem is the best of a bad set of actors and unusually even he is pretty wooden in this film. The locations are stunning to look at and whilst my friend raves about the soundtrack, I found it to be nothing special or note worthy. This film drags when you are watching it and I took a break half way through to do something else, I'm just glad I didn't watch it at the cinema for this reason. It is hard to pinpoint just what it is about this film that disappoints so much; maybe it is because I have just read the book, or it is because of the various reasons I have noted above, but whatever it is I would have to say that I wouldn't rush to watch this again and wouldn't recommend it in a hurry. It is a shame it didn't live up to it's promise.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 17 June 2016
Loved the book, but disappointed in film. Although a great actor, Havier Bardem was miscast. To be fair, I don't think anyone could do justice to the book. Perhaps Anthony Mingela if he was still with us? He did a tremendous job on The English Patient, a book that I thought unfilmable.
on 5 May 2013
I bought this DVD to supplement the book I'll have to read for my course. I planned to watch it after reading the book, but I couldn't wait, I just love Javier Bardem :). No idea how close it is to the book, though. The reason I give this 4 stars because I don't like so many "intimate" scenes in movies, although I know that really IS the point of the story :). Other than that, great performances by the whole cast :).
on 21 March 2016
This film has no well known Hollywood actors in it the two main ones are Javier Bardem and Benjamin Bratt it basically is about a young couple who meet fall in love but have to part she later Mary's a much older man
on 11 May 2011
Sometimes movies disappoint you after you read the book, e.g. The Da Vinci Code. Not this movie, it was perfect for me. I read almost everything written by Garcia Marquez and I truly recognized the characters from the book in this movie.
on 24 April 2015
This title has been on my reading list for some time so it was good that it came out on film. A story covering many years from youth to old age. Quite an eye-opener regarding sex and the older person..... Vomiting scenes involved - but then that's part of Cholera.
Love in the Time of Cholera is the movie based on the novel of the same title by Colombian author, Gabriel Garcia Marquez. The movie follows the basic plot of the novel fairly closely. The scenery is sumptuous, the costumes similarly rich and the major characters are well portrayed. Very enjoyable.
on 11 February 2009
I like this movie very much - I think anyone with broken heart can find him/herself in this movie. I think that it is very close to the novel.
The soundtrack is great- I actually bought it - and I am not a Shakira fan, but I like her songs very much in this movie
The making of is very interesting. I learnt that Garcia Marquez supported the movie and actually asked Shakira to use and compose some of songs for the soundtrack.
I would have liked the movie to be longer - but I had not read the book before - shame on me ;-) - so the book is like and extended movie with all the deleted scenes.
Enjoy both!
on 16 June 2013
Having read the book, I was interested to see how the film would differ. In fact, it sticks fairly consistently to the story, and it was interesting to see how the various actors fitted in with the roles. There were some differences but they didn't detract from the enjoyment of the film. Certainly worth watching.