Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£43.19

on 30 May 2012
I work as a trainer in the pharma industry and have done so for 20 years, and my main areas of work have been in oncology, haematology (& related supportive &/or palliative therapies). I bought this book as a replacement for the 3rd edition, which due to its superannuation had been gathering dust on my bookshelf for too long - I needed a current reference text for some training materials that I was developing and thought: I know - I'll just by the latest "Hoffbrand & ".... Well first of all it's full of typos - one annoying e.g: Rx bortezomid anyone? Hint - you wont find it in the BNF, try bortezomib instead. (the only place where it's spelled correctly is, thankful for small mercies, in the chapter on myeloma). Then there are some bizarre answers to the MCQs on line - try the q on the infectious agent most commonly associated with Burkitts Lymphoma and if you thought EBV, well you'd be right (but not according to the website, which I suspect of pushing "malaria"). Then it gets worse - a generation of budding haematologists thinking that you can use fluconazole as a prophylaxis against Aspergillus spp. infection. You'd do better with prayer/strong drink/crossed fingers & could reduce your drugs budget to boot. Oddly enough, the authors credit the world renowned mycologist Dr Liz Johnson for some of the images etc in the section on fungi - if they'd only asked her to proof the copy as well they'd have saved some embarrassment. The problem that I have is - in the areas that I know a little bit about, I know that there are some glaring errors, so how can I have faith in the rest?
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 March 2015
I use this for my haematology module at uni and it really is a great book, one of the few I've bought for my course as it was so highly recommended by the module leader and I'm really glad I bought it. Includes absolute values for the whole blood count reference ranges. It is also good at collating all the different diseases in with one another (like putting all the acute lymphoid leukaemias together). I'm much better at remembering things I read in a textbook if it has pictures because I tend to take information in better visually and I'm very pleased to say this has a LOT of pictures AND tables it really brilliant. I would certainly shake the hand of Hoffbrand and Moss for their work!
P.S. My tutor tells me there is a postgraduate version of this which goes into even more detail but, it is like £150 so they said don't bother buying it, and I've been getting 1st's revising from this in 3rd year.
on 11 February 2016
I received this title whilst a medical student to review for the publisher and complete this review now as a junior doctor.

If you are looking for a textbook on Haematology then this title should be amongst your top considerations, it is highly useful in that it comes with both a print and e-version of the title for the reader that purchases a copy of it. It comes with a significant number of high quality images and diagrams that aid the reader in understanding Haematology. Perhaps the only true critique that I have of this title is that the questions on the website seem like an after-thought, there is on average only 1 question for each chapter in the book and they are primarily just a multiple choice one on a non-clinical question. I would have liked to have seen the website utilised as a means to have clinical scenario multiple choice questions as you would anticipate encountering in your finals or membership examination.

In conclusion this book is certainly a useful read if you are looking for a textbook on haematology in order to either learn for the first time or to brush up on your understanding.

Competing Interests: Junior Doctor Book Reviewer - I received this title for free from the publisher whilst a Medical Student in order to review
on 9 October 2011
Although its 10 years since i used a previous edition of this book at medical school in Nottingham i couldn't resist buying this new edition again. It looked so pretty on the shelf and when i flicked through i was impressed by the number of quality images. At medical school i remember it felt slightly stuffy and had excessive detail whereas now it seems slightly superficial. But actually overall i think the text itself is very good because its really honed down to the "essentials" yet in some areas it would definitely give you more depth than says the chapter in Davidson's. The organization and length of the chapters is excellent, modular but consistent. Its the kind of book you can easily read cover to cover, unlike the Davidsons's chapter which always strikes me as rather boring every time i try to read it. Having said all that if i was at medical school and short of money i'd question whether i really needed it beyond the chapter in Davidson's. I think if money is tight then you're better of just buying Davidson's and using lecture materials. Possibly this book has slightly more on the basic science of haemopoeisis which might be required for undergrads from what i remember of medical school.
For me this book remains a firm favourite and knowing the essentials of haematology is widely useful as a medical SHO/SpR
on 31 May 2011
A beautifully produced and illustrated text book. The fact that you can also download it in digital form makes it even more attractive and the availability of the diagrams and tables online for presentation purposes makes this an excellent buy. I cannot recommend it highly enough!
on 4 May 2011
Hoffbrand has been the flagship haematology textbook for many years and the new edition is no exception. Chapters cover all the key topics in haematology in a straightforward style perfect for undergraduate study. However, it also goes above and beyond any undergraduate curriculum, with numerous `extension' areas now included. The level of detail these bring to every topic may seem intimidating, but even the most complex topics are clear and concise, making Hoffbrand accessible to undergraduates and postgraduates alike.
The slides and photograph complement the text well, and sections on haematological malignancies have been divided and extended, making the new edition noticeably fatter than the 5th edition. The online content has also been expanded to include multiple choice questions for undergraduates.
The 6th edition of this incredibly comprehensive text ensures Essential Haematology will keep its place as the ultimate haematology reference.
on 26 October 2014
I love this book more than my favourite fiction novels. Its so useful to have it to refer to! Perfect for the university student or post graduate studying haematology, even at a higher level.
on 24 January 2012
This book is concise, yet teaches a detailed level of haematology. I found this book to be invaluable when learning haematology. It is definitely the book of choice for students.
on 6 December 2011
If you are in the field of Haematology, whether of a clinical or scientific background, then this is a excellent overall update in the field and I would certainly recommend it.
on 30 April 2013
Great price for brand new book, arrived in good time. Very useful for undergraduate biomedical science degree work. . .