VINE VOICEon 14 October 2015
I always liked the band at the time and found their lyrical and musical style a change from other performers like Roxy Music, David Bowie, New York Dolls - all amazing in their own ways. With AH it is the sheer power of the vocals and some incredible together playing from the whole band.

The band is not one that I bought at the time but I have a never forgotten image of a mate at work singing Boston Tea Party in a way close to Alex and actually heard it recently and for me this is the high point of the whole 2 CDs, A truly inspired performance, with subtle changes in dynamics a thing of beauty - this light and shade being a general hallmark of many of the songs.

The opener Framed is a song that only Alex could pull off - amusing and with a performance to marvel at. I also like Delilah, Next and their version of School's Out.

I have to say that I do tend to play these tracks more, during the few days since bought it - but they are worth the price alone. I think that, like Nazareth, it is a few tracks that really grab me but these 2 discs are recommended as a reminder of what these sublime showmen could do.
on 27 May 2014
I first hear of Alex Harvey when his death was announced on the BBC news so I never got to see him live, which is a shame. Recently I heard a snippet of Faith Healer on Radio 4 and immediately searched for a CD on Amazon with Autorip (sadly the turntable is in need of some TLC).

Within minutes I was listening to the album and it is so good. Some tracks I had never heard before, were a joy. The standards Faith Healer, Boston Tea Party, Framed etc are represented here. I loved his version of Shout.

There's a wide selection of tracks here, which shows Alex's range in his repertoire. I don't know if I'd quite describe it as the "best of" in the traditional sense of such compilations but it is certainly gives the "best flavour" of a very talented individual.

Highly recommended.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 November 2011
This is an excellent compilation which covers Alex Harvey's career from its beginnings upto and including the SAHB era. It has (almost) all the hits (Bar Room Blues is missing) but all the others are present are collect. Some songs are duplicated but the live vesrions are so memorable (especially if you've ever seen the Old Grey Whistle Test performances) the duplication is forgivable. It also includes a good selection of SAHB album tracks. Its made me want to dig out my old vinyl copies of my original SAHB albums and buy a turntable. Great memories of a sensational performer. A recommended purchase.
8 people found this helpful
on 1 March 2018
Beware that a number of songs on cd 1 are repeated on cd 2, all be it different versions. Otherwise, great songs and wonderful vocals too.
on 25 April 2013
This collection is amazing and acts as a great companion to the original albums or as a starter collection for people new to SAHB. I saw the band many times in the 1980s and have recently started to get back into them again. They are one of my favourite bands ever and certainly the best to ever come out of Scotland. I would particularly recommend this to younger folks out there who may not know much about this amazing band and want to learn more.
on 21 April 2018
It's a long time since Alex Harvey delighted audiences but we have never forgotten him. 0
on 16 April 2018
Alex Harvey rocks, great.
on 8 August 2013
Not sure if asked that any fan of Alex would agree on half of the choices here as being "Best Of" For me I think you're better off with the twofers on sale at Amazon. A little more expensive but I bet you'll play them morte often than two thirds of this. A bit of a cash in methinks.
3 people found this helpful
on 11 May 2017
Features all the well known tracks and some of the early Alex Harvey stuff as well a fantastic CD
on 23 May 2018