on 4 April 2013
Enjoyable and easy to follow with enough difficulty to make sure you still work at understanding Spanish. Highly recommend this.
on 9 January 2012
This is a reasonably interesting short story about 2 American sisters taking a trip into the Sahara. I am an intermediate to advanced reader of Spanish and found the the text easy to follow. I have Merriam-Webster's Spanish-English Translation Dictionary, Kindle Edition installed on my Kindle which helps with the occasional word I need to look up. (You have to change the default dictionary on the Kindle when reading Spanish text to use the dictionary).
I say learners beware as the book could really do with some serious proof reading. There are grammatical errors every couple of pages. My Spanish partner reading the pages over my shoulder was seriously concerned that I was reading something so filled with errors.
If you have a good level of Spanish you will spot them so it will be good practice. A teacher using this book might ask the students to spot the errors and report back as an exercise.
If you are keen to practice your Spanish though don't let it put you off for the price it is ok and the level at least means you get to read something to practice.
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2012
My Spanish is at beginner/intermediate level so I had to look up a lot of vocabulary, but I still enjoyed the story and I increased my vocabulary. I enjoy reading and find that this is a good way to supplement the lessons I have in my Spanish class. For people who enjoy reading I would recommend this book and I would like to read more in this series.
on 8 October 2013
The book is written in the first person using the present tense to describe the past. There is a bit of other tenses thrown in as well. I'd previously read Anabela Por Siempre (first person, past), La Rosa de los vientos (third person past) and Capitan de los vientos (third person, past). So this book helped me exercise a slightly different area of the language.

I didn't find the plot or descriptions as engaging as the other books but if you download a sample and find that it stretches you a bit then it will entertain you whilst you learn more Spanish.
on 14 July 2015
This is the second book I have purchased by this author. As an beginner/elementary learner of Spanish I have found these books to be an absolute boon. The first one I attempted was 'Anabela por siempre''. At that time I didn't have a clue about past or future tense (I am teaching myself Spanish at home). Following the first read of that one I wasn't quite sure about the story but, as a beginner, I had grasped the idea of the tale with much help from the kindle dictionary. The second time I read it I couldn't put it down! Although I still hadn't learned past and future tenses to any great degree (and I still haven't) I could at least recognise when the past/imperfect was being used - now I just have to figure out the difference!

I'm really looking forward to reading La Puerta al Sahara and thus far it looks promising. I'd recommend both these books. Happy reading!
on 21 November 2013
I couldnt sleep one night and then I remembered that my Kindle was on the dressing table so I sat by the bedside light and read the story. I absolutely loved it because it was written in a very straightforward, comprehensive style and I didn't need to keep referring to the Spanish/ English dictionary. I will have to research the writer, I definitely will buy more of her books.
on 27 November 2012
Great for the Spanish; a fairly straightforward read for an intermediate learner I would say. I didn't like the story but it seemed like it was aimed at teenagers maybe and I didn't expect a literary masterpiece. If you want a good story, in Spanish, try an original Isabel Allende!
on 5 May 2014
I have really enjoyed reading this book. I am intermediate level. In our classes we are encouraged to read.
The books that Christine Tiday has written are easy and have good storylines,
Good way to enhance your vocab.
on 4 February 2013
I have been studying spanish for a few years on & off, and I have recently read, thoroughly enjoyed and been able to understand this book without having to look up too many words!
on 13 September 2015
A good book for learners with some experience of Spanish. Keep your mobile phone translator nearby! A great way to improve your Spanish with a bit of excitement thrown in.