Customer reviews

on 22 March 2012
What a fantastic story! As said before, shades of the great Enid Blyton here - like Enid? You'll love this book! It also cleverly shows how mobile phones and the internet don't alter the danger much - clever ways round always being able to phone the police! I loved the character development, and after a few pages I became attached to them. Really good, and I also hope for several sequels! Mind you, you've a long way to go to catch up with Enid Blyton! A great story in its own right and suitable for all ages.
10 people found this helpful
on 8 November 2013
Obviously all these types of books have a strong nod to Enid Blyton and also Helen Moss who seems to have picked up the baton
but thankfully devoid of Blyton's prejudices.
This book was a good read with the usual strong female lead. Lou and David were well rounded characters - the other two being
merely supporting ones. It didn't deviate from the usual smugglers/children adventures and didn't have the detection theme of
Helen Moss stories but it was well written and didn't cost nearly as much-recommended and will read more.
on 16 January 2018
I've only just read this book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great introduction to what I now know is a series of books. Loved the suspense as the book neared the end. I couldn't read it fast enough.

I also loved the description of the scenery too - I almost felt I could be there on those beaches.
on 25 June 2014
A lovely tale of three children holidaying in North Wales who are befriended by 'Lou' and together enter into a thrilling adventure.

Great characters, lovely locations, fabulous descriptions'. There's sun, sea, lighthouse's, islands, boat trips all you'd hope for in a children's adventure story.

It's a modern day Blyton (only far superior) without the (now irritating) discrimination, bullying and snobbery.

If you are/were a Blyton fan you'll love this!
on 28 December 2013
I bought this book as I was browsing through Amazon and I like to read new authors. Smugglers at Whistling Sands is a roller coaster of a novel, in the style of Enid Blyton's famous five series. It is just as good, in my opinion. I also know Abersoch very well so enjoyed the "local" aspects of the story. The author cleverly keeps you captivated at the end of each chapter, willing you; in fact imploring you to carry on reading. It is incredibly hard to put down. For a first book by the author in this series I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes adventure stories. Children will enjoy the adventure, the bravery and the mystery. Adults alike will enjoy the excellent writing and the gripping storyline as well as the enchanting characters.
3 people found this helpful
on 3 March 2012
A really well-written book, past paced with excellent characterisation. It has echoes of Enid Blyton's holiday adventures, certainly, but is still wholly original. And just as Blyton was famous for her sequels, so please let's have a follow-up!
10 people found this helpful
on 27 November 2012
Wonderful book ! Everything you could want from a children's story. Adventure, intrigue, suspense, wonderful characters, and a descriptive text that draws the reader into the story. I have to say, I enjoyed reading this book as much as those written by Arthur Ransome or Enid Blyton, and that's not something I say lightly. Come on George, please give us another adventure for Lou and the gang.
on 8 May 2012
What a wonderful read. Fast paced, emotional, dangerous and exciting, this book quickly makes you care for the characters immediately without being patronising. This book brings back memories of the greatest storyteller, Enid Blyton, in modern times, without ruining the tension with modern technology. Highly recommended. Please, please, please, can we have a sequel soon?
6 people found this helpful
on 13 March 2013
As above another Brilliant book
Well written easy to read absorbing
Chilren will love it should be in all librarys
on 8 June 2014
it was a very good book (like The Famous Five ) I would of liked it to have been a little bit shorter but the actually storyline was really good and it was topped of with a happy ending. xx