Customer reviews

Vaughan Williams: The Nine Symphonies (British Composers)
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 March 2012
Sir Adrian Boult, Ralph Vaughan Williams, EMI recordings from the late 1960s... need one say more? This is a wonderful set and an outstanding bargain. The only slight disappointment for me is the Sixth. I preferred Sir Adrian's earlier recording which I still have on a ten inch LP inherited from my father and among more recent recordings Andrew Davis's 1991 Teldec performance freezes my blood in a way that Boult's doesn't. I accept that there is a big element of subjective preference in this and others may well disagree. Overall, however, this is Sir Adrian Boult at his finest and the set is worth every penny of the remarkably modest asking price.
32 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 30 October 2014
what can i say. to get all 9 symphonies , conducted by Sir Adrian Bolt at such a great price was a find and extremely satisfying
on 4 July 2015
Fantastic. Have several of these Decca recordings on vinyl which is a bonus!
on 15 July 2016
excellent
on 13 May 2015
Superb set of CD's and very good value as well.
Sir Adrian Boult was one of the best interpreters of English music and this is well reflected in this set. Definitely recommended.
on 3 November 2015
A+
on 25 February 2015
A great budget price collection.
on 13 July 2015
An excellent set of recordings. Sir Adrian Boult remains the best interpreter of VW's works.
on 1 December 2013
A well packaged set of classic recordings, digitally re-mastered and of good quality. The card case and envelopes for each disc make it space efficient, good to take in the car etc.
on 10 April 2013
The CDs are in cardboard sleeves but I don't think that should be a worry and the box includes an atractive booklet about the symphonies. This is my first integral set of them but I have on LP Boult's recordings of 'A Sea Symphony' and 'A London Symphony'. I also have other VW CDs by others such as Haitink, Barbirolli, Handley, Bakels and Thompson. I bought this Boult set because I like both his EMI recordings of the 'Sea' and 'London' symphonies and wanted them on CD. I much prefer Sheila Armstrong's contribution at the close of the First to Felicity Lott's, the soprano on Haitink's excellent recording, but Lott doesn't move me as Armstrong does, who almost reduces me to tears. I realise that sometimes individual records are better than some others, for example, some critics think that Andrew Davies' Sixth is the very best, and buying what critics recommend is one approach to building a collection so long as you can afford it and are prepared to keep buying , because what are regarded as the best recordings constantly changes. This, of course, is where good box sets are very useful and this is a very good box set.

I haven't been at all disappointed by Boult's EMI set and yes, Sheila Armstrong's singing still almost reduces me to tears and not a single performance is less than very good. Overall,I prefer Hatink's'London' but Boult draws out the haunting beauty of the lavender seller in the second movement better than either Haitink or Barbirolli. If it was possible to wear out the CD of the Fifth and Ninth (I should add that I'm still reeling from the performances of the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth symphonies at the Proms last year), I probably would have done so by now.

Wonderful set, fine sound and great value.
17 people found this helpful