on 24 November 2014
This review is for the Maxmovil defy+ which is not....NOT...the JCB version. I'll start with the conclusion. Only buy this item if you want an IP67 certified phone (for all intents and purposes waterproof - safe in pocket when it rains, dropped in puddle, bit muddy...however not suitable under jets of water) - I wanted it because I run marathons etc and this phone fitted the bill for use with the Endomondo sports tracker and peace of mind that the phone will not fail because of the weather just when it is needed. If you don't need IP67 buy a Motorola E or G for a few pennies more you'll get much more for your money.

As a smartphone this would garner perhaps 3, more likely 2, stars.
Slowish. Screen ok. 5mp camera not bad. Camcorder low resolution - ok for social media, or YouTube (has fast/slow motion features). No front camera. No hdmi. Internal memory ok. Call quality good. Battery easy to change. GPS works well.

This phone suits me as my running companion, youtubing, maps, calls and finding news etc.
on 9 April 2014
The Defy+ is great. Not the latest version of Android but it works fine, including my hosted Exchange service (Corporate Sync). The protection against water and dust is VERY useful for me. I have had an earlier model of Defy for several years and it was great. This newer model is noticeably faster and the battery life is longer (different battery type). I'm very happy with it. Also, the supplier was excellent and even though it came from Germany, it arrived very quickly, was well-packed and in perfect new condition. Highly recommended.
on 26 May 2013
I have always stuck with Nokia phones in the past, and it took a real leap of faith to plump for a Motorola. Not greatly promoted in the UK, the Defy+ is a great little phone! It may not be the newest smartphone around, but it works for me. I can get my e-mail, facebook, texts etc etc, and it even makes phonecalls too!! I did have a small problem setting up my Motoblur account, but that was easily sorted, and a glitch with my facebook was overcome by downloading a new (free) app. The Android app store is magnificent, and so far I have only found one app that I wanted that I needed to pay for. The memory size in the phone is a bit small, but it came with a 2GB memory card, that I swapped for an 8GB, so that sorted that. It has all the usual stuff like calendar, music, camera, and with the app store there is probably little that this phone can't do. It might be a bit small for some people, and the texting keyboard takes a bit of getting used to, but after 15+ years of Nokia phones it is all pretty new to me. The phone is allegedly water resistant, and it has a toughened screen, neither of which I have put to the test yet! I have found it hard to get accessories, largely because the phone is not a new model, but they are out there if you look hard enough. The only really bad thing I have to say so far, is that I can't change the text alert tone to anything other than something from the built in selection, so all my comedy text tones are now redundant. Saying that, if that is the only thing wrong with the phone, then it can't be bad.
on 23 August 2015
I owned this phone and its predecessor for about 3 years, only just upgraded this month (Aug 2015) to something newer. Compact size, lovely ergonomics, decent battery life, water proof, was very happy with this phone for a long time. However, it's old tech now and for the price, you're be better off paying slightly more for a newer/faster phone, as all the latest apps will drag down the performance of this phone to a snail's pace, hence the 3 stars. If only Motorola would produce that was up to date and the same or a very similar size, I wouldn't have switched over to a blisteringly fast Sony (larger than I really wanted - but getting used to it now) for my latest phone.
on 23 June 2014
I personally think this is a great phone. Seems to me that it has more or less all the features of an up to the minute phone but at a third of the price. Maps, good camera, satnav, good touch screen - not sure what else you would want... It is also waterproof to a degree and has a toughened screen - there are very few phones with these features. A great buy
on 2 October 2015
Took a long Time to arrive finding the phone hard to use keeps freezing and jumping from one app to another and if your not well up on technology think this is a hard phone to use .thats my personal opinion
on 27 December 2014
Not as functional or quick as the latest phones, but it is still capable of web browsing, e-mail, social networking on the go, and has a reasonable camera. The strong points are its compact size and rugged durability.
on 28 July 2016
phone constantly switches off also has overheated and now wont charge battery sitting at 5%charge also had porblems recieving emails phone is unsable