on 16 March 2017
The mac arrived in good condition but the charger does not work and there seems to be no way to return the charger for a replacement without getting a refund for the whole delivery
on 2 November 2011
I am not going to go into any technical details as there are a whole host of reviews that can be uncovered by a simple google search, instead I want to concentrate more on the "feel" of the Air

First impressions are... wow. I had tested one in the Apple store several times, but it is hard to appreciate its size and portability until you own one. I seem to find myself randomly picking it u just to spin it round and marvel at it's size and weight. If any thing it is a little too portable, I took it out for the first time on Thursday, and couldn't even tell it was in my bag. So much so that my paranoia of protecting my shiny new toy kicked in and I found myself opening my bag every five minutes to check I had not been pick pocketed. Hopefully this paranoia will wear off after a few weeks.

Aa a previous Windows fan and Windows 7 user I was a little sceptical about swithching to a mac and not too sure how hard it would be to adapt to using a new operating system. A few days of messing around have proved my fears were unjustified and I have actually enjoyed and still am enjoying the learning curve, infact after only two days of using my Macbook Air I logged back onto my Windows PC and found that I kept trying to use multi-touch which is a part of the new Lion OS.

The model I purchased was the upgraded 1.8Ghz i7 with a 128Gb Hard drive and 4Gb Ram, and compared to my 2 year old 2.13 Ghz dual core Windows laptop this feels a lot faster and more polished. The size of the hard drive was a concern coming from a larger 3.5 inch SATA styl hard drive, however this is easily remedied by keeping most of my videos and music on a small and inexpensive (£80 for 1Tb) external hard drive.

The only issue I have encountered so far is moving my music collections into i-tunes, however this is only because I was stupid enough to have ripped my entire CD collection originally using WMA lossless which has DRM copyright protection in place so it cannot be converted or transferred.

I still have nothing ut positives for the new Air, and I think I will have no issues with it becoming my sole PC. There have been two commen issues raised on forums and in reviews, firstly some people have stated that the fans are really noisy, so far I have not had an issue with this, and when running alongside my laptop with the same programs running it is actually a lot quieter. The second concern people have raised is the issue of overheating, as I am typing this with the Mac Air on my lap it is slightly warm to the touch, but no more so than any other electrical device I have used and it has only ever gotten hot under prolonged use like running Football Manager 2011 for hours.

I could not recommend this highly enough as long as you are sure that an 11' laptop is the right choice for you, if you are considering purchasing one then please feel free to post any comments and I will get back to you.
1616 Comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2012
This is my first Mac I have ever owned, I've played on them occasionally in the past whilst walking past Apple before but I am a complete newbie with them, but wow. Ease of use is what I have to say. It is so so easy to use, so quick to pick up on all the new techniques and it is ridiculously fast at performing tasks. The one I have is the brand new one announced at Apples WWDC 2012, it has 4GB RAM, 64GB Flash Storage and Intel i5 1.7GHz Processor with something called Turbo Boost. There are so many nice little touches with this machine, such as backlit keyboards, a small and long wire plug for the power cable which is also magnetic to avoid any drops or slides if the wire is pulled.
All in all it's a great piece of kit, highly recommended; 5/5
on 31 March 2016
I have invested in many laptops, 4 to be precise and they were low budget and high end Acer laptops and have all broken down which overall I had spent over nearly 2k. So now since I have purchased this item, it has been nearly 2 years since I've had this product and I can categorically say that this is best investment I have made without a shadow of a doubt. An absolute beauty and a beast of a machine. I have had no issues myself what so ever with the machine. the updates are a slight nuisance but the overall machine itself is stunning.
Having brought MBPros for my wife and seen how good they were I thought that I would make the switch and I am so glad that I did.
The MBA is a dream it boots up and shuts down in a blink of an eye and runs as many apps as you care to simultaneously with no trace of slowing down. Surfing the net is great in that no cumbersome antivirus is required.
The local Apple store have been great in helping migrate my work, contacts diaries over from my windows laptop and I would recommend taking out an 1 year one to one subscription to help familiarise one's self with the Apple OS and apps. Having said that I have found much of it very intuitive and haven't had many problems switching. If one did want to continue to use say MS office this can of course be purchased in a Mac version and if one wanted to use Win 7 this can be installed alongside OS Lion and accessed from "boot camp".
Just a note that the WP app "Pages" seem seamlessly compatible with MSWord.
With the MBA the RAM and SSD (solid state drive) are fixed to the mainboard and are not therefore upgradeable so it is important to buy the best spec you can afford.
The MBA is also so light and portable and the screen resolution is a thing of wonder.
For those who like games the video in the MBA is more than up to the task and the MBA handles WOW4 without blinking an eye!
The two slight niggles are that the SSD capacity at 256Gig is a little less than we are now used to but this is easily overcome by using a USB hard drive (Western Digital My Passport 3 Terabyte), the other is that there are only 2 USB ports. There is a Thunderbolt port which should allow super-fast data transfer in the near future.
As for the lack of an optical drive I can't think of when I last used one - but if you did and you had a Mac Book around you could use Airdrop.
To conclude if you are thinking of a MBA - go for it you will not be disappointed I promise you.
on 8 December 2014
Yes, I took the plunge. Been a PC guy from the very start, never strayed. Got myself a nice shiny new mac book air.

Delivery was superb. Kudos to the reseller.

However, the product is merely good looking. It is an incomplete work tool.

Too many people have experienced the same problem that I had. Specifically, the Trackpad (mouse) had to be replaced after about 18 months. Google it yourself (trackpad is jumpy, erratic behaviour, etc.). The Trackpad seemed to have a life of its own, closing tabs or windows and even deleting documents of its own accord! This problem has been reported by hundreds of people across the Internet.

Apple's support website is in denial about this known issue, preferring instead to ask users to avoid wearing jewellery or to check their power supply or wifi connection when using the Trackpad.

Very patronising and insulting - because broken and poorly built Trackpads and other hardware cannot somehow magically be affected by those things. To add insult to injury, at the apple repair store, the tech recommended hardware replacement within seconds - he'd seen the same problem hundreds of times before. He told me about the cost of replacement and reassured me that the repair would be very quick. Total additional cost to me, just under £100. Not good enough from Apple.

Anyway, the harware replacement happened...on the same day. Well, I was grateful to finally get my near £1000 investment back to working order, albeit after two 2hr roundtrips (4hrs total) and in exchange for an additional 10% payoff to the guys who caused the problem. Given the speed with which it was replaced, I can only assume that Apple keep a good stock of Trackpads in store because they expect to replace all Mac Book Trackpads soon after purchase. Oh, and the warranty on the new hardware, just 90 days!

Stranger things have happened, but never with any of the 10 to 15 PCs that I've owned.
on 9 May 2012
i haven't had a new computer for 6 years and finally decided to get upto date as I needed a laptop for taking on board a boat. my daughter has one of these and recommended it, so I took the plunge and bought one. I have only been using it for a few days but already love the ease of usage for an oldie like me. A bit more practise and I'm sure I will be fine. It will slip into a bag easily for travelling too and I bought a cover for it for protection. It does everything I want it to do (which isn't alot to be honest)and so hope for many years of use.
on 27 August 2011
Bought mine with a 1.8GHz i7 processor and a USB-ethernet adapter.

I wanted it as a more portable replacement for my MacBook Pro (http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1KFGLEUYPRBEQ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm). I have been travelling a lot recently, and the heavy MacBook Pro was becoming a real pain to carry around.
Furthermore, Apple also recently released a quad-core MacMini (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Server-Quad-Core-2-0GHz-Graphics/dp/B005EMLP2Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1314435357&sr=1-3), so I also bought one of these for the heavy-duty processing I used to do with the MacBook Pro.

I am very pleased I made these changes. The MacBook Air's speed for everyday tasks is actually faster than the MacBook Pro's....thanks to the SSD I reckon.

The smaller, lighter casing is also more robust (and therefore more portable) than the MacBook Pro's.
It is also quieter (no hard disk).
Its wifi performance in my office is just as good.
The processing power of this machine is a nice surprise: it scored 582 at Novabench ([...] which is very impressive.
Its power, battery life and portability make the iPad somewhat less useful!
33 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2011
Incredibly slim, and is very attractive. It starts up in less than 10 seconds and shuts down in about 5, and everything works really quickly.
The price is pretty high, however if you are a student then you can save quite a lot of money (14%) - however that's only if you buy it from the apple store. Also the insurance plan for three years goes down from about £200 to around £50 which is really good.

Problems: When you are playing on apps which has pretty decent graphics the CPU heats up to about 90 degrees, which is concerning me about the performance later on. Also their is no dvd drive, which you would expect, just it means I had to buy ms office again, and you can't play any movies unless you download them.

Overall I would recommend it if you can afford it. This is the first laptop/netbook that i've bought from apple and I absolutely love it.
on 5 August 2012
I've been a keen Apple user since 1994 now, and I don't consider myself to be a particularly technically minded person - in other words, I feel that I am the core audience (no pun intended) for the company. I don't want to worry about the specifics of the interface, what I want is to be able to plug a computer in, feel that its OS system is speedy, intuitive and has the flexibility to be a bit personal to my requirements, and not worry. Apple have continually succeeded in giving me what I want in this respect for a long time. No viruses, no complications, just years of pleasurable use.

First things first. This MacBook Air is visually marvellous. When it first arrived my wife signed for it, and at first thought that no computer had arrived. The package seemed to contain nothing in particular, and felt like the weight of the average user manual rather than a computer itself. It's so lightweight it weighs less than an actual physical 100 page A4 notebook, and looks as beautifully designed as you'd expect. Despite its size, the keyboard feels easy to use and the screen has an incredibly sharp definition - this is everything you'd expect from Apple. On top of that, I noticed as soon as I switched this machine on that the absence of a hard drive and the machine's saving to EPRAM chips makes it incredibly speedy. On the basics, the machine really cannot be faulted.

The problems began when I tried to transfer my applications and files over from my admittedly rather old (and temperamental) MacBook. The manual assured me I could use the old computer as a slave drive and simply port everything across, which seemed like an elegant solution. But did it work? Well, no. The ethernet failed to recognise the apparently up-to-date software on the machine and when I went across to an Apple store to get everything checked over, I was told that the old 2006 model was simply too dated for my new laptop to recognise. I realise that six years is a long time in personal computing, but still, the Apple of old would have allowed for some functionality in this respect. In the end I managed to port everything with the aid of a flash drive and a bit of patience, and the new MacBook Air did do a lot of the work for me (iTunes seems to have become a lot more flexible when it comes to shifting playlists across, which is a huge relief and massive timesaver). Still, it felt marginally disappointing to have to resort to these methods. I'm not made of money, and I just don't have the cash to upgrade to a new Apple computer every couple of years - it's been a habit of mine to hang on to them for as long as is practical. They're generally excellent machines which withstand a lot of wear, so it is perfectly possible to do this if you don't want to have to worry about spending a cool £800-900 (minimum) on a regular basis. However, this is the first time I've been penalised for the age of my previous system during a port-across.

The next thing I noticed was that this particular MacBook has no option at all to line-in audio. Given that my previous MacBook had been capable of ripping vinyl to programs like Audacity - and had done a brilliant job of it despite the absence of the kind of peripherals you'd have to own if you were a PC user - this has proved a massive disappointment. I have a huge vinyl collection of records which are utterly unavailable in digital format, and this option was an important aspect of being a Mac user for me. The MacBook I owned was, despite its age, capable of producing superb reproductions of my singles and LP collection without any fuss, whereas this one doesn't bother to offer any line-in option at all. If a fantastic feature was so readily available in the past, why take it away now for the newer machines? Is the purpose of Apple not to constantly push forwards rather than slowly edge backwards?

In nearly twenty years this is the first Apple machine I've bought that feels like a slight disappointment. It has some admittedly wonderful elements, to the extent that I almost feel churlish complaining, but it also seems clear that Apple are resorting to the kinds of business practices you'd expect of bog-standard PC manufacturers these days. The next time I have to buy a machine, I may take one look at my bank balance, a far closer look at the machines on offer, and opt for a cheap and cheerful PC with peripherals attached. Apple really need to start being careful about taking options away from their users or penalising their poorer customers - a lot of us work in creative fields where scrimping and saving can be a part of life, and when we fork out high amounts of money for new systems, we don't expect any loss in functionality.

Oh, and yes - the machine does not come with a CD/ DVD drive either. Since it's just a notebook machine you shouldn't really expect this anyway, but it's worth highlighting this in case that detail slipped your attention.
on 8 March 2012
It might be expensive, but the Macbook Air is an amazing piece of kit. I bought one a month ago to replace my 2008 Macbook and Samsung NC10, with the intention of installing both Lion and Windows 7. After partitioning the 128GB SSD and installing both operating systems, with a shared 30GB FAT32 which is accessible from both, I am pleased to report that the 11" Air not surprisingly easily out-performs not just the laptops it replaced, but also my desktop PC in my home office.

On the OS X side I generally use it for software development using XCode, and in Windows I use it for C# .NET, some other dev tools, VMware vCenter and Handbrake. The i5 processor and SSD ensures that there's no peformance lags no matter what I'm doing (even in Windows), the touchpad is huge & so responsive and the keyboard allows me to type flat out with none of the usual frustration that comes from flexing keyboards and badly spaced keys.

I quickly added an Apple HDMI adapter and a cheap USB Ethernet adapter just in case - it might only have one USB on each side but my Samsung BD-ROM works fine without the second USB cable connected. After using a cheap case from PC World for a couple of weeks I have wrapped it in a fairly nice Casecrown faux leather folio-style case.

So why only 4 stars? Well, the battery life is nothing like the 5-6 hours I used to get from my NC10. I would also like an SD slot and also another USB port would be nice. All that said, the good comfortably outweighs the bad.

As for the iPad vs MBA debate, even though the form-factor is similar I have both and use both, often in different ways and often to do similar things. My iPad still gets loads of use every day - being able to hold it in one hand and operate it with the other makes the iPad much more convenient in many situations. The battery takes ages to run down and for things like TV Catchup and Sky Go, and even reading PDF reference books while using the MBA makes the iPad the perfect companion for my laptop.