on 12 May 2017
Most revolutionary book I have ever read - has helped me so much to live a more fulfilling life. Cannot recommend enough. So well written.
on 14 August 1999
This is one of the few books I would actually read over and over. It's incredibly down-to-earth and is full of great quotes you keep in mind all day long. It invites you to think about your perception of yourself and others in a very different light. There is so much common sense in the buddhist way of relating to each other, but we don't often use our common sense.
on 11 September 2014
Excellent book
on 21 October 2011
Incredible book. I physically feel the glow in my heart for prolonged periods from reading and practising the teachings. If the world read this it would be heaven on earth.
on 17 July 2009
I bought this book a few years ago, in "small hardback" form. It has become my companion wherever I go. It's somehow comforting to know that it's always close to me.

Whenever I'm feeling a little afraid, a little unsure or a little lost, I can always pick up and read this marvellous little book. I often open it randomly & just read what it opens to. It's full of lovingkindness, it makes you feel good about being human & good about life itself. It helps to make sense of this crazy mixed up thing that we call life.

IT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD TO READ THIS BOOK, I guess that's all that matters. Try it for yourself, you won't regret it.
on 15 March 2008
This may be personal to me, but I tend to fear that books on this topic will be a bit drippy, nebulously positive feelgood items. Happily, Sharon Salzberg is a true teacher in the Theravadan tradition and helps me move towards lovingkindness as i think it was meant. As she presents it, lovingkindness is clarity about the flaws in the world, ourselves, other people. Lovingkindness is a compassionate non-denial of what things are like. Oddly, lovingkindness turns out to be the antidote to fear. It opens us up to the world, rather than trying to drape existence in pink positive soft-focus light. Open, loving, fearless, accurate, non-narrow, non-petty; we've got a lot to thank the Buddha for, and this is a truly wonderful exposition by Sharon Salzberg. She provides great stories, deep understanding and, critically, the kind of precise, technical meditation tips that are the blessing of the Theravadan tradition. There are a lot of solid, traditional metta practices straight from the canon summarised in here. A book that I will be mining for years.
on 24 August 1998
Reading this book forces the reader to embark upon a journey of opening the mind, and the heart (if there is a real difference). A Journey that questions the conditioned states many of us have become used to as our reality. With a mastery of deep understanding and humility, Sharon Salzberg gives people one of the most important gifts in the world. It is something most of us just seek unconsciously. It is something that we don't usually remain aware of in our every day life, but we all would be willing to do anything to "get" it. It is happiness.
on 24 September 1997
While self-help books abound, promising deliverance from all that ails us, Sharon Salzberg's "Loving Kindness, refreshes. Her writings burn themselves clean...in that, one is not tangled up with an author presenting her version of a spiritual path, rather she is the path itself, unfolding for who ever wants to journey. From the opening lines in chapter one: "We can travel a long way and do many different things, but our deepest happiness is not born from accumulating new experiences. It is born from letting go of what is unnecessary and knowing ourselves to be always at home." to the last chapter, entitled, "Living Our Love", Ms. Salzberg writes with dignity and care about that which she deeply knows.
on 28 May 2013
I have recently been down to my local fwbo and enroled on 2 meditation courses and also an essential buddhism course and this book was recommended to me to help with the metta meditation and back up what was been taught to us, it has been a fantastic insight to the writers life and has helped me understand what loving kindness meditation is all about, it brings up a lot of personal dilemmas which we come across in everyday life and how she managed to overcome those issues.An inspiring read.
on 2 March 2012
I find the book truly wonderful. It's a great supplement to my daily lovingkindness meditations. It offers an honest and very profound study of the mind. It goes into detail about the traditional lovingkindness practice, how you can integrate it in daily life and what pitfalls you are likely to encounter once you start practicing lovingkindness. It is written in a very kind and non judgemental way. I would definitively recommend it to anyone interested in the subject.