Customer reviews

Dome City Blues
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.68

on 28 May 2017
Life under the Dome City is a gripping suspense and mystery thriller which is well worth your attention. I found this an enjoyable read, enjoying the twists and turns of plots and counter-plots. Jeff Edwards avoided the pitfalls of leaning too heavily on using sci-fi shenanigans to provide simplistic solutions to his challenging plot line. Instead he developed the storyline, inviting the reader to join the central character on his journey of discovery as he strives to solve the mystery. Gripping and a damn good read! Highly recommended.
***** Excellent *****
on 21 January 2014
This is the story of an ex private detective shaken out of retirement in a near future, post apocalyptic world to solve an unusual murder. Unusual because the alleged victim is a self confessed serial killer who is recorded committing suicide on video tape.

I enjoyed the book; the plot proceeds at a nice place and is an ideal airport read. I'm guessing the author was also heavily influenced by the cyberpunk novels of William Gibson; although not in the same league, it was well written enough to keep me engaged. I liked the combination of hard boiled noir elements rubbing up against future dystopia; It would seem seediness is fundamentally the same whatever the technology.

Although entertaining, it wasn't quite a five star read for me. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of certain characters and the plot could have done with a little more work to satisfyingly obfuscate things; the identity of the villains was evident quite a while before they were unmasked, mostly because there were no viable alternatives to muddy the waters. However, the as the author pointed out, this was an early work and it is still far better than most in this bracket.

Definitely worth 77p
One person found this helpful
on 13 October 2017
This is an excellent book, Gripping, original and highly inventive. As a first book it is even more impressive. I only gave it 4 stars because the villain of the piece was telegraphed a little too early (for me). I will buy anything this author publishes from now on.
on 30 June 2016
I enjoyed this book sufficiently to finish it. The writing is not fantastic but not bad. Cons? It is a compilation of other books, films, people's ideas. There is the odd bit of originality but most of it I'd read before. You know the score. Typical film noir stuff - Damsel in distress visits and needs help. Reluctant (jaded) hero agrees. Baddy turns out to be........ You know how it goes.

Summary? A light read - suitable for a flight, holiday etc.
on 11 September 2017
I didn't read the blurb just liked the title and being a massive fan of sci fi got it on a whim!
Could not put it down! The whole world and characters reminded me a lot of Michael Marshall Smith. Spares being one of my favourite books.
It's not often a book engages me to the point where ignoring the kids, wife and work seems appropriate if i get to see what happens next!
Also never written a review before i just hope it encourages people to give it a read!
Will definitely recommend to anyone that asks!

Andy F
|0Comment|Report abuse
If you are going to write Sci Fi........this is how to do it. No straying off into realms of fantasy. Everything described seemed remotely possible in the future. Loved it.
on 7 May 2017
It is unusual when I look back after a longish time and still find myself with the same feelings for a book.

Write more of these, please.
on 3 February 2018
Good read this. Good action and sci-fi with good characters. A bit Blade Runner like but very good. Will read the next book.
on 27 June 2016
This story of a jaded slider turned private eye turned sculptor is clearly influenced by William Gibson but is a fairly coherent story set in the dystopian remains of Los Angeles. I found it to be a compelling read with some interesting scenarios and a surprising twist.
Definitely worth a read. :-)
on 21 March 2017