on 29 April 2014
THIS WORK'S BOTH WITH OR WITH-OUT WI-FI, INSTILLATION IS EASY, JUST LOAD THE DISK, THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE CLEAR ALSO. SECONDLY THE COLOUR IS BLACK, YOU CAN LOAD SD OR mSPRO CARD TO MOVE PHOTO'S TO YOUR LAPTOP OR COMPUTER, TRANSFER FROM ANOTHER DEVICE TO PRINT, THE INSTILLATION INCLUDE'S EPSON PHOTO SUITE ALSO. THE SCANNER WORK'S BRIILLANTLY, TO SCAN DOCUMENT'S EVEN FROM RECEIVED EMAIL TO YOUR DEVICE THEN CAN THEN BE SCANNED AND PRINTED BACK ONTO A4 PAPER. THE PRINTER ALSO WORKS WELL WITH EITHER REASONABLY PRICED PLAIN A4 PAPER, OR MORE EXPENSIVE A4 PAPER, THE CHOICE IS YOUR'S. AT THE BACK THE PAPER CAN BE ADJUSTED, GREY SLIDER IN PLACE, PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN USING THIS (BE GENTLE). LOADING OF INK'S THE SCREEN GIVE'S YOU INSTRUCTION'S AT THE FRONT OF THE PICTURE, WHEN THE TOP IS OPEN THE INK CARTRIDGES WILL MOVE FROM RIGHT TO LEFT, THEN BACK TO APPROX FAR RIGHT, WAIT FOR THIS TO STOP THEN SLOWLY REMOVE OR LOAD EACH INK CAREFULLY, TO NOTE THE INK'S ARE SEPERATE COLOURS, YOU CAN USE YOUR PRINTER TO EITHER WORK ON BLACK AND WHITE PRINTING ONLY, OR USE COLOUR, INK LEVEL'S WILL SHOW ON YOUR LAPTOP OR COMPUTER WHEN IN USE, ADJUSTMENTS CAN BE MADE VIA THE FRONT OF THE SCREEN ON THE PRINTER, THIS IS AN EASY PRINTER TO USE INSTRUCTIONS ARE EXCELLENT, INK CAN BE PURCHASED FROM MANY SUPPLIERS, JUST TO NOTE IF INK EVER JAMS REMOVE INK CAREFULLY COVER THE CIRCLE ON THE INK WITH A PAPER TOWEL AND GENTLY SHAKE THE CARTRIDGE, THEN PLACE BACK IN MACHINE, THIS MAY HAPPEN WHEN INK CARTRIDGE IS REALLY REALLY LOW!!, THE FLAP AT THE BACK OF THE PRINTER BLACK (SEETHROUGH) DUST FLAP) ALWAY'S BE GENTLE WITH THIS - OVERALL THE BEST PRINTER FOR MY PURPOSE'S IN WHICH I HAVE BOUGHT, SO WOULD RECOMMEND WHETHER HOME OFFICE, OR STUDENT, a+++++.
on 26 August 2012
We got this to print straight from our iPads and we're not disappointed. The downside is the windows software and I spent an hour trying to load the software so I could configure the network. After giving up I realised I could do it on the printers small screen and after 2mins, yes just 2 mins to enter the router password I was up and running. We can select print when viewing a photo on an iPad or iPhone and it prints - no bother. It seems a little slow when printing photos but we're not worried about that. A4 docs come off really quick. You don't need to run the Epson app, you can select print from wherever you are. The app has some extra features so you can print multiple photos or change paper size. It also has a useful bar graph showing the ink levels. We also wanted a printer which wasn't an eyesore. Many of the other choices are just ugly. The Epson is quite stylish and dosen't make our house look like an office. Despite the poor Windows software I still gave this 5 stars for the almost zero configuration printing from iPad.
on 28 August 2012
This is an ok piece of kit for the home....reasonably priced, with reasonably priced replacement cartridges as compared to HP say, and wireless printing and scanning (can scan wirelessly direct from printer to computer/laptop), as well as email print (the printer gets assigned an email address to which you can send photos/docs etc to from wherever you are in the world and which will print out at the printer end immediately/next time it's switched on) - which can be very handy, for example, when sending surprise letters/photos home from abroad!!
However it does have some drawbacks:
1) If you are running Windows XP, then everytime the wifi router is switched off OR the printer is switched off from the MAINS (not its own switch), the printer changes its IP address by the looks of it. So everytime this happens one has to delete the original printer port (under Settings/Printers & Faxes/(Your Printer)/Printer Properties/Ports) on the computer and then reinstall it after the wifi router/printer has been switched on again from the mains (and you have waited for 5mins for the printer to pick up the wi-fi signal).
2) When printing documents with colour text and pictures the setting 'Documents & Images' under 'Printing Preferences' in not enough for a good quality colour print - you have to switch your printing preferences to 'Photograph' to get even a decent quality colour text document print. This of course takes longer to print and takes more ink.
With computers that have Windows Vista or Windows 7 installed I have heard that these problems may not occur but don't know if that is true. Also, these problems are not encountered when re-connecting to the Apple Ipad after switch off/switch on - works seamlessly with the Ipad.
However, all in all it is not a bad piece of kit for home printing and the quality is good enough for the price. The HP Officejet series (also ink jet printers) are better than this in terms of print quality, and especially photo print quality which is excellent, but with a correspondingly higher price for both the printer and replacement colour cartridges.

All-in-all not a bad piece of kit for everyday document printing, but for someone who wants high quality every time then I suggest this is not the one for you.
on 21 September 2012
We bought this as a replacement for a much more expensive Lexmark printer which we returned due to connectivity issues (it wouldn't). This Epson is great! connected instantly to our home wifi (standard Sky router), instantly accepted prints from iphone, ipad, and imac. We couldnt get it to connect to my partners work laptop but this turned out to be an issue with the company security settings not the printer, to get around this she uses the email print function, just email your docs to the printer and hey presto out they come, soo easy to set up (online epson account needed but this is free to do).

Scanning/copying also easy to do, one complaint would be the advertised print speed, black or white or colour prints (text only) we're only getting ~3pages/minute which can be frustrating, not checked but this maybe an issue with wireless printing and wired speeds might be better.

Finally it is a smart looking home printer that's one of the smallest "all in one" units around we would definatley reccomend (definatly buy spare ink at the same time, it ships with sample cartridges only which didnt last long)
on 2 January 2013
Before buying this printed I carefully checked that it would be compatible with Windows ME. Unfortunately, I was not able to install it when it first arrived due to a personal tragedy so, when I finally did try to install it, I was very annoyed to find out that it is not in fact compatible. The driver needed is not available. I purchased this for a stand alone PC which is not connected to the internet and am unable to get any assistance in this regard. I received no reply to correspondence with Epson, and they only have a premium rate telephone contact number. It is now too late to return the printer so I am stuck with it, even though I can't use it, and I cannot afford to purchase another printer so I can't print anything. I am bitterly disappointed and can only use this as a very expensive photocopier that doesn't even pull through the paper nine times out of ten. I wish I had never bought it. In future I shall stick with Hewlett Packard, they have never let me down.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 January 2013
when choosing a printer you have to take into consideration the running costs as well as the print quality, well the epson sx445w has it all. i bought this printer to replace my canon mp130 which died after 4 years which had probably the cheapest cartridges on the market {60p for the set}, on the epson sx445w the compatible ink cartridges cost around £2.50 for the set of 4 which is a bargain considering they are the chipped type. i have set up mine on wireless {2.4 ghz only} which is made easy by the setup screen on the printer, print quality is excellent and the speed of printing is the same as most inkjet printers slow on photographs in high quality but it prints standard black print documents in a few seconds. the most impressive thing on this printer is the air print which prints straight from your mobile phone, you need to install 2 apps: the first one is the epson printer finder app and the second one is the epson iprint app, both apps work flawlessly for android and iphone and you can actually make printer adjustments using the apps. the sx range of printers has now been super-seeded by the xp range but the xp range cost a lot more to run in ink.
on 7 May 2012
Bought this in December 2011 as a christmas present for the wife. She has been using it intermittentantly for the last 6-months, mainly for printing photos, and she is happy with the results. Spent a while researching before purchasing. The spec seemed best for us for the budget, so we took a chance as the reviews we had read were mixed - but happy we did as we have been happy so far.

Note that Epsom ink cartridges are expensive. We have been using alternatives bought from amazon at a fraction of the price with no noticeable differences in the results.
on 11 March 2016
This printer is absolutely brilliant. It can scan, copy and prints very well. It has a really sleek design and the screen on the front is very helpful when you need to do something quickly and don't have your computer handy. Since it connects to the wifi, you can print from anywhere in the house and you can also print from your phone. The ink for this printer is still available quite a few years on and i would recommend it to anyone!
on 7 May 2012
I just wanted a cheap printer with wi-fi that would not get in the way but still have all the functions my other printer has. Besides my other printer had run out of ink & for the price on new cartridges I bought this. Its nothing special, small (which is great), the front panel is full of information which can pop out to see the function buttons easier. Easy touch buttons, lights up as you make your selections, is useful for printing photos with a built in sd card slot(have not printed any pics as yet). Documents are done quickly, scanning & copying are quite easy to use. sadly this does not have a fax on it unlike my main printer. All round not a complicated machine to use, just plug & play, picks up the wifi very easily. Overall quite pleased with this as a second printer & its compact size.
on 26 September 2013
Purchased this specifically for its compact footprint but just because its a small unit doesn't mean it lacks features.
As with most Epson's the print quality is superb especially photo reproduction - with the right media the results are better than that from an actual photo developer.
The A4 scanner again is excellent with vivid and accurate colour reproduction.
Mine is connected via wifi for printing from multiple computers and Android devices all of which work flawlessly.
But this device works equally as well as a standalone printer, scanner and copier receiving and saving on a USB memory stick.