on 14 February 2014
This is a fascinating volume of well known and some less well known historical spots of our capital city and it's environs! If you have any interest in history then you should read this book! It is fabulous!
on 1 November 2011
Well researched, and an easy read. The author obviously knows his subject.

But, the author obviously didn't bother with a proof reader, as it is liberally included with typo's and glaring errors, such as bearly when barely was the right choice of word, and that is not the only one. Silly really, spoiling what is an excellent read but finding oneself looking for the errors.

Having not seen or read the paper version I cannot comment on it but, this is the first Kindle transfer I've seen where the layout is as disjointed as it is here with such huge paragraph breaks and chapter titles often at the bottom of a page rather than the top. But maybe that's how the paper version is.

Still, having ranted, it is a good read and looking forward to book two, which I have but haven't started yet.
on 14 February 2013
This book is quite interesting, but it would be far better if it was condensed, some of the stories have been repeated practially word for word; when streets have a common link, and this can be tedious.
At times I felt that I knew some of the stories, Then I figured out the reason why!
For me, this issue lets down what could be a really good book.
A long book, doesn't necessarily mean a better book.
on 25 June 2014
Interesting but some of the facts are a bit obvious & probably easily found using Google. There are some obscure facts to balance it though. Overall I liked it.
on 23 March 2012
This book was absolutely fascinating - I learned so much about London that I did not know. Would be a great read for tourists coming to London in the Olympics. I thoroughly recommend it.
on 26 November 2012
As a frequent leisure visitor to London this book as a fascinating read. Little bit of history on the streets, little stories told with characters to bring them to life. Bought the second book too.
More excellent reading.
So much so that my best friend and I are planning a weekend in London in the spring to go and hunt down some of these lesser known parts of London that are still in the City and will be doing a photo story based on the books.
Rather than just use the normal tourist routes, I would highly recommend that you read this book, plan a route and go off to explore London away from the normal packed places.
Looking forward to spring. Can't wait.
on 2 February 2013
The book is an easy read but littered with unnecessary errors that after a while become very irritating. If the author did actually use a proof reader I suggest he ask for his fee to be returned! Pity, because overall the book is interesting, though some of the stories seem to be a figment of his imagination and simply used as a vehicle to introduce the street in question. If it wasn't for the errors I would have marked the book as a Four Star, for it does have some really good parts.
on 18 April 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book & it has opened my eyes to the history behind the numerous streets I walk along every day. The author keeps you guessing who the mysterious figure is that is involved in each story before delivering a famous name you have heard of but never known why.
on 9 October 2012
This book revived a lot of memories for me as i used to work in the city back in 1960,
the streets covered by the book were all within walking distance of my place of work.

However there was a lot i didnt know so it was a very intresting read.
on 8 November 2012
Very interesting. Once started had trouble putting down. Looking forward to reading next one. Always been interested in London as worked all over London for many years. Would recommend.