on 19 September 2015
I stuck with it, several times wondering why, but that's why I awarded two stars as there was obviously something that kept me going. But, with some tighter writing and some different casting, this could have been a really good film. There was no chemistry between the two leads, sorry but Colin Firth played the same character as in Love Actually (the writer who falls in love with his Portuguese housekeeper), some of the acting was very stilted, there were too many cliches and the rather thin plot jumped around. With fewer characters, more understanding of the relationships and the culture, the film may have worked for me. I like to care about the characters in a film or a book, and really couldn't with any of them here. Colin Firth is such a great actor, why did he choose this?! It is colourful to watch though, lovely costumes and scenes, obviously no violence, shoot-outs, car crashes etc - that's one of my stars - plus you do get to watch Mr Firth trying to act with this light script and plot - and that's my second star!
on 9 July 2014
Even though it was not the best story, I really liked this film. I would have wanted more background of this exile Nigerian community in southern France, I found that fascinating. The characters were a bit complex and the relationships lacked depth, however I was totally swept away by the most captivating colourful surroundings and fabrics. It's a treat for the eye. Nia Long was stunning as well.
8 people found this helpful
on 18 August 2013
The story was an adult romance. We did not have to watch them having sex, or eating each others face off!!!
The acting was great (usually English movies have better actors then the U.S. A.)
16 people found this helpful
on 14 March 2016
Bought this because of rave reviews but was disappointed. Colin Firth is always good and yes, the photography is beautiful and yes, there are some interesting insights into cultural differences - but I still felt it lacked something.
on 27 May 2016
Colin firth is one of my favourite actors and this romance does not disappoint. I would have liked more conversation between the main characters , but found the film beautifully photographed. Colin Firth as beautiful as ever.
on 24 December 2014
I loved this movie. I played it twice the same day that I received it. The scenery is beautiful. The acting is great, and the chemistry between the main characters is excellent; and little Sammy is adorable. I highly recommend it.
4 people found this helpful
on 23 August 2013
i'ts very funny and it's good family viewing and it was enjoyable to watch and t the clothes of Nia Long and her family were beautiful to see Elizabeth
6 people found this helpful
on 14 February 2015
Very happy and will highly recommended to friends and family.
Brilliant service!
One person found this helpful
on 8 June 2014
easy to watch & a good story line enough to keep you watching to the end of movie & its happy conclustion
6 people found this helpful
on 5 November 2013
I like Colin Firth he is a good actor and one of my favourites. The dvd was really good and I enjoyed it very much
2 people found this helpful