on 21 April 2014
I was disappointed in this one. As a student of psychotherapy, I felt this book missed out on the most important debate of the 21st Century within mental health. I lost respect for Maroda when she flimsily claimed "research suggests" or "increasing evidence shows" about genetics causing BPD. Misleading words like these are unfortunate. If Maroda is in possession of a piece of research which shows a statistically significant cause-effect relationship between brain/genetics and behaviour, the ever elusive holy grail of psychiatry, she would have won a Nobel Peace Prize. To use words like "appears to be different" and "is associated with" and then draw a causal analysis is just wrong. Literally everything in this world is "associated" with something else, quantified by a matter of degree. The research she cited means absolutely nothing in terms of what causes human behaviour, but she presents it as such; this shows how detached Maroda is from even the basic divisions between statistically significant and statistically insignificant research findings; and more ethically, it is also dismissive of the more serious, wider implications of the harm in pathologising human behaviour. Had I written this book, I certainly would not suggest research, I would only construct my work around reliable research that is based on empirical evidence. But I am a qualified research psychologist, and I know better. It is sadly authors such as Maroda who pass the baton of medical models of mental health forward, causing much confusion to the truth about mental health issues in this postmodern era. To that end, this will be an area of her work that I shall disregard as I cannot use this productively, as Maroda invites her readers to do with her material should they find they cannot use it.
on 29 November 2010
This is a very interesting and readable book on what could have been a difficult subject. It is clearly written with many examples from her work. The main thrust of her argument for successful therapy is to concentrate on, and encourage the expression of emotion, and to be free enough to be responsibly spontaneous. There is a good chapter on the difficulty of treating borderline personality disorder. There is also a chapter on self-disclosure, which used to be a definate 'no' for psychodynamic work! You could actually sum the book up as a humane person-centred approach to psychodynamic work! It would give anyone, from student to practitioner, lots of ideas and stimulating challenges for their work. I highly recommend it.
on 4 September 2014
Excellent book for those starting out. Particularly encouraging and helpful for integrative therapists and counsellors as Maroda emphasises the relational aspect of psychodynamic techniques and I have found it really useful in my practice. She writes so clearly and with a real understanding of what it is to be a therapist struggling with one's own emotions.
on 17 May 2010
Karen Maroda's book on countertransference is one of my favourite books and I always recommend it highly to other psychologists and psychotherapists. This latest publication of Maroda's is another book worth having in your library - she writes with such honesty and insight. I still prefer her book on countertransference - maybe the freshness of her insights and the passion of her beliefs were stronger in that book - this book feels less raw and had less impact on me - but still well worth reading and returning to when mulling over how we work with our clients. Well worth buying.
on 31 August 2013
Really good for those starting or well qualified as a counsellor. Has stack loads of case studies which make it seem really easy to read and understand. Better than a lot of academic books
on 7 December 2015
Very clearly written and accessible.
on 10 October 2014