TOP 50 REVIEWERon 10 June 2017
This is Book 1 of a 3-book series ‘starring’ Jack Reacher.

The author (Lee Child) tells the story of a time in Jack’s teenage years as the younger son of Stan, a US Marine on (yet another) posting with his family. This time it’s to a military base on Okinawa in the Pacific.

Reacher’s French grandfather is dying in Paris and, as mum Josie leaves to be at her father’s side, she asks Reacher to take care of his father and older brother.
Joe and Jack have a school initial grading exam to take, but there is a problem with missing exam answers and their father has a problem with a missing code file.
on 1 June 2017
Of the 5 novellas about Jack Reacher, I liked this one the best.
It was good to find out how his early life had moulded his character and his methods of dealing with the situations he came across in early life (many of which are ridiculously unbelievable). The author now needs to inject some normal real life experiences into Reacher's world. Like a dodgy marriage or a love-child or family a member he knew nothing about. These could be built into the extraordinary Reacher situations.
on 1 May 2017
Not one of his best short stories! Without giving away too much of the plot I found it all it bit far fetched that a thirteen year old (albeit Jack Reacher) could the solve riddle of the missing folders with such flimsy evidence. A good fun read though that kept me occupied sat in the car waiting whilst my wife shopped in NEXT.
on 24 June 2017
A superb novella from the talented lee child a very young Jack reacher and his big brother Joe settle on a new marine post the local bully meets his match in reacher good storyline interesting characters highly recommend both book and author.kev dilks.
on 25 June 2012
Second Son is a very short story about Lee Child's character Jack Reacher when he was thirteen years old. The writing style differs little from that of his usual novels though the e-book medium and young protagonist give it the feel of reading a 'Young Adult' novel.

The plot concerns a single incident in Reacher's childhood while living with his family in Japan. As a story, it is likely of little interest to anyone but a fan of the series, and I wonder whether it might have been published to test the water and see if there might be a market for 'Young Reacher' novels.

I enjoyed it, despite it only being a thirty minute read, and would be happy to read more about the character's childhood.
on 25 August 2017
Such a pity that Lee Child was willing to release this to the world. This prequel is implausible in the extreme. It allows Reacher thoughts which even a highly developed 13-year-old simply would not have. There is even a rather silly token love interest. The formula which works so well in the novels fails here.
on 15 September 2017
It is a short book, but still it is Reacher. A good Reacher. A bit too short for this price, and one twist of action weird but I if you want to get a bit more of Jack then go for it.
on 25 July 2014
It was alright. The first I've read from this author, the short story held my attention, but to be honest it may have initially held my attention, now a few weeks on, I can't write here that I remember any specific detail. Not sure what that suggests, but I do no I'm hardly driven to read more. SorrY I can't be more positive.
on 22 August 2017
My favourite author. I have read all his books at least twice. If he wrote a book a day I would read a book a day!
on 18 July 2017
haven't got bored of any of the Jack Reacher novels ! will happily sit and read another 10. would love to see his story come to an end at the same time though!