on 21 October 2017
Started using this today as soon as it was delivered. Still practising and have a LONG way to go but couldn't help but notice how quickly the tip started fraying. Looked online for advice and it's recommended to use soft paper
Therfore have been using my Rhodia which I believe to be excellent quality and not at all harsh/course. Still hasn't stopped pen from fraying. Quite disappointed as the reviews seemed promising (ignored many of the 1/2 star reviews as they're quite unfair - pens not arriving etc). Still have this 4 stars as it is quite pigmented and flows nicely. I've ordered the pack of 10 from the States so maybe they'll perform better?
review image
4 people found this helpful
on 25 January 2014
This pen can be used either before or after laying down the colour. It acts like watercolour in that it can push colour away and lift colour out rather than blending it to a fade, so I would advise practising first before using it on your masterpiece. It is very saturating, and can cause bleeding over the lines you have drawn, so I would also advise caution if you are going right up to the edges of a line. A good quality thick watercolour paper seems to work better and avoids pilling.
15 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 4 January 2015
The brush tip frays very easily and doesn't stay sharp for very long. For the while that the brush tip does stay sharp and pointed the pen is reasonably comfortable and easy to control.
15 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 March 2017
I really like this pen for line work. The double ended design is a bonus and makes it more flexible. It's worth noting that the ink isn't waterproof so if you're using it for mixed media, to create lines in watercolor etc, you need to use it last once everything is dry otherwise is does bleed everywhere.
3 people found this helpful
on 27 February 2015
I was looking for a pen to use for live caricature work at parties and events (Beefy's Caricatures).

The pen is comfortable to use and you can get some lovely variations of weight to your line work, but I found the brush a bit to flexible. I had to really lightly sweep the paper which I didn't like (I prefer a firm nib) and the ink dried out pretty quick. I still have a couple in my bag for emergencies, but not my fave pen.
7 people found this helpful
on 26 January 2018
Great quality large brush pen, with the bonus of a fine point at the other end. I haven't really got the hang of using the looooonnnggg handle - but have found useful tutorials online to help me with this. I used it to letter all my daughter's wedding place cards and was really pleased with the results.
on 25 March 2018
Perfect colour for a desert camouflaged tiger. Used alongside Sakura glaze and Koi pens to achieve a perfect effect and colour almost impossible to find in a reasonably priced quality pen like this. The Tombow pens come in a huge range of colours that I have not seen anywhere else, will buy more.
on 2 February 2017
After hearing many many good reviews/feedback on this pen I decided to purchase it. Pens, especially brush pens, are all about personal preference. After using this and the Pentel brush pen I realised that for me, I much prefer using an actual brush pen that has bristles rather than a felt tip pen. If you like felt tip pens, you'll like this. But for me, I much prefer the Pentel. The pentel's ink is also much more black, which I prefer
on 9 November 2016
I'm just starting out with typography and trying find pens I like so I thought the reviews made this sound like a good starting pen. But, sadly it just feels like a really cheap felt tip to me. I'd rather have spent more and got a better quality pen.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 January 2017
This brush pen helps you to make lovely modern-style calligraphy. The 'lamp black' colour is a very deep grey, almost black, rather nice. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is that the brush tips are quite large - you can't do letters shorter than an inch easily!