Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 October 2011
I think I have all of Anna's CD'S and many DVD's and I was really looking forward to this release having pre-ordered it with Amazon some weeks ago.

Firstly let me say that there is nothing wrong with Anna's singing, it is superb as ever. The problem for me is with DG's engineering. First thing I noticed was I had to turn the volume up considerably higher than I would normally have it set. OK so it is a live recording but I have many live recordings that don't need cranking up like this one.

Track one made me wonder if my speakers had been rewired out of phase, there is something just not quite right and I cannot put my finger on it. The recording seems 'thin' and does not do justice to Anna's voice.
It is like listening to an MP3 as apposed to a CD.

If you are a fan then do not let my review put you off buying this as I am sure you will enjoy it, after all it may sound fine on your setup. It gives me no pleasure to only give this 3 stars but I have to be honest and not just 'gush' because it is Anna as I am sure many fans will do without even taking the cellophane off.
11 Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 October 2013
I bought this CD because I was interested in the live performances of Netrebko (since I think that she is an exceptional actress and singer). It was a pleasant surprise! A nice variety of scenes and arias from Netrebko's entire repertoire (Bellini, Donizzeti, Verdi, Puccini, Gounod, Offenbach, Prokofiev and even Mozart), everything performed beautifully. My favourite tracks are from Romeo and Juliet (co-starring Roberto Alagna), Les Contes d'Hoffmann (opposite to the magnificent tenor Joseph Calleja), La Boheme (with the emotional Piotr Beczala) and Rigoletto. Plus props to the amazing booklet (with colored photos, reviews and libretto). In general, I think that this CD is an essential to every opera fan!
on 15 July 2014
If you love Netrebko, this recording should not be missing in your collection. She's a strong favourite at the Met, and this collection of arias and scenes makes it clear what that is so.

My personal favourites are the scene from Romeo & Juliette (why has the performance in full not been released yet on DVD, it is wonderful!) and the scene from Les Contes d'Hoffman (ignore the tenor and his constant wobble!).

She sounds to die for and always makes the character she plays seem real; she will be remembered as one of the great sopranos of her generation. Yes, the tracks are captured from live performances, so there is a certain measure of noise and audience participation, but don't let that put you off, the sound is good throughout.
on 31 March 2014
I have a number of her CDs as I think her voice is wonderful. I do not pretend to be a music buff, but the choice of music for this CD does not disappoint. One of her best.
on 28 October 2011
I was concerned that this would simply be a greatest arias collection, but its not. The selections seem to be from the heart and are wonderfully recorded, especially in light of the fact that this is a live album.
on 11 February 2017
Of truth that not is that tell about this recording, except that I seems something as well as, a pachanguita football among friends. And without detracting from, I will say that this is only for devotees of Anna Netrebko
on 5 January 2012
This CD is becoming one of my favorites. Anna Netrebko really shines in some very memorable arias from the Metropolitan Opera, surrounded by great stars.
on 31 October 2013
Loved it - love Anna's voice - beautiful I can listen to her 24 hours a day. I drift to another world when I listen to her
on 10 December 2016
nice cd!
on 23 October 2011
I would like to say that this cd is amazing. Anna Netrebko is the best soprano ever. No more words.