on 26 February 2016
This has to be the worst book I have ever attempted to read, so much so that I felt I had to post a review to warn off the unwary. As others have said, the author writes as though she is about 12 years old. No, sorry, I have read things by 12 year olds that have been better written. The characters are completely flat, there is no attempt to create any kind of world or universe, the author has begged, borrowed or stolen every fantasy trope and cliché she could find. Heroic dragons, dastardly evil emperor, jovial dwarves, elves, orcs .... they are all bundled into this lot of rubbish. Words fail me. I looked at the reviews and at first could not believe the number of positives. Then I read some of them and they are as badly written as the book. They are also very similar, and the poor grammar is similar. Hmmm. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Caveat emptor ..... do not waste your time or money on these books
on 21 February 2013
i have reviewed both other books and can't say much more than i have on them. just to say, try them. you can't loose, great price and a set that keep you wanting more. she is a brilliant writer and kept me as enthralled as David Eddings does. that is a complement as i think Eddings is a god in the author world, apart from Terry Pratchett.
on 23 October 2014
I love stories about dragons and the world created in this novel is intriguing and exciting. The combination of old-world magic and mythical adventures quickly draws you in to the thoughts, hopes, and fears of the characters. I liked the level of detail used to build the mythology and the history of this world, little nuggets of information dropped as the story unfolded, hinting at bigger adventures to come and a history and a past that informed the actions and ambitions of the people of this world. At times you need to read this story with concentration to keep track of the various characters but it is well worth the effort.
on 8 March 2012
I like the storyline of this book and can identify with the characters, however the writing style is stilted and could be so much better. When I finished reading it I pondered whether to buy the second book in the series and decided not to.
on 23 April 2012
I found this book fast moving,interesting, and couldn't wait to read book two.The characters were well defined, making it easy to emphasise with them. For lovers of Fantasy books I would highly recommend it.
on 13 December 2012
A simple story which works quite well. This book is for those who appreciate short books and aventure. I read only the 1st book but I plan to read the next for sure. It all depends whether you are fan of fatasy book or not. For those who are, go for it!
on 9 August 2013
It's very similar to the Inheritance Cycle but still enjoyable. The book was a bit too short for my liking. I don't think I'll read the other books in this series...
on 11 September 2015
This book reads like it was written by a child, not an author. The writing style is very simplistic and my brain kept wanting to add in bits of information where it was lacking- that was, pretty much, everywhere. Though the characters were nicely fleshed out and the setting of this story intricately created, the childish writing style, the lack of description- they made it difficult to enjoy this very short book. I most likely won't be reading any more of this series.
on 12 September 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book, it hooked me right from the beginning, its got a good pace and its not too predicable.

The big problem is that it is very short. I read it in a day and just couldn't believe I had reached the end of the book, I thought my Kindle just wouldn't load the next page.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 April 2015
Set in a world where a corrupt and unjust emperor seeks to monopolise magic for his own personal gain, Elias, by chance finds a dragon stone and brings the emperor’s soldiers to his front door. While Elias is chasing his destiny, the tyrannical Emperor Vosper is trying to change it.

The relationship between humans and dragons is interesting. Quite a few books simply say “Dragons are baddies” or “Dragons are goodies”, where Alva has blurred the line in the sand. In the prologue, how the cunning dragon hunters slaughtered and plundered, I found that chapter very cruel and made me draw comparisons on how we live with or exploit animals. As you progress, this contrast of relationship and treatment will change and make think.

Elias, the protagonist, first appears as a fairly standard stock character but this changes as the book progresses. This profession is slow but the story keeps you hooked, so putting this book down is not an option. Likeable and relatable, in someways, Elias is simple. By this, he is simply good and does what he can to support his grandmother, even if it means making a ‘greedy’ or ‘risky’ decision.

Whether you believe your fate is set in stone or up to you, it is interesting to watch Emperor Vosper try to fight a prophecy. A man who kills his own father to become emperor, is someone you want to pay attention to. An equally cruel and effective baddie which you won’t catch foolishly monologuing to the hero, Vosper keeps control of his empire with the sort of cunning which Little Finger would admire.

I would recommend Dragon Stones. Though the novel, at times, can progress rather slowly but as a whole, it is a solid first novel and I look forward to see where the series goes from here.