Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

1,694
Ready Player One
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 7 December 2017
5 blazing stars of Epic nostalgic 80's fun!!

Easily the most fun book I've ever read! Über-Retro and made me nostalgic for an era I can barely call my own - if that's possible... I do love gaming, but only really began my gaming "lifestyle" in 1992.

I loved the movie (War Games & Blade Runner especially) & music references from the 80's and of course know of most of the games that feature, I can't wait for the Movie to come out next year and see what Spielberg has done with this joyful blast of a read.
on 24 November 2017
Great story. Little bit 'coming of age' but not moralistic. A bit cartoony at times but oh the best bit is the immense amount of knowledge and observation incorporated in this story. Imagine the best bits of all the sci-fi you have ever seen woven into a moving picture. You will constantly pause and say ..ha ha I remember that!....This book is slightly too fast to be corny. Its brilliant.
on 15 November 2017
This book is a basic story that is good in the delivery but that's not the real charm. The real charm is that it is a mind blowing nostalgia trip back to the 80s. If you were one of the geeks of the 80s, this is for you. Now that being a geek is trendy, everyone seems to be claiming it for themselves but the originals that knew Alan Moore before the films will have the chance to say revel in the past while the new pretenders will not get half the references.

For those that are new age geeks who do not get the references, tough.
on 27 April 2017
Greatly enjoyed this book. A refreshing take on the genre that mixes fabulous pop culture references to geeky computer games nostalgia and a wonderful virtual environment to set it all in.

You might not remember all the old computers, the historic games, or the old movies / music (although it adds to the enjoyment if you do) but this will not take away from the delight of the story itself.
on 27 November 2017
A better story than writing, full of nostalgia and pop culture for us nerds. The Ernest Cline does a great job of bringing some of the inner machinations of gaming to the surface, whilst trying to build an interesting dystopian backdrop, even if the characters felt slightly underdeveloped.
While i found the overall style abit too descriptive and reliant on name-droppery i did enjoy the book, cant wait to see the movie, assuming the licensing issues don't destroy it.

Its an easy read and a great starter for those, like me trying to get into reading more but need something to keep their attention.
on 24 July 2017
It doesn't get much better than this.... I loved the 80s references, I loved the VR concept, I loved the descriptions and the fast pace. I cannot believe all of this came from the head of one man! One of the best books I have ever read.
on 10 November 2017
After only one sitting, I can confidently tell you that if you like science fiction, movies and video games, you will definitely love this book (regardless of your age - so don't let the 80s theme be something that hinders you from picking this book up). There have been days where I literally could not put this book down.

What I consider the best science fiction book of all time, is truly an amazing novel where Ernest Cline has fully imagined a virtual world into a worldwide phenomenon, both for the fictional world in 2045 and for the real world.
on 2 April 2017
Stupendous, the suspense and stress was so much I had to remind myself to breath. Rarely do you find a story that can hook you so badly as this did for me, i heartily recommend it as a captivating and exciting read. 11/10
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 18 March 2017
Loved this book and found it hard to put down, the 80's nostalgia came flooding back as Cline describes in detail so many things that I was fascinated with during the 80's growing up as a child.

I'll probably return to read this again!
on 7 June 2017
Never heard of this author just went based on reviews, if you grew up in 80's and love video games this is great read. I'd put this up with top 3 I've read just couldn't put it down, and felt disappointed when it ended as I could of kept on reading!