Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 31 January 2012
This book is written by two people who really seem to know their subject. They provide what seems to me to be a really well argued and informed thesis for why we should adopt a low-carb lifestyle. I had to go over some of the technical bits more than once but in general the book is a good read, I finished it in three sessions. I also found it very useful in taking me on from where Gary Taubes' 'Diet Delusion' ('Good Calories, Bad Calories' in the US) and 'Why we get fat' left off. After reading these three books I feel that I understand very clearly the politics of food and the mechanisms of good diet (not 'diet' as in 'dieting' but diet as in what you eat), how to eat well and how to keep my weight down. This book advocates a diet with more fat and higher salt levels than other authors (such as the otherwise excellent John Briffa) and has shown me where I can improve my regime and overcome one or two minor niggles which I do not remember taking in before. It really is a different perspective to what we have been brought up with for the past 30 - 40 years and as the authors note; if you are not prepared for that mind shift you won't get the most from it!

The book is reasonably priced as a Kindle book but for some reason seems to be very expensive as a paper book - don't understand that but I am happy with the Kindle option myself.

I have lost > 50lbs (5 trouser sizes!) in approx 18 months on a low carb diet, my numerous allergies have dissapeared along with my waist and I genuinely feel healthier than I have for years.
1010 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2013
I've read just about every diet book on the market over the last 20 years looking for "the answer," the understanding that finally helps me shed my excess 6 stones (84 lbs!). I've even read and tried, but only with partial success, the original Atkins diet book. But nothing ever really stuck with me for more than a few weeks before I was back-sliding and looking for something else. This book changed everything. It filled in my understanding of low-carb dieting and put both the research basis and practicalities in place to make cutting carbs really work for me. As I have a scientific background (physics), I find it very hard to take seriously the low fat diet hypothesis (no evidence) and I cringe when someone says something about calories in/calories out, but this is a book written by people who actually understand their subject area deeply and their scholarship leaps off the page.
Cut a long story short: in my 40th year in the planet (32nd year as an obese person; 20th year as grossly obese), I have finally shed a ton of weight without any adverse effects (no headaches, lethargy, cotton-mouth, weird palpitations, and NO CRAVINGS) and feel better than I have in 2 decades. My stomach acid (which led to 2 ulcers) has gone completely - well, I mean, it is there but not causing any discomfort. The second best thing about this book, after the astonishing ease with which it's advice and understanding led me to lose weight, is that it fills in so many gaps in understanding that previous low carb and other diet books left. That means that I finally have proper answers for when doctors, colleagues and family get all stressed out with my diet being composed of about 95% (by calories) meat, fish and eggs. Though, their tone has changed over the last few months as they see that I am losing weight, full of energy (like, who knew sport was fun and the "let's do sport" feeling could come on spontaneously!), have overcome my severe forgetfulness, don't take proton pump inhibitors anymore, have cut my blood pressure from high 150s over mid 90s to low 120s over low 80s (happened in the first WEEK to those who claim it was the weight loss) without meds, sleep better than I can remember and feel like a new person.
I know this is a bit gushy (not a characteristic normally attributed to me), but these two authors have given me a new lease of life. Buy a few copies of this book; read one and give the rest to your doctor, dentist, nutritionist, local govt/state delegates, just basically everyone who needs a bracing dose of science and an understanding of how to fix things by changing what we all put in our mouths.
33 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2013
Due to the large amount of misunderstandings, myths and deliberate misinformation around the topic of living a low-carb lifestyle, many people trying to follow this diet will encounter severe 'resistance' from medical professionals - often including their own GP. This book is the *ideal* solution for that problem - simply buy a copy, hand it to the person and say "please read this, it was written for medical professionals, and then tell me if you still object to what I'm trying to do".

Having come from a scientific background, I bought this book because I wanted to get a better understanding of exactly how my low-carb diet was working.

This book is superbly written - but be warned - it appears to be aimed mainly towards GPs and the wider nutritional & medical professions. As such, I'd say it is not really a book written to provide dietary advice to 'lay persons'. It contains detailed descriptions of metabolic pathways, enzymes involved, in-depth endocrinology, biochemistry, etc.

Having said all that, I must say the *majority* of the book is quite 'readable' for non-scientific people ... but just be aware there are parts which sail way above the heads of us 'mere mortals'..!

This is a true **FIVE STAR** book, and should be compulsory reading for anyone seriously involved in nutrition or the medical treatment of obesity related conditions.
on 3 April 2012
In the last few years, low-carbohydrate diet has gradually been gaining acceptance among the public. There have been numerous books and articles proving the benefits of a low-carb diet and debunking the current low-fat dogma. However, most of them have been focusing on the WHY of low-carb diet, without showing the HOW. As someone who has been living low-carb for several months, I know from my experience and that of many others that it can be tricky to make the transition to low-carb diet painless and sustainable.

As the title suggests, that is what this book aims to do, and it has done it very successfully for me. The two authors are expert researchers in the field of low-carb diet, with more than 50 years of research and practice experience between them. In this book, they have distilled their knowledge on why and how to implement a low-carb diet down to a level accessible to the general public, without losing all of the scientific rigor. It starts from the very beginning of the journey, addressing many popular misconceptions such as "carbs are critical", "ketones are toxic", etc. It then goes on to show sound scientific evidence of how a low-carb diet is the proverbial silver bullet to insulin resistance and low-grade inflammation, the root cause of most of the chronic health problems nowadays. For example, the authors recount a clinical case of a severe diabetic patient, who could stop all insulin injection within one week of a very low-carb diet.

Perhaps the most valuable part of the book, in my opinion, is near the end, where the authors offer ten tips from their experience on what to look out for when transitioning to a low-carb diet. Things such as how low is a low-carb diet; what to replace the carb with to provide you with enough energy; the two weeks of fatigue at the beginning of the transition, etc. It gave me, and it will give you the confidence to stick to the diet in the face of contrary advice from mainstream media and doctors, and opposition from family and friends. I wouldn't have been able to do it otherwise.

In summary, this is another must-read book if you are planning on embarking on changing your diet and living style, or if you just want to find out what the buzz about low-carb is all about.
on 15 August 2011
This is a great source for those researching metabolic syndrome, diabetes, low carb diets, and healing and longevity in general. The authors synthesize a lot of material and their clinical experience. A must read.
on 11 March 2013
This book is well argued and evidenced. Prior to reading this I had my doubts about the health aspects of low -carb dieting (in spite of losing weight and feeling great) because of all the "low-fat is healthy" information that is pumped out continuously at us.

Following this advice I eat a healthy and delicious diet that is easy to maintain, and I am comfortable with the science. Kudos to the authors for having the courage to challenge the status quo. Never easy! I often thought to myself that in an age of Low-fat this and that why are so many people fat? This book explains why. The science is a bit heavy at times but worth taking the effort to understand.

Excellent, recommended
on 15 July 2012
This is probably the best book on low-carb diet if you're also interested in some of the science behind it. If you simply want directions on how to do good low-carb then get "New Atkins For a New You" or another similar book.
on 13 May 2015
I read this after the Art and Science of Low Carb Performance but reread it after this book. A thorough, evidence based approach to healthful eating. As a coach and trainer all of my successful clients follow this plan and have improved strength, body composition and health markers. My advice is to try this, get over the transition phase for the first few weeks and feel the effects. By all means seek your doctors advice first, fail to change your habits and enjoy the prospects of type 2 diabetes, weight gain and metabolic syndrome. For more on the politics of diet read Taubes " The Diet Delusion".
on 30 September 2012
This book is a "must read" for anyone interested in low carbohydrate eating or even healthy eating for that matter. I bought it on kindle,which was a reasonable price, but would pay twice as much for it.
on 29 April 2012
I came to this book via the blogs of Dr. Michael Eades and others.

In essence there has been a school of thought for many years now that asks the fundamental question, "given our efforts at exhorting people to reduce fat etc in our diets how come populations across the world are becoming fatter and heart desease and diabetes rates getting worse"?

Additionally Dr Eades has, through his own patient studies, identified that blood pressure and cholesterol levels can be managed better through diet (permanent diet not temporary).

The issue identified and explained by this book is that over the years our diets have included too much carbohydrate, and in particular carbs that are ingested into our bloodstream at too fast a rate. Our processed foods contain high levels of sugar in one form or another - this causes blood-sugar levels to rise and the body reacts by pumping insulin to counteract that. This "spiking" of insulin, according to the authors, can lead to the problems mentioned above.

This is my very simplified explanation of the issue. As I suffer from high blood pressure and cholesterol levels I have been prescribed medicines to counteract this including statins. Having come across concerns about the long-term use of statins I resolved to try and deal with the medical problem via diet if possible.

So, back to the book.

This book arises from a peer-reviewed study published by the authors and is aimed mainly at members of the medical profession encountering patients with these medical problems. Having said that they state, quite rightly in my opinion, that the layman would also gain tremendous value from reading the book. Certainly there is some technical discussion in the book about the physiological issues of this topic and some of it I had to read more than once to get a better understanding. I have no medical background but I would say I could follow a good 90% of the technical discussion. I find the logic of the argument compelling and indeed have embarked on the diet change having discussed it with my GP. I have also stopped taking the statins!

It is not a "quick no-effort solution" as it requires a permanent adjustment to one's dietary habits but I recommend both the logic and certainly the book to anyone affected by these issues.