Customer reviews

Lifemax 24W High Vision Reading Lamp Beige Table 250.2XBEI

on 27 March 2013
I was delighted when I first bought Lifemax 250.2 desk top reading ligghts because of the quality of the light. Now I am debvastated because I have been forced to scrap tnree in the last two months because they have all failed.

This was not the multiple bulbs but the lamp itself: the bulbs are actiually still working in a new lamp. These must be the only light fittimngs in the world where the bulb lasts longer than the lamp. I had the first one examined by a qualified electrician who said that some sort of booster fitting inside the lamp had failed and to fit a replacement part would cost more than the lamp. Since then, I have had to scrap two more, involing a long trip to the local tip and I am almost £100 our of pocket.Lifemax 250.2 Desktop High Vision Reading Light

Is this just faulty manufacter - or planned obsolecence?
on 9 March 2012
An advantage of the Flat Flex version is that it comes fully assembled and after removing the packaging it is ready for use. As an elderly user it is by far the best table lamp I have come across and I am delighted with it both as regards price and quality. I opted for free delivery and was amazed when it arrived only 24 hours after placing my order.
on 15 March 2012
i am so glad i bought this, i do alot of reading ect, and i was having headaches, but this light is so much better for my eyes it is bulky but worth its weight in gold , and i got it so cheap.
on 17 August 2012
Absolutely fantastic. The light itself is of exceptional quality and the rest of the unit is of excellent build quality and quite compact for its performance. I had bought a daylight desklamp from Amazon before - I think it was a German make. The casing of that became exceedingly hot and after a couple of months the light started to flicker, making the desklamp unusable. And it cost twice as much! A waste of money.
on 16 November 2013
I bought this 18 months ago and was pleased with it - until it suddenly stopped working. It was not a fuse, it was not the bulb but something inside the lamp. Seeing what it cost, I had expected that this product to be more durable and last longer. It is not the high quality product you would expect with that kind of price.

Having also bought an extra bulb (now utterly redundant) too, I was not amused when I approached Amazon to be told "just throw it away" and then being told to contact the manufacturer when it was Amazon who was the seller and the one who held ultimate responsibility for selling me the product.

I understand the warranty was only one year but at that kind of price, you would have expected something more and something better from Customer Service than what I got.

Bitterly disappointed with both product and the service I got from Amazon!
on 6 October 2012
[ASIN:B005CUC80S Lifemax Flat Flex Desktop High Vision Reading Light]
Bought this for my daughter's study desk. She had been using an ordinary "Low Voltage Halogen Desk Lamp" which barely did the job! This lamp uses near daylight bulbs, which allow you to read and concentrate for longer, helping to relieve eyestrain and headaches. This is an excellent product - perhaps physically - a little too big, but it's flexibility enabled her to fit it on the first shelf of her study desk (bends very well) thereby avoiding taking up precious space! The spread of light is very bright and even - no shadows. She said it's a huge improvement and makes a great difference. Great study lamp, whether for school or college and at HALF THE NORMAL PRICE (£70 down to £35) how could you go wrong? Grab yourself a bargain!
on 9 November 2012
Having read the other reviews, most people obviously find this light very useful, but I have just had to return it. Personally I found it too bright. That may sound bizarre, but the light seemed very harsh, and it hurt my eyes after I'd been using it for a few minutes. It may have been too close to my chair, but I didn't have any other place for it. I had high hopes, but it's not for me.
on 1 December 2013
Unfortunately, the tint of the light was not acceptable to my wife for whom the light was purchased. It gave her a headache and was therefore unuseable. This is not to say that the lamp would not be fine for other people.

We had to mak use of Amazon's very well set-out returns procedure. Here we encountered a problem we had not expected.Arrangements were made for the return package to be collected on a specific day and we were advised that we would receive an email on that day to inform us in which hour the return would be collected. I waited in all day until 6pm but no-one came to collect and we received no email.. I sent an email to Amazon that evening to state the situation and to ask what they were going to do next. I received no reply or acknowledgement to my email. Two days after the original return collection day, someone came to collect the return package. W had had no prior notification of this collection but fortunatelly my wife was at home and able to pass on the return package. We have not heard anything further from Amazon. I am surprised at this because Amazon seems to be a very efficient and customer-service oriented organisation and our xperience has hitherto always been good.
on 5 April 2012
Can't fault the delivery speed or the product itself. What I do query is the model number. The enclosed instructions state the lamp as being model number 251.2 but no other models have this number - now either numbered 250 or 251.X . Has this lamp subsequently been renumbered? Since I also want to buy some spare bulbs (251A according to the instructions but not available on Amazon under that number) what number bulbs can I buy which will fit this lamp? All rather confusing - help!
on 29 September 2012
This is identical to the one I just bought in Lidl for under £15 except its in black. Its exceptionally good (for the price I paid) and is much bigger, heavier and solid than I at first expected. In fact it is a little too big for the small table I have put it on but nevertheless I'm not unhappy with it. At 27w its not going to consume very much electricity either which is good.

UPDATE April 2013

The lamp went a month ago so it lasted precisley 5 months. A second lamp lasted one week (bought through Amazon and returned for a refund). A third lamp bought on the internet for a fiver from another retailer didnt work at all. All these lamps were manufactured in the Far East so maybe there is a moral there however I am now left wondering whether the last lamp really was a dud or whether the lamp holder itself is faulty in some way (this one was manufactured in Germany btw but as I said before is identical to the picture shown here except in black).
As it is so large and heavy it isnt really practical to take it to an electrical shop and ask them to test it for me - apart from the fact that they might charge unless I bought a new bulb.
Hey ho - write it off to experience I suppose. At least I only paid £15 for mine.
Regret 5 stars become 1 star.

See one answered question