on 29 October 2013
We've bought kitchen appliances from Andrew James before, so when we were looking for a waffle maker, we had no hesitation in choosing this one. Heats up quickly and makes GORGEOUS waffles in just 4 minutes. I was a little concerned by all the reviews about how difficult it is to clean, but we haven't experienced this at all. There's a pretty easy solution, actually - DON'T OVER FILL it! We have some American 'cup' measures, and a level 1/4 cup was perfect. And here's a fab recipe for ultra-healthy waffles (only 89 calories each, excluding toppings!):

Whole-Wheat Waffles

⅛ teaspoon salt

Warmed 100% pure maple syrup for serving
Fresh fruit for serving

Instructions

- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, honey, cinnamon, and baking soda until well combined.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk together just until the large lumps disappear.
- When the waffle iron is hot, spray it with some low calorie olive oil spray, and ladle in 1/4 cup of the mixture. Cook for 4 minutes.
- After cooking, top with pure maple syrup and fruit. Enjoy!
22 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2012
My son who is a waffle lover kept telling me to get this appliance mainly because it was red. Having never made even a pancake in my life I bought it thinking it would stay in the cupboard with the juice extractor, the steamer and other assorted dinosaurs.

So imagine my surprise when I followed the recipie to the letter and turned out 2 delicious waffles after another. Cannot fault it at all and it's been over a month now and still the kids can't get enough. I would just say to double the amount of sugar in the recipes as that will reduce the need for syrups, nutella, jams , etc.
on 2 July 2012
Item arrived very quickly. Relatively compact and neat product. Naturally I had to make waffles as soon as the product arrived, so I used the first recipe in the small booklet that comes with the maker. Takes a while to heat up, but when it does the temperature is super hot. The casing gets very hot too which is a shame and makes it just very slightly awkward to open. The recipe made 10 waffles (recipe forgets to tell you that), and as time went on I realised that the waffles cook quicker each time so it's important to note this fact. Approx 4 mins was the right cooking time from the first one, but decrease as you go on. There's no timer on the product which would be very helpful, but after a while you get feel for it and anyway you can open the maker up to gage the browness of the waffles. If you have them - a silcone brush is useful to brush out any crumbs and also a sturdy plastic scraper to scrape off those 'extra' bits that may ooze out of the machine.

Waffles are yummy and I'm looking forward to experimenting with ingredients. I bought this to mainly expand on my daughter's breakfast options and also I've seem a recipe for making rosti in waffle makers. I've added mashed banana to my waffle mix so it helps to get extra fruit into my daughter (unbeknown to her!), nice with a little honey on top.

Overall it makes decent waffles, happy enough with it so I would recommend it.
on 5 January 2012
great waffle maker - delivered promptly, instructions/recipe book included, easy to use, easy to clean - kids can do it themselves. Delicious waffles, far healthier than bought waffles. Thank you.
on 28 January 2013
I bought the red version because it's such a stark contrast to the rest of my kitchen. No quibbles about the maker's appearance.

The only two issues I have with this device are the "even-ness" of the cooking and the cleaning. I could never get a set of waffles that evenly cooked in all corners. They tended to look a little uncooked at the edges. However, this may be down to the (lack of) skill of the cook. Time will tell.

It is fiddly to clean if it overflows. A nice modification would be the ability to easily detach the waffle pads (or whatever they're called) for cleaning. I used a much older electric waffle iron that had this option.

These are minor complaints and the waffles I made disappeared as quickly as I could remove them from the iron. :)
on 26 February 2014
We bought this after a holiday in America travelling. A lot of the hotels we stayed in we could make our own waffles! This is a great machine and it's a treat for us on a Sunday morning! The bag of waffle mix is lovely but we had to try and work out enough of the mix for two each! So just a tip enough waffle mix for 4 waffles with the Andrew James waffle mix is 150 g of mix, 150 ml of water and 23 g of butter melted! Perfect and delicious! We just leave our waffles in for 2-3 mins as we like them a little less done than the instructions say! Enjoy!
on 6 May 2012
Bought this after much research and we are delighted with it. Armed with Aunt Jemima's mix it turned out perfect hotel quality waffles first time. Can't fault it and it's stylish too!
on 3 August 2014
Makes good waffles BUT incredibly difficult to clean. No side reservoirs to catch any excess batter (and there is always excess batter - seems impossible to get the quantity right to avoid an overspill).

The catch/lock frequently gets stuck meaning you have to scald your fingers trying to prize it open.

Usually takes a good 20 minutes to clean the unit after use.
on 18 January 2013
My family has test driven this one extensively. The non-stick coating seems very good, and the plates are solid cast and the hinges an integral part of them, so I don't anticipate mechanical problems from this pretty solid product. The results have been good with a variety of mix types, about 5-6 minutes per two waffles, and depending on the mix you make, light and crispy waffles are very possible (e.g. the kind of mix with cream, sugar and fizzy water). You'll soon learn not to overfill it, but if you do, clean-up isn't a total disaster, just a bit fiddly round the back -- remember, better under than over filled. General ease and good results, plus of course my daughter's insistence, have meant that this unit hasn't been gathering dust. Reasonable price-quality ratio which seems to be par for the course for this brand. Match it up with the Andrew James ice cream maker, and perhaps on a weekend you could enjoy a joint family exercise while indulging in homemade waffles and ice cream with a coffee (let the kids have theirs first, so you can enjoy your own afterwards in peace!). Cheap, no artificials and delicious in that satisfyingly wholesome unprocessed sort of way -- I'm not a tree hugger, that's my experience of food, and I think you can easily create genuine down-to-earth treats with this. So, basic but solid, does what it claims and not at an extortionate price; who could take stars away for that?
on 3 February 2012
I came to England not realizing that waffles are not a breakfast food here. I missed having nice, hot waffles dripping with butter and real maple syrup on a Sunday morning, so I bought this waffle iron. It is fabulous! I make my batter from my Mom's recipe and they turned out perfect. Brown and crispy on the outside, light on the inside....perfect! The iron is easy to use and easy to clean up...just use a kitchen paper towel and wipe. I am so glad I bought this. It is a bit more expensive than buying one in the States, but it is worth it.