Customer reviews

on 26 June 2012
I always have binoculars in my hand or pocket when I'm out & about. I use them for shepherding - checking on ewes lambing or cows calving without disturbing them, for observing activity at the entrances to my beehives from a safe distance, for birdwatching (I love to see birds but I'm not a serious birdwatcher) and generally looking at things when I'm out walking. I have previously had many pairs of cheap (£20 max) folding binns but having sold some old camera equipment for £110 I decided to treat myself to something better.
My requirements were :- 8 or 10x25, a folding design & good quality optics for up to £110. At £109 these Olympus binoculars fit the bill perfectly for my purposes. I have owned several Olympus compact cameras over the years & have always found the quality excellent so I had no hesitation when I found these binoculars.
They have a robust feeling, rubber exterior & the size, shape and weight when folded sits comfortably in one hand or a pocket (my hands are fairly small). The eyecups extend with one quick twist and cut out extraneous light quite effectively and the right eye adjustment stays put so I find them always correctly adjusted for my eyes. The focussing is very definite & the image clean & sharp. (from 10m away I can see the bees doing things that I wouldn't notice if I was standing right next to them) The lenscaps remove easily & the binoculars come in a good quality padded nylon case. The case does not have a strap, just a belt loop but I wouldn't use a strap anyway. The binoculars have a neckstrap that is a terrible fiddle to attach but once on it's on. Delivery time was also excellent. Ordered Thursday, arrived Saturday am with Super Saver delivery.
on 8 June 2017
Bought these 10x25 binocs mainly for bird watching in the garden and adjoining land at £69. They are light/ compact and feel good quality so far. The only issue is the neck strap which is rather nasty and difficult to fasten. I have bought OP/Tech QD loops to get round this. The magnification is good and as the size seems the same as the 8x25 binocs at the same price or less (the 8x25 £69 - £80 depending on colour) I would recommend these. I have knocked a star off for the cheap strap supplied.
on 14 June 2017
Excellent product. Very swift dispatch
on 27 August 2017
Item recv'd exactly as descrbd in listing . Wll packaged with speedy delivery - works perfectly
on 22 June 2015
Very well made. Optically comparable to Olympus 10x50 DPS I.which are excellent.Although there is marginally less light, this is not noticable until well after sunset. Excellent value.
on 28 August 2017
Ace
on 23 July 2017
Better than expected with a very clear view.
on 22 June 2017
Excellent .great size .clear.
I have just returned from an amazing Alaska cruise and would not have wanted to be without these bins, they performed astonishingly well and in no small part added to our holiday, allowing my wife to see whales jumping whilst I had them magnified through the lens of my camera!

We thought long and hard about what type on binoculars we wanted and decided size was an important factor; we wanted a compact camera to not only help with suitcase space but we felt we would be more likely to take it out on port days with us if compact, which we did with great success, again we were so thankful for these binoculars thanks to their performance and size.

The ten times magnification was ample and the quality of the glass in these bins made for very clear viewing. The field of view was ample enough to find your way when trying to locate whales in the sea or birds in the trees, they really performed magnificently all round. We opted for these rather than the equally excellent Olympus 10 x 21s - purely for their waterproof qualities, which again I am glad we did as there were plenty of days when we were viewing in rain or morning mist. But the 10 x 21s are also an excellent option and are even smaller and lighter than these, but for peace of mind I prefer these although they have a slightly higher price tag.

All in all these are a fantastic pair of waterproof compact bins that give brilliant viewing quality, I would not hesitate to recommend them for a cruise / general nature watching. For astronomy they are OK but we have a more powerful (and much larger) set of binoculars better suited to astronomy viewing.
review image review image review image review image
on 16 January 2014
Summary
This are excellent binoculars for the price. My only criticism is for some play of the focusing wheel. Else they are just brilliant. I actually think it may even be a design choice as the play seems to allow fine tuning rather than being just loose, but I still don't like it.

Portability: 10/10
They are foldable and really small.
They come with a well made, perfectly fitting, simple but effective case.
They are light to carry but not too light to use.
The strap is fine

Optical quality: 10/10
They use a BaK4 prism, multicoated lenses and the prism is Phase Coated, a rarity in this price range.

Mechanical quality: 9/10
They are waterproof and nitrogen filled.
Bearing in mind that there are some excellent binoculars in this price range with magnesium body, I am quite impressed: they feel extremely solid and well made. They are well padded and well finished. The eyecup have only a single twist regulation but they are well made and operate well. The inter-pupillary and dioptric adjustment regulations are excellent: smooth, precise and stay in place. The only issue for me is the mechanical play of the focusing wheel.

Optical performance: 10/10
I would rate them in absolute terms 8/10 or even 9/10 considering the excellent FoV.
This is remarkable as there compact binoculars with ED glasses and dielectric coatings, costing several times more in the market. Yet the center clarity is excellent, corner clarity is very good, brightness is excellent, contrast is excellent, field of view is outstanding, chromatic aberration seems well controlled and they even have a good bokeeh (out of focus smoothness)!

Operation: 8/10
Minimum distance focus is excellent. They fit well in hand. They can be regulated precisely and fit individual needs. Eye relief is not the greatest, but it is fine for me. It is just a shame that the play of the focus wheel makes the focusing action less enjoyable. It is still accurate, but ultra-precise focusing is a slow business.

I was looking to a good portable compact to complement some bigger pairs. I am finally happy, after trying two other models of different makers, which I returned (one was very good but faulty, the other was good optically but out of specifications and poorly finished).