on 29 December 2014
I bought this as a deal of the day so it wasn't expensive. And it's very good as a tutor. I already play ukelele a bit and play guitar as a main instrument so the theory etc was easy enough. However, the print version has a cd and it would be very useful to hear some of the techniques which just don't happen with the kindle version. I thought maybe there would be mp3s embedded but no such luck and that was probably too optimistic. So buy the print version!
on 7 April 2017
Brilliant first book for anyone learning the Ukulele. Covering everything from the parts that make up the instrument, to tuning, and how to correctly hold the instrument. Along with fascinating tidbits on the history of the instrument and music. Easy to follow guides for chord fingering and how to strum effectively. And advice on how to sort out common problems with playing.
on 8 March 2015
I think this is the "go to" book for learning uke. The author covers the basics in a logical order and goes on to cover a wide range of playing styles. I think if you're only going to buy one ukulele book, it should be this one. I particularly like that he starts with strumming and chords, covering melodies later. Most tuition books seem to do it the other way round, which must put people off - there are only so many times I can play "Michael, row the boat ashore" without losing the will to live :)

Also, if you don't have a uke yet but are thinking of buying one, there is a good chapter on buying a uke and what pitfalls to avoid. Similar info can be found online, but it's useful to have it all in one place.
on 13 February 2018
This would be a 5-star book if there existed a version of it specifically for left-handed players - the chord charts are very confusing if you're a left-handed beginner (I had to print out a separate set from the internet and use those instead). To the author's credit, left-handers do at least get a mention towards the start of the book but the advice for reading chord charts (imagine the neck as transparent/mirror image) wasn't helpful. There's a real lack of resources for left-handed players (we're not that rare!) generally, which is disappointing.
on 31 March 2013
This is a well written and step by step guide. i have been following the website ukehunt for a while and was pleased when this book was announced, i like the friendly and casual writing style. Which informs without patronising.

As with many ukulele books some of the songs which it offers up as lessons / examples are not too well known and so some research is required to find out what they should sound like.

I do wish that the enhanced features were available on android devices as well, and this is why the product does not get 5 stars.

The diagrams are clear and i have noticed that my playing has improved.
on 30 August 2013
I have found this book to be an excellent guide for beginners on the ukulele. HOWEVER - Don't make the same mistake that I did - I ordered the Kindle version as I was going away on holiday and taking my instrument with me. The BOOK comes with an audio CD which, of course, the Kindle version has not got. I ended up going out to buy the paper version the day before my holiday as I couldn't order it online - too late!
The book has lots of tips from starting points such as 'How to hold your ukulele, and covers different music genres from folk to rock. I would certainly recommend this book for beginners.
on 3 January 2013
This is the first time I have picked up a musical instrument in my life at 41 years old and its the first time I have bought a "For Dummies " book. The first time I read the book it all seemed a bit confusing,but after reading it through a few times everything becomes clearer.I really appreciate the authors advice on Left handed playing,strumming the Ukulele with the dominant hand is much comfier.I feel as a novice that this book is going to keep me happy for a long time to come because the information goes well beyond the begginer stage.I wasn,t sure about the Dummies style of writing at first but,I am starting to get the Idea now,although I still think the old idea of a simple glossary of terms would have been a big help.

So yeah a cracking book,excellent value for money and with my economy ukulele,I am really enjoying my new found hobby.
on 15 April 2013
Sometimes these "Dummies" books really do treat their readers as if they are "Dummies" and this one is no exception. The often childlike wordage tends to get in the way of the real nitty gritty. I often feel like getting a black marker and redacting the rubbish before I start on a "Dummies" book although I prefer to go for something else instead! There is a wide range of information out there for those who do not like being treated as a moron.
on 25 January 2015
I bought a uke after Christmas as my first ever musical instrument and I bought this book at the same time. I have to say that it is great self teaching manual. I also use an online course (Ukulele Tricks - fantastic), but I do like to sit down with a good book to really understand the background to what I'm trying to learn.
Highly recommended.
on 6 March 2016
Book is okay it give you a lot of background information.... I thought it would help me learn how to play but it's more the history of the ukulele along with a couple of other bits.