on 26 May 2017
Great game hours of fun
on 26 February 2016
The Monkey Island franchise was a cornerstone of my youth.
I'd spend hours and hours trying to crack the delightfully esoteric puzzles.
Brilliant then,brilliant now
on 16 October 2011
If, like me, you loved this game when it was originally released then you won't be disappointed with the PS3 version. It's been tidied up graphics wise, but hasn't lost any of the charm/humour. I was worried it wouldn't do the original justice, but I couldn't have been more wrong.
on 11 September 2011
I owned this game in it's origional guise - blocky graphics and text instead of sound which they have included. Have been waiting some 20 years to play again and when I saw it was out for PS3 I simply couldn't resist. They have re-drawn the game to make it look better for the modern generation. The gameplay itself is exactly the same as the old. Great humour and example of play-ability. Perhaps the kid's of today will be bored but for those who are interested in simple old school gaming then there is nothing better. They have included the sequel on the same disc which I have never played so it will be interesting to see wether they messed things up or not. This game I think is ultimately for us older guys and girls to relive the simplicity and perhaps because of that experience the charm that ultimately brings you back.
on 11 September 2011
Let me explain:

I bought this game on Friday and had two distinct problems from my experience: 1) Mandatory install which randomly kicked in every so often upon the game being booted up and lasted a good twenty minutes. Trying to locate the install data was an impossibility because of the simple fact that it could not be located in GAME DATA - whereas other similar collections that require an install (such as Tomb Raider) can have their data located there. 2) Freezing - I approached the end of chapter 1 of the first game and it froze. Three times. All at the same point. I put this down to the install issue again - the game is probably seeking this extra data from the HDD only... it isn't there.

My advice? If you want these games you can buy a Digital download bundle off the Playstation Network which includes both of these games for £11.99. Sure you might not have a disc or the extras (not a lot, admittedly), but at least you are guaranteed to have a game that works.

I'd wager Lucasarts/Activision will release a patch eventually to fix the install issue in particular, but why wait on an event that might not happen?
55 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2012
i remember playing monkey island 1 & 2 on the pc years ago, and they're just as delightful now.
their light humour and charm is still fresh, and the new new artwork adds a pretty veneer to what are fine games
on 17 April 2012
This game is good fun. I played it years ago on pc and its just as much fun now. The new graphics enhance the game. I would recommend it.
on 17 November 2015
Monkey Island series is one of the icons of graphic adventure genre from early 90s. This edition has first two games. Remaster is wonderfully done, presenting the games to the new generation of gamers. Additionally you can switch between new, remastered version and original one in real time. Funny comments of the original development team are like cherry on the top of this edition. Everyone should play this game.
on 22 September 2011
Played these monkey island games in my youth for hours and loved them, This version brings the game up to date with nice cartoon like graphics without changing the gameplay. This game is probably not for everyone, but if you like fun puzzle like games or played the original you will love this. Also loved the fact by pressing the 'select' button it instantly changes the game back to the original graphics, great touch to remind you of the originl classic.
Only down side for me was that I must of played it too much when I was younger because (surprisingly for me!) I remembered alot of the puzzles which made the game abit easy and quick, so definitly recommend this who those new to the game. On a end note def worth buying.
on 10 February 2014
What an enthralling game. I played the special edition first and now I am nearly through the Monkey Island 2 which is included on the disc. I bought the game on the say so and ratings of previous players and have enjoyed playing it from the word go. You journey from island to island and the solving of the puzzles are great. Buy it and see for yourselves.