Customer reviews

I'M JESSI COLTER, JESSI, DIAMOND IN THE
Format: Audio CD|Change

#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 100 REVIEWERon 21 April 2014
Jessi Colter is not normally mentioned in discussions or articles about the great female country singers, so it came as a welcome surprise to me that six of her Capitol albums had been re-mastered and released on CD. The first three are featured her, with the remaining three on Miriam / That's The Way A Cowboy Rocks And Rolls / Ridin' Shotgun. The only one I ever bought on vinyl was That's the way a cowboy rocks and rolls, so everything else is new to me except tracks I've heard elsewhere.

Jessi's two classic songs (I'm not Lisa, Storms never last) are both featured among the tracks here. I'm not Lisa (an American country hit that was also a top 5 pop hit) has been covered by severall other artists including Lynn Anderson (whose version was the first one I heard, even before Jessi's original) and Elizabeth Cook.

Storms never last, here recorded solo, became a country hit after Jessi recorded it as a duet with Waylon Jennings. For that version, you must look elsewhere.

Jessi also had a top 5 country hit with What's happened to blue eyes, another great track here, while you'll also find covers of two Beatles songs, Get back and Hey Jude.

It's great to have these albums on CD, but there are plenty of other country singers who still have very little on CD except hits compilations, and who are just as deserving of CD releases of original albums. I'll look on Jessi's releases as a positive sign that there are serious efforts being made to re-master country albums for CD.
on 8 October 2011
First heard Jessi Colter on "The Outlaws" album. Being a big Waylon Jennings fan I have also seen Jessi many times in concert as she nearly always of his shows.
But if she did a tour of her own I'd be there like a shot.

As for this release the the songs and backing music sound as if they were recorded today instead of all those years ago. Jessi's haunting vocals are just superb.
You get three great albums for the price of one, in my opinion a must buy.

Buy it, and I bet you will be looking for her other albums.
on 6 May 2016
Started appreciating Jessi C when I came across her on YouTube. This lady has talent, with a style of her own and I rate her higher than her late husband Waylon Jennings. This is a good value cd comprising 3 previously issued cds. If you want to sample before buying then try " I thought I heard you calling my name" or "I'm looking for Blue Eyes".
on 18 September 2011
Jessi Colter has always been underrated as an artist, but she recorded a string of terrific albums for Capitol Records from 1975 to 1981, as well as a duet album with her husband, Waylon Jennings. Thanks to BGO for bringing her first three Capitol albums back into print with this terrific reissue (and hopefully will consider releasing her 3 other Capitol albums, "Mirriam", "That's the Way the Cowboy Rocks and Rolls", and "Ridin' Shotgun"). However, the liner notes leave much to be desired. I'm not sure the writer even knows who Jessi Colter IS! His major source reference for much information is Wikipedia (and we know how reliable they can be!). He has not conducted any new interviews with Jessi, nor her album producers. That was a major disappointment, on an otherwise welcome release. I would rather have had the booklet include full-page reproductions of the front and back of each album instead of these uninformative, cobbled together liner notes.
on 25 November 2014
Great buy
on 24 June 2013
A very welcome addition to my collection of Music. I enjoy the variety of tempos and styles of songs. Thank you.