on 25 September 2015
Simply amazing. If you have a decent espresso machine with a 3-way solenoid you need this.

I discovered this by chance. Having de-scaled using the Gaggia descaling solution and still getting poor flow through the group head and pressurised filter I learned that regular back flushing and cleaning of the filters is necessary.

It is important to note that back flushing is only for machines with a 3-way solenoid [e.g. the Gaggia Classic and some Baby Gaggias]. Do not attempt to back flush machines that do not have a 3-way valve.

Why backflush? Because the 3-way valve allows left over coffee to drain "backwards" from the "coffee puck", through the valve and out into the drip tray. This relieves pressure and makes for a drier coffee puck with less dripping. But that fresh espresso dries onto the inside of the screen area and the valve itself and soon becomes old stale espresso. By cleaning on a regular basis you will ensure that your lovely fresh espresso is not tainted by the last shot's, or worse, past years, flavours!

Having learned more through watching a few online videos I also discovered that pressurised filters are prone to clogging up due to the fact that the oils settle between the part of the filter with many holes and the single hole beneath.

Cafiza is something I wish I'd discovered sooner as it may have helped prevent my filter becoming clogged and it might have lasted longer.

However, after a back flush, using a blind filter purchased separately, and replacing the old filter basket with a new one, everything was back to normal and the Gaggia Classic is performing magnificently once again.

This stuff is magic in the way it cleans. Only a small amount mixed with warm water in a metal or glass [NOT PLASTIC] jug is needed to clean your portafilter holder, screen filter, filter basket and other peripherals. It works like magic on those tea tainted spoons too and even restored a tainted soy sauce bottle to a sparkling squeaky clean state.

Simply amazing.
review image
on 26 July 2013
Virtually every manufacturer, Barista and shop recommends this product, so it's the safest option to go for if in any doubt. However, I am reasonably confident it's just standard soda crystals, which you can but for a fifth of the price!

Anyway - it is a nice big container full, and even backflushing every two weeks (this is not a descaler) it'll probably last you a year so still a good investment to be on the safe side! You'll need a blind basket (without holes) and backflushing is quick and simple to do, but very worth it; especially if your machine does not have triple solenoid valve that releases pressure. Most don't!
on 14 March 2016
If you are in anyway serious about the standard of coffee you drink, sooner than later you will need to "backflush" your espresso machine. This process removes all the oils and other residues left behind each time you pull a shot of coffee. The difference in the taste of coffee made after backflushing your machine can be dramatic. I got my Gaggia Classic machine almost 2 years ago and although I had descaled it a few times, I hadn't bothered to backflush it. It was only when my machine had difficulty pumping watera few weeks ago that I decided to backflush it for the first time. After a bit of detective work I found that Urnex Cafiza is recommended for all major espresso machines. Just a small amount of the powder dissolved in water and left to work on the pipework of the machine will restore your machine to almost factory standard. Now that I know some more about how my espresso machine works, I will be backflushing it every few weeks.
on 16 October 2014
If you don't clean your machine regularly the rancid and stale residual oils make your coffee taste bitter. The machine manufacturers sell obscenely overpriced cleaning and descaling products threatening to void your warranty. They all use the same chemicals in their products (sodium bicarb for cleaner and citric acid for descaler) and try to confuse you with misleading labelling. If the baristas are using this product on their several thousand quid machines then I'm sure it'll be fine in a 300 quid delonghi.
on 30 December 2015
After 3 years of trying to remove coffee oils from my DeLongi expresso machine around the group head & filer, I have discovered Cafiza 2. This cleans my home expresso coffee maker completely, oils & all. This is a great product which is widely used in coffee shops & restaurants. Then I perform a descale using the latest descalers also from Amazon.
on 2 February 2016
Great for cleaning the espresso machine - assuming you have a two-valve machine that can be back flushed, and a blanking disc.

Excellent value compared with the tablets I was using before, and seems far more effective.
on 3 March 2015
I was surprised at how easily my clogged up coffee machine became clean using this powder. If you check out Smokey Barn Coffee Roasters on You Tube for tips on flushing your coffee machine and also get an appropriate cleaning basket, your machine will always be clean.
on 10 February 2015
Very effective cleaning agent for backflushing of a coffee machine.
Breaks down coffee buildup inside the machine and group head.
Also can be used for cleaning the chrome of the coffee machine itself, or even getting rid of coffee stains from tablecloths. To do so, put 5g in a rameken with a small amount of hot water, dab on a cloth and use to clean.
on 3 June 2013
I bought this after watching 'backflushing' videos online. It was also recommended for soaking portafilter baskets.
I've used it for that as well as for cleaning a stainless steel double walled french press, teaspoons with moulded designs, stained cups etc and have found it excellent for cleaning all of them. I suspect that theres a bit of bio enzyme action as similar results can be obtained with biological washing powder, the difference being that this product is food rated and will rinse with plain water to leave no discernible residue, taste or smell. I like it and will buy again when I need to; there are approximately 300 doses of the 3 g necessary to clean my coffee machine so even using it weekly and soaking other stuff as well, it will probably last a couple of years and that's a bit of a bargain.
on 9 January 2015
Excellent product removes all the bitter coffee oils from the filter of my Gaggia classic. Only a small amount required with a blank basket to achieve success and have the coffee tasting as good as it can be. I now use this product on a regular (Weekly) basis to cleaN the coffee filters and the end result result is no more bitter taste!!!