Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Back in 2011, I noticed that there was a new Barenaked Ladies compilation coming out. To be perfectly honest, I'd never had much of an interest in the band before (naturally, I'd heard One Week before, but you'd have to have been living under a rock not to know that one), but they are the kind of group that have quite a dedicated, enthusiastic fan base and, on the strength of how much their fans rave about them, I figured that I should probably invest in a “best of” to get a flavour of their material. Formed in Canada, nearly three decades ago, Barenaked Ladies were founded by Ed Robertson and Steven Page (who left the band in 2009) and mixed upbeat indie-rock with often humorous lyrics, winning them as many fans for their onstage banter as for their music. Some fans have stated online that this compilation doesn't do the band justice at a mere fourteen tracks and some notable omissions (Be My Yoko Ono is certainly one I know about) but, as the kind of person this album is aimed at, I think it provides a decent and enjoyable overview of the band's music without letting the quality slip too much throughout.

The excellent If I Had $1,000,000 reminds me, a little, of Dr. Hook's gentle country-flavoured musical comedy style in the 1970s, with the hit rate of at least one genuine smile per verse, but, musically, is atypical of the majority of songs on this album. The Old Apartment is a big slice of catchy powerpop, the live version of Brian Wilson included here shows why fans rate the song so highly (I'd have much preferred a studio version, personally) and global smash hit One Week is brash, silly and infectious. It's All Been Done is a gorgeous Teenage Fanclub-on-steroids helping of melodic guitar pop and delicious melodies and Another Postcard is reminiscent of the kind of quirky songwriting They Might Be Giants specialise in. There's also the Big Bang Theory Theme, which is an exclusive to this particular compilation (crafty way of getting big fans to buy this), a fun, witty and enjoyable track, although, again, it is quite similar to the style of They Might Be Giants; it does feature a rather nifty synthesiser solo, though.

It's not all sheer brilliance; well, not in my opinion, anyway. Whilst the vast majority of this compilation is very easy on the ears, some of it feels a bit too loud and unsubtle for my tastes (Pinch Me and Too Little Too Late, for example) and I'm left thinking that plenty of other bands do this kind of upbeat guitar pop with much greater aplomb and grace than Barenaked Ladies. The fact that this is supposed to be a condensed taster of the very best of the band doesn't exactly make me want to buy more BNL albums and discover supposedly lesser tracks. Listening to it a few times hasn't particularly changed my mind on this and, although I've enjoyed listening to this “best of”, I think one Barenaked Ladies album that has most of their best known songs is plenty enough for me.
on 27 September 2011
As a diehard BNL fan who owns every album and all the rarities, I can honestly say I was pretty letdown with the tracklist at first.

There is nothing new being released on this album. In fact, 9 of these songs were already released on BNL's previous greatest hits record. However, this is the first time the Big Bang Theory theme song is being released on the record. That is the key.

Though this collection is not for diehard fans, it is great for introducing new fans. The Big Bang Theory has a very large audience, and I'm sure a majority of them either 1.) Want the theme song 2.) Are curious about BNL or 3.) Both.

This will trigger many people to buy this record. It is great for introducing fans because it has all their hits from the 90's, as well as some recent singles such as "Easy" and "You Run Away". It spans their whole career. Many BBT fans will likely hear songs like "One Week" or "Pinch Me" and go "Hey, I know these songs! I didn't know these were by Barenaked Ladies!", which will suck them in even more so.

So from a marketing standpoint, this album will be great for the band. It will definitely garner new fans.

Though it is not exactly for hardcore fans, at least we have the deluxe edition to look forward to!
55 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2014
I don't know enough about this group to say very much. We bought the CD because my son is a huge "Big Bang Theory" fan and the CD includes the theme song. We are all enjoying listening to this. I just love "If I had a million dollars..."
on 28 June 2016
This new CD by Barenaked Ladies is incredibly good, and definitely not tacky or trashy! In fact it's more like an introduction CD compilation. Buy this for a best friend or a much-loved chum, and love this perfect selection by the Barenaked Ladies.
on 11 June 2013
Great band. Great tracks. But........
REALLY nasty little cardboard sleeve, specially designed to scuff your CD.
No information other than track list. They may have well put it in a plastic CD wallet. At least it would've been safer!
on 30 May 2013
The best track on here by a country mile is the theme tune for The Big Bang Theory but there are other good tracks as well, of which I can name none off the top of my head ...
on 4 July 2014
Full of classic songs played it to my seven yesr old grandson and he disappeared with it back to Sweden. - What can you say???
on 3 April 2016
Excellent album ,funny songs,with the big bang theory theme included cant understand why they are not more popular
on 1 August 2013
All your favourite bare naked ladies in one place. Keep it near you at all times. Would recommend to a friend.
on 27 November 2014
Excellent album by a band that few people know. Worth a buy just to get the full length big bang theory theme